Help requested to determine sex of plants

stickman

These are some white widow plants that have been growing for about 3 weeks. According to the person that I got the seeds from, they only grow to a height of 16" to 24". A couple of these are now about 10" tall, so I am thinking about starting to flower them in about 2 weeks. Is this okay?

I have no experience in determining the sex, and I find it very difficult from looking at pictures of other strains in books. Can anyone see if these are male or female?

Plant #1:

Plant_1a.jpg

Plant_1b.jpg

Plant_1c.jpg

Plant_1d.jpg

Plant #2:

Plant_2a.jpg

Plant_2b.jpg

Plant_2c.jpg

Plant_2d.jpg

Plant #3:

Plant_3a.jpg

Plant_3b.jpg

Plant_3c.jpg

Plant_3d.jpg

Any other comments / feedback are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

My opinion: bad pics/too early to tell.

EDIT: ya you have not started flowering yet. switch it to 12/12 then ask us in 2 weeks

At three weeks old they're probably too young to naturally preflower and show any sex. When the new leaf pairs aren't directly across from each other (that is, ,when the nodes start to alternate) then they are mature enough to show sex. When and if they show preflowers depends on the strain, and I can't tell you if WW will.

The way to force them to show sex is to change the light cycle to 12 hours light / 12 hours dark. It may take a couple of weeks to start showing sex after the light cycle changes.

Okay, thanks. Any idea how long I should stay in veg before switching to 12/12? I am limited to about a 4' max plant height, which shouldn't be a concern with this strain. My area for (hopefully) 3 fully grown plants is 3' x 3'.

the longer you wait the more you yield! if you can, hold out another month in VEG and try FIMMING your WW if you want to make it shorter (makes plants bushier)

You will, of course, need bigger pots if you keep it in VEG for much longer.

I hope to have them in larger pots and a larger cabinet within 10 days from now. They are currently in a 2' x 2' x 4' cabinet that is way too small with the carbon scrubber taking up almost 1' of height at the top. Not an ideal situation but it's the only possibility right now.

good luck stickman. anymore questions just ask.

Ok so the plants have stayed in veg mode for about another 4 weeks and I have switched them to 12/12 for the last 3 days. They are now almost 2' tall but they are in larger pots (5 gal) and a larger cabinet (3' x 3' x 7') so they have a fair bit of space.

I checked them today for signs of sex, and I think I have 1 male out of 3 plants. I think #2 is a male. I am going to continue to check the other 2 to make sure it is just still not too early to tell. What do you guys think?

Here is plant #1:

IMG_009210.JPG

IMG_00969.JPG

IMG_009910.JPG

This is plant #2 (suspected male):

IMG_01017.JPG

IMG_01029.JPG

And finally plant #3:

IMG_01078.JPG

IMG_01089.JPG

Thanks for any advice.

Here is a highlighted / zoomed area of what I am seeing on #2 that makes me worry

balls_12.jpg

And an even closer zoom

balls_21.jpg

I am thinking those look like a pair of balls to me.

it looks like a ball! give it some more days, and if more balls appear then give it a nice funeral.

Male is now gone. Left with 2 females currently at 6 days flowering. Not much happening so far.

I am thinking about adding a 90 W UFO to supplement my current Prosource 180 W Jumbo UFO. Is it worth the extra power?

worth the power for this grow? no not really. you could get some CFLs to add in more spectrums of light but you dont need 270w of LED to grow 2 plants

Nice plants you there. i olso have one plant and about the same stage as yours. get my posts.
They looks good but i think i saw some small bolls, so my opinion is give them some time to grow and atatloab too much because it might be a mail or even an harmi

keep upload pic soon

UPDATED PICS BELOW

Ok, so I am now about 3-4 weeks away from cutting these I think. They are starting to look good, although I think the yield may be slightly smaller than I am hoping for. My target is 4 dried oz.

The plant heights right now are 27" and 33" inches.

Plants have always been nice and green, but over the past week they have started having lots of yellow leaves and dried leaves. I am watering once a week with 1 tbsp molasses in a gallon of water, and otherwise just watering as per usual when required with distilled water. I also put on some 12-12-12 bone meal (about 1 tbsp) on the surface of the soil gently mixed in. I realize now this was probably high in N and K, so could this be the problem?

Overall the two plant shapes are very different - the shorter one is much bushier and the taller one has much thinner branches both in diameter and the number of leaves. I suspect the shorter one could end up yielding more than the taller plant.

When should I switch to water only? Any other advice/comments appreciated. Thanks for the help so far.

Notice some yellowing of the leaves
IMG_02208.jpg

Close-up of top cola
IMG_022112.jpg

Top cola from further back
IMG_022212.jpg

For size reference
IMG_02237.jpg

A very nice nug growing on the end of a lower branch - it is really drooping down from the weight
IMG_02249.jpg

Same nug
IMG_022510.jpg

Another shot
IMG_02269.jpg

This is the taller plant, again the yellow leaves
IMG_022711.jpg

Top cola of the taller plant
IMG_022813.jpg

Size comparo
IMG_022912.jpg

Close up of random small/medium bud
IMG_023013.jpg

Same one, just playing with the camera
IMG_023111.jpg

u might pull 2.5oz but i am gonna bet closer to 2oz

If I get 2 oz from this I would be happy. That's still enough to last me for 3 months or so for my own personal medical use.

I have a 3' x 3' grow cabinet, how many plants do you think I could fit in there? Would the total yeild increase with less per plant? Even with 2 plants they are touching each other. If I had 4 plants crammed in there do you think it would work ok with kind of a half assed SOG? The light wattage is 180W.

BTW if any mods read this could you change the thread title to something more suitable like "White Widow Flowering - 180W LED Cabinet" or something like that.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom