Help Diagnosing Some Poor Babies

elunex

This is my first grow in over a decade and it's been quite the challenge thus far. I'm at 3 weeks since seed and the plants aren't nearly where they should be at this point.

They first showed signs of problems about a week in when there was yellowing and eventual browning of the first leaves.

The stems have remained thin and weak and the plant seems stunted, as well as having leaf issues.

Originally I was growing in a local "organic potting mix"; but it was very barky and figured it may be causing issues. So I moved a couple plants into a coco perlite mix. But the two in the coco now, almost a week later aren't doing much better.

During the time of the leaf issues initially, I was only giving water, no nutes. PH from the tap at 7.5 or so.

Since then I've started providing nutrients, but haven't noticed much difference.

This is a stealth closet grow so no ability to bring in inflow or outflow. To compensate I have recently been leaving the cupboard open while I'm at work (past 3 days), as I feared it could be one of two things: co2 or heat.

We've had temps recently in the 105'F range and the grow room sat there too for a long time of their early life.

They are growing under 2x 85W (true pull) CFLs. About 15-20cm from the light.

My ph was hit and miss for a bit after the nutes; but these issues were under plain tap water.

Any ideas? Something that I'm missing? Or maybe you're able to tell which of the issues above could cause this?
f557601fc876c05cefc6e7a4a436534e.jpg
9f2935425f4eada846403efd7ac5d955.jpg
b4fb70fe9772d6bcaab6d3b0108e7dc1.jpg
02babc9dc9720f69cbe6d7dc9408db3c.jpg

Kind of sounds like some stressful conditions going on. A good soil mix can buffer ph somewhat. Basically everything starts with good soil. Those pics look pretty moist. For seedlings I use a rather light mix that drains well. Also, you don't need 170W of CFL for those little plants, especially if heat is an issue. Better might be to put them under some kind of a humidity dome in a well-drained soil and cut back on the light to get the temp down. A small fan for for air circulation will also help strengthen the stems.

Kind of sounds like some stressful conditions going on. A good soil mix can buffer ph somewhat. Basically everything starts with good soil. Those pics look pretty moist. For seedlings I use a rather light mix that drains well. Also, you don't need 170W of CFL for those little plants, especially if heat is an issue. Better might be to put them under some kind of a humidity dome in a well-drained soil and cut back on the light to get the temp down. A small fan for for air circulation will also help strengthen the stems.
Plants were just watered a few hours before images but I wait for the first 2 inches to be dry before watering.

Thanks for the tip regarding light vs heat :) May drop it down to 1 bulb for a while then.

I've got a fan running for the past few days now to strengthen stems but I suppose I'll have to choose humidity dome or fan air.

I've started a few more seeds in rockwool under the same conditions so I can try see how much of an issues the growing medium is and how much the other factors are.

Back
Top Bottom