Help! Any Aussie growers out there?

Hairy Maclary

420 Member
Hey there my fellow Australians!

I am sure a lot of these questions have been asked and answered before, but what I am really looking for is some information relating SPECIFICALLY to purchasing, and the whereabouts of purchasing, some key components for growing in AUSTRALIA. I have read numerous posts over the last month or so and every time I go looking for the products themselves I either can’t find them, or find variations I’m not sure are applicable/correct to use...

Now full disclosure on a few things, just to get the information tailored correctly. First, I have only attempted thus far to purchase items from Bunnings (I am aware this is probably not the optimum choice) and don’t really ask anyone for . Which leads me to my next point in that I have never grown ANYTHING before in my life, so the idea of going into a hydroponics store to ask for information fills me with dread, not only for the fact I don’t have any idea what I am talking about/asking for, but to also not even have the ability to be honest with someone as to why I am asking for what I need (hence the visiting Bunnings). Third, I am only looking to grow a couple of plants (growing indoors, I already have the tent, lightning, ect) as my daughter is unwell and it helps in her healing, so I am not looking to grow fields and fields of it (maybe an extra plant for myself. lol). And lastly I have time, dedication and reasonable funding to get this done, so none of those things are issues, this more so boils down to knowledge and information...

Thank you so much if you have read this far, I really appreciate you taking up your time to help with this. So for that I’ll just jump straight into the questions:

1. Soil/Soilless - I have been reading about the two and it seams that soil is more the way to go, but certainly not against the idea of using a Coir/Perlite mix if recommended. To answer either simply can someone recommend a SPECIFIC brand/type I should be using (screen shot would be fantastic!)?

2. Nutrients - This one is actually causing me loss of sleep at night. There was a fantastic post done by Captain Goodvibes back in July relating to coco grows and supplies from Bunnings required, specifically nutrients, and I simply can’t find the ones specifically listed in his thread. It seems the more I look into this subject directly, the more confused I get. Am I over complicating things? So similar to the above question, can someone list the SPECIFIC brand I should use and if better to source away from Bunnings, where I should go to get (again, screenshots would be winning!!)?

3 Germination Process- As stated before I have been doing plenty of reading of the subject of growing and understand about the germination process on an amateur level. My question is more around the environment I should be surrounding my germinating seeds in (thinking I will either plant straight into the growing medium, or paper towel method)? By that I mean can I just have them sitting on the kitchen bench? Should I leave outside? Should I put under a grow light? Any assistance here would also be priceless...

Again I really can’t thank you enough for taking the time to read this, and potentially surrender more time answering. I, and my family are truly grateful.

Peace and Harmony.
HC

P.s. if there is anyone out there in the Melbourne area that is interested in reaching out, that would be amazing. Not holding my breath on that, just thought I would put it out there.

Hey Hairy,

Welcome to forums at 420. We have some members here from Aussieland, but not sure about the Melbourne part. Also think you need to search the web better to find retailers and possibly grow shops in your area / country. The other growers here from your country are able to source soil, nutes and other grow materials but obviously the product offerings are not as comprehensive or the same brands as the ones avaliable in the US or Canada.

Soil grows and coco grows are totally different. Soil grows benefit from the wet dry cycle.
Coco grows must be fed low strength nutes every day and cannot be allowed to dry out. Coco looks like soil but it is a form of hydroponic gardening, so hydro rules apply.

Just be patient and more folks will stop in soon.

Hey Hairy,

Welcome to forums at 420. We have some members here from Aussieland, but not sure about the Melbourne part. Also think you need to search the web better to find retailers and possibly grow shops in your area / country. The other growers here from your country are able to source soil, nutes and other grow materials but obviously the product offerings are not as comprehensive or the same brands as the ones avaliable in the US or Canada.

Soil grows and coco grows are totally different. Soil grows benefit from the wet dry cycle.
Coco grows must be fed low strength nutes every day and cannot be allowed to dry out. Coco looks like soil but it is a form of hydroponic gardening, so hydro rules apply.

Just be patient and more folks will stop in soon.

