Help - CO Rehab Ctr refuses service due to medical use of MJ

researchmj

Hi all - hope this is the correct place to post this challenge I've got and hoping for guidance on how best to resolve.

I have a CO Medical MJ registry card due to Trigeminal Neuralgia. It's been a god sent & has allowed me to postpone brain surgery, in hopes medical techniques will improve over time, reducing the high level of risk associated with surgery now.

My challenge, at the moment, is I'm an alcoholic in need of treatment, again. Unfortunately, the rehab/detox center, that in the past has helped me successfully stop drinking, now refuses to allow me to begin treatment due to my medical use of MJ.

I understand companies do not have to accommodate employees who use medical MJ but what about rehab/detox centers denying medical services & treatment to patients using same?

Any ideas how I might be allowed treatment for my alcoholism even though I use medical MJ for a different condition?

Thx. in advance

Hi all - hope this is the correct place to post this challenge I've got and hoping for guidance on how best to resolve.

I have a CO Medical MJ registry card due to Trigeminal Neuralgia. It's been a god sent & has allowed me to postpone brain surgery, in hopes medical techniques will improve over time, reducing the high level of risk associated with surgery now.

My challenge, at the moment, is I'm an alcoholic in need of treatment, again. Unfortunately, the rehab/detox center, that in the past has helped me successfully stop drinking, now refuses to allow me to begin treatment due to my medical use of MJ.

I understand companies do not have to accommodate employees who use medical MJ but what about rehab/detox centers denying medical services & treatment to patients using same?

Any ideas how I might be allowed treatment for my alcoholism even though I use medical MJ for a different condition?

Thx. in advance

Tough situation my friend. AA will designate all potential mind altering substances as bad and not to do them. Most treatment centers are based off of AA principles. Also, it would probably be difficult for many of these centers to get public funds if they allowed cannabis use. Change in this attitude will be very slow.

I would recommend you trying to contact Rational Recovery. They would be the most likely candidates for a program that helps you get over your addictive behaviors while allowing at least some form of cannabis use.

Rational Recovery | Welcome to Rational Recovery

I detoxed from alcohol in 2006, and went through a program. One thing they emphasize is not letting anything stand in the way of your recovery. My solution was to concentrate on the problem which was alcohol, and keep my cannabis use on the QT. I used Quick Fix substitution to get past the urine tests. The reliance on requiring absolute abstinence of all disapproved drugs (hey, they no problem giving me diazepam and adderol in rehab, lol) is simply extremism. They'll tell you it's proven to work. Well, if I needed a loaf of bread from the corner store I could rent a tractor trailer truck drive it to the corner, put the loaf of bread in the trailer, and drive it home. Proven to work doesn't mean needed.

People can feel free to comment on my actions, but you're not going to convince me that I didn't do the right thing, and I've got the benefit of hindsight and am approaching 4 years alcohol free. If I could go back in time and make the choices again they would be the same choices. I fucking needed to get off alcohol, and I wasn't going to let stupidity about pot get in the way of that.

I detoxed from alcohol in 2006, and went through a program. One thing they emphasize is not letting anything stand in the way of your recovery. My solution was to concentrate on the problem which was alcohol, and keep my cannabis use on the QT. I used Quick Fix substitution to get past the urine tests. The reliance on requiring absolute abstinence of all disapproved drugs (hey, they no problem giving me diazepam and adderol in rehab, lol) is simply extremism. They'll tell you it's proven to work. Well, if I needed a loaf of bread from the corner store I could rent a tractor trailer truck drive it to the corner, put the loaf of bread in the trailer, and drive it home. Proven to work doesn't mean needed.

People can feel free to comment on my actions, but you're not going to convince me that I didn't do the right thing, and I've got the benefit of hindsight and am approaching 4 years alcohol free. If I could go back in time and make the choices again they would be the same choices. I fucking needed to get off alcohol, and I wasn't going to let stupidity about pot get in the way of that.