Yeah some really good points you make there 013. I should have been a little clearer about my question about the growing medium... If my primary reason was for myself, I’d love to play around/experiment with Coco, as I quite like the idea using it based on what I have read. However as outlined in my original thread I have a serious want to get it right ASAP, and from my understanding using Soil is a little more forgiving for those with no grow experience. So to summarise I’ll probably be growing in soil (and in which case some suggestions from Aussies about a specific soil would be gold) but happy to entertain the idea of using coco...

thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Coco is great for your girls. Gives you the benefits of hydro with the convenience of a soil grow. Cant help with sourcing as I’m in Canada. I have talked to others here from Australia hopefully they can help you find what’s needed.

Hey there my fellow Australians!

I am sure a lot of these questions have been asked and answered before, but what I am really looking for is some information relating SPECIFICALLY to purchasing, and the whereabouts of purchasing, some key components for growing in AUSTRALIA. I have read numerous posts over the last month or so and every time I go looking for the products themselves I either can’t find them, or find variations I’m not sure are applicable/correct to use...

Now full disclosure on a few things, just to get the information tailored correctly. First, I have only attempted thus far to purchase items from Bunnings (I am aware this is probably not the optimum choice) and don’t really ask anyone for . Which leads me to my next point in that I have never grown ANYTHING before in my life, so the idea of going into a hydroponics store to ask for information fills me with dread, not only for the fact I don’t have any idea what I am talking about/asking for, but to also not even have the ability to be honest with someone as to why I am asking for what I need (hence the visiting Bunnings). Third, I am only looking to grow a couple of plants (growing indoors, I already have the tent, lightning, ect) as my daughter is unwell and it helps in her healing, so I am not looking to grow fields and fields of it (maybe an extra plant for myself. lol). And lastly I have time, dedication and reasonable funding to get this done, so none of those things are issues, this more so boils down to knowledge and information...

Thank you so much if you have read this far, I really appreciate you taking up your time to help with this. So for that I’ll just jump straight into the questions:

1. Soil/Soilless - I have been reading about the two and it seams that soil is more the way to go, but certainly not against the idea of using a Coir/Perlite mix if recommended. To answer either simply can someone recommend a SPECIFIC brand/type I should be using (screen shot would be fantastic!)?

2. Nutrients - This one is actually causing me loss of sleep at night. There was a fantastic post done by Captain Goodvibes back in July relating to coco grows and supplies from Bunnings required, specifically nutrients, and I simply can’t find the ones specifically listed in his thread. It seems the more I look into this subject directly, the more confused I get. Am I over complicating things? So similar to the above question, can someone list the SPECIFIC brand I should use and if better to source away from Bunnings, where I should go to get (again, screenshots would be winning!!)?

3 Germination Process- As stated before I have been doing plenty of reading of the subject of growing and understand about the germination process on an amateur level. My question is more around the environment I should be surrounding my germinating seeds in (thinking I will either plant straight into the growing medium, or paper towel method)? By that I mean can I just have them sitting on the kitchen bench? Should I leave outside? Should I put under a grow light? Any assistance here would also be priceless...

Again I really can’t thank you enough for taking the time to read this, and potentially surrender more time answering. I, and my family are truly grateful.

Peace and Harmony.
HC

P.s. if there is anyone out there in the Melbourne area that is interested in reaching out, that would be amazing. Not holding my breath on that, just thought I would put it out there.
G'day from an Aussie Qlander
50%Coco, 25%vermiculite,25%perlite
Based on me doing 90 ltr mix
Place Ingredients in Suitable Size container fill with Tank Water THEN ADD 4 Tablespoons Unsulphured Mollassis,90 MLS Seasoll,45 MLS of Eco dolomite and cover and soak for 48 hours,then rinse by putting thru some shade cloth and eliminating any salts left behind.
Bingo....Medium.
Mollassis keeps pests away and provides the sugars required,Seasoll for veg and Eco dolomite pH buffer very concentrated seaweed etc,The medium is now carting Enuff ingredients to provide 2 weeks of only feeding PhD water.
Then it's all trial and error from there.
After 2 weeks your girl should be very healthy and ready for your feeding regime.
I add 1 teaspoon of Mollassis to every 5 litres of water and 2.5 MLS Seasoll gradually getting to almost 10 MLS Seasoll during veg and then 1 week before flip start replacing seasoll with powerfeed EG 8mls seasoll 2 MLS powerfeed and so on till you are feeding powerfeed
Go Go Juice is handy on the shelf at your discretionI cannot stress Enuff that your PH MUST be 5.8-6.2 and you should produce some nice sticky nugs
I'm sure some of our other members will have many other ideas for you so just suck and see your first grow
I also check my runoff every 3 Rd feed just to make sure the pH is above 7 lower than 8 simply because the Eco dolomite gives U a higher reading as it should however it's not gospel to do..
Good Luck