Thank you for your first hand account, Pythaglio.

start using mmj in tincture form, it is healthier that way
maybe it will make it easier to quit drinking if you do not have to deal with the mental swings smoking mmj gives you since smoking intensifies it's effects
the tincture will still give you the medicinal effect of mmj for your neuralgia without having to deal with the psychoactive crash
i hope you find a sponsor or center that will accept your mmj use because it will never hurt you like alcohol abuse will
otherwise consider not talking about it because it is not that relevant to your alcohol recovery

maybe it will make it easier to quit drinking if you do not have to deal with the mental swings smoking mmj gives you since smoking intensifies it's effects
the tincture will still give you the medicinal effect of mmj for your neuralgia without having to deal with the psychoactive crash
i hope you find a sponsor or center that will accept your mmj use because it will never hurt you like alcohol abuse will
otherwise consider not talking about it because it is not that relevant to your alcohol recovery

Great advice punch1118, I see you should fit right in around here good people, great times :welcome:and :thanks:
Do you grow? I hope. I live in RI and am MMJ Patient if I can be of any help let me know

Is not a tincture made with high octane alcohol? Don't you think that an alcoholic might not benefit from an alcohol based cannabis concoction, but further the disease of alcoholism instead? And about that "psychoactive crash"....there is no "crash" with cannabis use. Maybe there is with the alcoholic tincture (if abused as I've seen it abused), but not with the herb.

When you're giving medical advice, it's best to understand and know what you're talking about before suggesting some treatment. I'm not trying to be hard on you here, I know you mean well, but advising someone to use alcohol for treating alcoholism is just not good council, IMHO. Sorry. :peace:

Is not a tincture made with high octane alcohol? Don't you think that an alcoholic might not benefit from an alcohol based cannabis concoction, but further the disease of alcoholism instead? And about that "psychoactive crash"....there is no "crash" with cannabis use. Maybe there is with the alcoholic tincture (if abused as I've seen it abused), but not with the herb.

When you're giving medical advice, it's best to understand and know what you're talking about before suggesting some treatment. I'm not trying to be hard on you here, I know you mean well, but advising someone to use alcohol for treating alcoholism is just not good council, IMHO. Sorry. :peace:

some tinctures can be glycerine based
if the tincture is strong and alcohol based you would only need a squirt or 2 from an eyedropper in a cup of tea once in awhile
it was my humble opinion that it wouldn't trigger an alcohol craving being so dilute
smoking potentates the effect and what goes higher up has to go further down
it was my also my opinion that a tincture would give you a better chance to be successful with your goals
this is a forum where we offer ideas and comments are not meant to be taken as medical advice

placing alcoholic based tincture drops under the tongue is the one of the easiest, most efficient, and healthiest ways to consume the drug

however, you need the alcohol in the tincture to carry the drug into the bloodstream through the mucosa so putting a squirt of tincture in a cup of tea would force most of the dose to be absorbed in the stomach or through the gut which is slower and less efficient

its nice to go through counseling and have someone to talk to but God and you working together is all it takes to handle this thing

He won't let a few drops of alcohol set you off

i presume you need the mmj for pain

absolutely no coffee or tobacco, substitute with exercise

if you don't want to use tinctures then use a vaporizer

of course your diet is important too

Recovering alcoholic chiming in here. Free from alcohol for 7yrs 6mo 4days, but who's counting? Agree that higher power (God for me) is the key. AA/NA wouldn't agree with me, but weed is a totally different deal IMHO. In the mid/late 1800's, cannabis was an accepted treatment for alcoholism. Don't remember where I read that, but probably somewhere on this site. I wouldn't want to ingest alcohol in any form but that is just me. I am stickler on looking at labels. You would be amazed at the products that have alcohol in them. I may be crazy but so far it has worked for me. Good luck to you brother and "keep the plug in the jug". One day at a time and the years start to add up.

Recovering alcoholic chiming in here. Free from alcohol for 7yrs 6mo 4days, but who's counting? Agree that higher power (God for me) is the key. AA/NA wouldn't agree with me, but weed is a totally different deal IMHO. In the mid/late 1800's, cannabis was an accepted treatment for alcoholism. Don't remember where I read that, but probably somewhere on this site. I wouldn't want to ingest alcohol in any form but that is just me. I am stickler on looking at labels. You would be amazed at the products that have alcohol in them. I may be crazy but so far it has worked for me. Good luck to you brother and "keep the plug in the jug". One day at a time and the years start to add up.

point well taken
i can see now how an alcoholic could be extremely sensitive so tinctures may be contraindicated in a lot of cases, hmmm
edibles can get expensive and there are carcinogenic compounds in mj smoke
anyone want to input their experience with vaporizers?
imho i think mmj can help treat alcoholism

i am sharing my present thoughts after further consideration about the form i would use to administer mmj based on my knowledge of nutrition and study of physiology and anatomy of the human body

mmj taken by mouth in alcohol based tincture is the preferred method of delivery to the system for treatment of chronic illness
the water and alcohol solvents will preserve the complete essence of the plant and carry it to the system in it's most complex form as God created it
the soluble nutraceuticals and phytochemicals when taken orally will be absorbed first through the oral mucosa, then lining of the stomach, and finally through the gut
cannabis is now being recommended by medical doctors for use as part of a treatment regimen to treat somatic pain and disorder of the central nervous system
thank God the voters realized it in 13 states now

medical tincture is the safest way to administer the botanical
if you have addictive behavior God will give you the strength to handle small doses of alcohol at a time
i think everyone using the cannabis orally will be surprised how potent and effective the medical tincture is

medical cannabis has miraculous potential but the problem is there have been no clinical trials so most doctors don't know a thing about it
if you are using mmj and are also being treated by a doctor i think they should know about it
this will force them to learn something
mmj should be administered only within a holistic program

there is nothing like cannabis to help you stretch and relax
it eases tension in the muscles and allows you to begin or improve your stretching and exercise program
the effect is increased metabolism and increased strength and improved elimination of toxins
it also stimulates the mind and helps it to imagine and create
use of nsaids and other pain meds can be decreased
smoking tobacco is contraindicated
tobacco can be added to the tincture when necessary
no use of coffee, green tea only
regular swigs of aloe juice soothes and promotes and maintains health of the gastrointestinal tract

LMFAO...! Just got out of rehab here in Alaska on 10-27-09 was there 1 year well a little over a year to tell the truth it was ok and it all so was for alcohol...
I was @ Nugens Ranch Wasilla. would they let me smoke Cannabis LMFAO NO give it up for the time you are in rehab and then go back to it if you want... It don't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...

MV... ;)

LMFAO...! Just got out of rehab here in Alaska on 10-27-09 was there 1 year well a little over a year to tell the truth it was ok and it all so was for alcohol...
I was @ Nugens Ranch Wasilla, AK (907) 376-4534. would they let me smoke Cannabis LMFAO NO give it up for the time you are in rehab and then go back to it if you want... It don't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...

MV... ;)
You can laugh all you want but here in colorado you can use mmj legally
research indicates the mmj use can be a legitimate part of a comprehensive treatment program
please respect the medical needs of others here
they are different and what works for you doesn't always work for others

Unfortunately I was not thinking about the tinctures made from alcohol that may be a problem for some. Thanks Irish +rep.

Researchmj, this is a great topic +rep. Some detox's and health centers are able to give a form of mmj that IMO is not quite right but is an rx called marinol, someday we will be able to use mmj everywhere like a regular RX without the crap we go through now.

Munki your posts are always very informative +rep Thanks.

Punch1118, trying to help another in personal disterss or pain is an admirable quality do not stop that trait +rep. In Alaska MMJ is also legal and a patient may posess up to 8 ounces of dried marijuana and six mature or 12 immature marijuana plants.

Matunuska Valley, how did detox work for you are you clean and sober? Congratulations for sticking it out!
Also the the member researchmj, has a bona fide serious medical condition Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that is debilitating and extremely painful. So "just quitting MMJ" is not an option unless that individual decides so and is amenable to a long narcotic treatment and very probable dependence on opiods. I am sure you did not read that or were unaware of the symptoms and excruciating pain associatted with Trigeminal neuralgia that can be triggered by the wind, sound a soft touch to the cheek, or by nothing at all. When this happens the patient is stopped in their tracks with pain. Picture a detox handing out oxycontin or morphine the other clients would be extremely jealous if they ever found out and they would causing further problems.
I would suggest going to family or close friends to help you out but first stock up on MMJ and pain meds, and always stay in close contact with your MD.

Back
Top Bottom