First, I have only attempted thus far to purchase items from Bunnings (I am aware this is probably not the optimum choice) and don’t really ask anyone for . Which leads me to my next point in that I have never grown ANYTHING before in my life, so the idea of going into a hydroponics store to ask for information fills me with dread, not only for the fact I don’t have any idea what I am talking about/asking for, but to also not even have the ability to be honest with someone as to why I am asking for what I need (hence the visiting Bunnings).
I understand.

When I first started several years ago I was a bit uncomfortable walking into a hydro store or grow shop. The thing is that after several weeks of reading web page after page I needed to follow up by looking at the products I was thinking about buying.

The best thing to do is make notes. Walk into your local hydro or grow shops and see what they have. Just tell them that you are trying to find the items on your list. My opinion is to not ask for prices, just ask if they have the item or something that will replace it. See how they react to you already having some idea of what you are doing. I have noticed that this will break the ice as the saying goes.

Based on an experience in a local shop is this little conversation I watched and listened to. A young guy walks in and looks around. The clerk asks if he can help. The guy says he wants "the LED light". Clerk takes him over to the LED light section and asks some questions to get a feeling for how much lighting the guy needs. The guy says he needs the LED light that is in the youtube video. Clerk asks what LED he is thinking about. The guy keeps saying the same light in the youtube video. Clerk says they carry approx 20 different LED light brands and configurations. Guy keeps saying it is the light in the video. Clerks says whose video. Guy does not know but the light was great and the video showed 5 foot tall plants. Clerk says that they can use the store computer to go to youtube and look for the video if the guy can remember the name. Guy says he only watched a couple of videos so it should not be that hard for the clerk to know which one had "the LED light". After a couple of minutes of this the young guy leaves because apparently the clerk did not know anything about LED lighting.

The moral of the story is to make some notes and take them in with you the first time or two until you get comfortable walking into these types of stores.

Many of our local hydro and grow shops have customers that mostly are growing Marijuana but they also cater to a growing number of customers who need supplies for their outdoor or indoor flower and vegetable gardens.

G'day from an Aussie Qlander
50%Coco, 25%vermiculite,25%perlite
Based on me doing 90 ltr mix
Place Ingredients in Suitable Size container fill with Tank Water THEN ADD 4 Tablespoons Unsulphured Mollassis,90 MLS Seasoll,45 MLS of Eco dolomite and cover and soak for 48 hours,then rinse by putting thru some shade cloth and eliminating any salts left behind.
Bingo....Medium.
Mollassis keeps pests away and provides the sugars required,Seasoll for veg and Eco dolomite pH buffer very concentrated seaweed etc,The medium is now carting Enuff ingredients to provide 2 weeks of only feeding PhD water.
Then it's all trial and error from there.
After 2 weeks your girl should be very healthy and ready for your feeding regime.
I add 1 teaspoon of Mollassis to every 5 litres of water and 2.5 MLS Seasoll gradually getting to almost 10 MLS Seasoll during veg and then 1 week before flip start replacing seasoll with powerfeed EG 8mls seasoll 2 MLS powerfeed and so on till you are feeding powerfeed
Go Go Juice is handy on the shelf at your discretionI cannot stress Enuff that your PH MUST be 5.8-6.2 and you should produce some nice sticky nugs
I'm sure some of our other members will have many other ideas for you so just suck and see your first grow
I also check my runoff every 3 Rd feed just to make sure the pH is above 7 lower than 8 simply because the Eco dolomite gives U a higher reading as it should however it's not gospel to do..
Good Luck

G’day Ossi,

Cheers first off mate, you are an absolute gun with the advice. I’ve read a heap of stuff you’ve written and all though it doesn’t always relate to me, always find it informative. The fact you’ve given that extensive response means a lot bother, and I apologise in advance for the follow up questions, but I’m at like 80% confidence, and I feel I get these answered I’ll be at 100.

So first which type of coco/coir should I be getting between the two I have screenshots of below? I’m trying to wrap my head around the two, and just can’t work it out.

Seconded, I notice you referred to “Tank water”, I’m assuming you mean a rain tank of some description. I don’t have access to anything like that where I am, so would PH balanced water around the 6-6.2 mark work just as good? And what amount of water should I be putting in for say a 30 litre brick of Coir to ensure it soaks?

The other question I had was around the Seasol and Eco Dolomite. I found a tonne of different Seasol varieties when searching the Bunnings website, now I’m assuming what you are referring to is at least in liquid form (hence the measurement in ML’s), but is the one I screenshot correct? And in regards to the Eco Dolomite, what I put below is the closest I could find that Bunnings sold, so is that correct or should I be looking elsewhere for it?

Again you are a true champ Ossi, be cool if you were at bit closer I’d shout you a beer (and a hopefully a puff in a few months). Cheers again.

p.s. don’t know if your located anywhere that will be hit by the storms today, but if you are all the best for that.

C31809C0-20B0-40C5-B2D9-10785ADC2F79.png

1E0D5917-78A5-4B5B-826B-158A179FBBEA.png

C9D4564A-4517-492D-9500-203BBF17A7E4.png

CC482829-3030-4555-AE84-22E506F2AEAF.png

7AFD6B42-B3A2-42C0-BDAA-793145E550BD.png

F56FD599-65FB-4DB2-A954-D31461835111.png

I understand.

When I first started several years ago I was a bit uncomfortable walking into a hydro store or grow shop. The thing is that after several weeks of reading web page after page I needed to follow up by looking at the products I was thinking about buying.

The best thing to do is make notes. Walk into your local hydro or grow shops and see what they have. Just tell them that you are trying to find the items on your list. My opinion is to not ask for prices, just ask if they have the item or something that will replace it. See how they react to you already having some idea of what you are doing. I have noticed that this will break the ice as the saying goes.

Based on an experience in a local shop is this little conversation I watched and listened to. A young guy walks in and looks around. The clerk asks if he can help. The guy says he wants "the LED light". Clerk takes him over to the LED light section and asks some questions to get a feeling for how much lighting the guy needs. The guy says he needs the LED light that is in the youtube video. Clerk asks what LED he is thinking about. The guy keeps saying the same light in the youtube video. Clerk says they carry approx 20 different LED light brands and configurations. Guy keeps saying it is the light in the video. Clerks says whose video. Guy does not know but the light was great and the video showed 5 foot tall plants. Clerk says that they can use the store computer to go to youtube and look for the video if the guy can remember the name. Guy says he only watched a couple of videos so it should not be that hard for the clerk to know which one had "the LED light". After a couple of minutes of this the young guy leaves because apparently the clerk did not know anything about LED lighting.

The moral of the story is to make some notes and take them in with you the first time or two until you get comfortable walking into these types of stores.

Many of our local hydro and grow shops have customers that mostly are growing Marijuana but they also cater to a growing number of customers who need supplies for their outdoor or indoor flower and vegetable gardens.
G’day Wings,

Man cheers for the morale boost there, that was a priceless response (actually HAD me laughing out loud. Lol) and has honestly been enough in of its self to give me the motivation and confidence to go in and check it out and what’s available (one around the corner so will head down on Monday).

I never try to put myself above anyone, but I feel I know and understand a little more than your friend in the story. I feel I could really have an in depth conversation with someone about the subject and learn massive amount more about what I need or what I need to learn. The issue for me is just simply the subject matter itself... If we were talking about growing, let’s say tomatoes, I wouldn’t have anywhere near the issues I’m having at the moment. As much as I appreciate forums like this to converse with others, nothing beats listening too and learning from other actual human beings face to face (hence my call out in the initial thread for anyone here in Melbourne). Man, how I long for the future days of inevitable legalisation.... Lmao.

Anyway thanks again Wings, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide that inspirational little antic-dote. It helped more than you’d think. ✌️

G’day Ossi,

Cheers first off mate, you are an absolute gun with the advice. I’ve read a heap of stuff you’ve written and all though it doesn’t always relate to me, always find it informative. The fact you’ve given that extensive response means a lot bother, and I apologise in advance for the follow up questions, but I’m at like 80% confidence, and I feel I get these answered I’ll be at 100.

So first which type of coco/coir should I be getting between the two I have screenshots of below? I’m trying to wrap my head around the two, and just can’t work it out.

Seconded, I notice you referred to “Tank water”, I’m assuming you mean a rain tank of some description. I don’t have access to anything like that where I am, so would PH balanced water around the 6-6.2 mark work just as good? And what amount of water should I be putting in for say a 30 litre brick of Coir to ensure it soaks?

The other question I had was around the Seasol and Eco Dolomite. I found a tonne of different Seasol varieties when searching the Bunnings website, now I’m assuming what you are referring to is at least in liquid form (hence the measurement in ML’s), but is the one I screenshot correct? And in regards to the Eco Dolomite, what I put below is the closest I could find that Bunnings sold, so is that correct or should I be looking elsewhere for it?

Again you are a true champ Ossi, be cool if you were at bit closer I’d shout you a beer (and a hopefully a puff in a few months). Cheers again.

p.s. don’t know if your located anywhere that will be hit by the storms today, but if you are all the best for that.

C31809C0-20B0-40C5-B2D9-10785ADC2F79.png

1E0D5917-78A5-4B5B-826B-158A179FBBEA.png

C9D4564A-4517-492D-9500-203BBF17A7E4.png

CC482829-3030-4555-AE84-22E506F2AEAF.png

7AFD6B42-B3A2-42C0-BDAA-793145E550BD.png

F56FD599-65FB-4DB2-A954-D31461835111.png

Hey bro , seasoll correct,coco-3 types fine,coarse and real course,U want the middle one not fine,Eco is not- look for Eco dolomite its in a double headed that measures as well funny looking bottle,no tank water I would boil water first and then add nutes etc,put Coco in a Wheelbarrow and fill with 20 litres let sit cupla hours then you will get the gist,don't forget to soak , seasoll say 1ml per litre but only Eco for a buffer so maybe 20 MLS and against most members thorts I definately use malassis in my feeds,they say it's only for soil but nah I reckon it helps with a nice bright green girl and keeps the pest away,so it's entirely up to you,won't take you long to get a hold of it.....so many thousands of ideas Uno so I just suck and see.....it's hard to kill a weed lol

Hey bro , seasoll correct,coco-3 types fine,coarse and real course,U want the middle one not fine,Eco is not- look for Eco dolomite its in a double headed that measures as well funny looking bottle,no tank water I would boil water first and then add nutes etc,put Coco in a Wheelbarrow and fill with 20 litres let sit cupla hours then you will get the gist,don't forget to soak , seasoll say 1ml per litre but only Eco for a buffer so maybe 20 MLS and against most members thorts I definately use malassis in my feeds,they say it's only for soil but nah I reckon it helps with a nice bright green girl and keeps the pest away,so it's entirely up to you,won't take you long to get a hold of it.....so many thousands of ideas Uno so I just suck and see.....it's hard to kill a weed lol
And when you pot up don't put downward pressure on the mix just fill the pots till they are full...watering let's the Coco find its own comfort,U want the roots to have plenty of freedom to go anywhere,hence do not I repeat do not use the course Coco the roots will have to work to hard to travel....Hey bro it's just my 2 bobs worth....send some pics when they at 14 days,I'm keen to see how u go.....if U can't find the Eco dolomite use calmag(everyone's favourite) not mine,only thing is that Eco dolomite is very very concentrated so for God sake be careful

And when you pot up don't put downward pressure on the mix just fill the pots till they are full...watering let's the Coco find its own comfort,U want the roots to have plenty of freedom to go anywhere,hence do not I repeat do not use the course Coco the roots will have to work to hard to travel....Hey bro it's just my 2 bobs worth....send some pics when they at 14 days,I'm keen to see how u go.....if U can't find the Eco dolomite use calmag(everyone's favourite) not mine,only thing is that Eco dolomite is very very concentrated so for God sake be careful
And keep some peroxide on the shelf just in case U have an issue that will require good for pests too , Morso soil.
I also believe in 3 stages of potting
Seedling,teenager,open licence haha...merry Xmas cobber

Seasoll is only for veg...then you want the red lidded Powerfeed and bro they love it , nice nugs and nice taste so far
I did see a new hydro nite called IONIC,it has a veg and flower range,looks and reads ok but up to you
Oops forgot soak Wheelbarrow with goodies for 48 hours and I from a guess reckon your safe for 14 no nutes then introduce gently and AWAY U GO

9 days from sprout

Hey Ossi,

Cheers for getting back to me mate. Plants look great man, if mine look half as good I’ll be happy as.

Unfortunately I had to make a move with the medium, as my seeds had germinated on Sunday and didn’t want to add something I wasn’t sure about. I will defiantly follow the instructions you’ve laid out for my next grow.

Just to fill you in on where I am at the moment, I followed your instructions with the medium (50% Coir, 25% Perlite, 25% Vermiculite). The Coir I used was the one I posted the pic of (wasn’t sure with your reply if that was the right one or not. Is it ok to use?). I didn’t add the Seasol, Molasses or Dolomite (again, didn’t want to use something in there I shouldn’t, so figured better to air on the side of caution and leave them out. Will the plants be ok considering it hasn’t been added?). Regarding the nutes I managed to get the Green Planet GP3 3 part nutrient system, and am about to start applying to my seedlings soon.

I also did a few seeds in just some regular potting mix (osmocote tomato, vegetable and herb). Obviously won’t be using the nutes on those ones but thought I would give it a go. Got some pics below, got the Auto pack from 420 so seedlings so the ones pictured are Northern Lights, Amnesia Haze and Blueberry (all Autos, obviously). Quick last question, given the photos how long till they should be upgraded to bigger pots?

Thanks again Ossi, really appreciate your valued help.

Hey Ossi,

Cheers for getting back to me mate. Plants look great man, if mine look half as good I’ll be happy as.

Unfortunately I had to make a move with the medium, as my seeds had germinated on Sunday and didn’t want to add something I wasn’t sure about. I will defiantly follow the instructions you’ve laid out for my next grow.

Just to fill you in on where I am at the moment, I followed your instructions with the medium (50% Coir, 25% Perlite, 25% Vermiculite). The Coir I used was the one I posted the pic of (wasn’t sure with your reply if that was the right one or not. Is it ok to use?). I didn’t add the Seasol, Molasses or Dolomite (again, didn’t want to use something in there I shouldn’t, so figured better to air on the side of caution and leave them out. Will the plants be ok considering it hasn’t been added?). Regarding the nutes I managed to get the Green Planet GP3 3 part nutrient system, and am about to start applying to my seedlings soon.

I also did a few seeds in just some regular potting mix (osmocote tomato, vegetable and herb). Obviously won’t be using the nutes on those ones but thought I would give it a go. Got some pics below, got the Auto pack from 420 so seedlings so the ones pictured are Northern Lights, Amnesia Haze and Blueberry (all Autos, obviously). Quick last question, given the photos how long till they should be upgraded to bigger pots?

Oops forgot to add the photo.

DADE025C-FB41-4095-8B58-58E8ECB17C3F.jpeg

Hey Ossi,

You need to be careful with autos I beleive they don't like to be transplanted to often,some other folks on here can help with autos,they can be tricky I beleive

Back
Top Bottom