Help with my grow room - QUESTION

2bwhimsical

Hi All, thatnks for readiing my post.
First of all size -

My flowering room is in a closet.
The closet itself is 4' x 16' with 9' ceilings.
I am using 1/2 of this with panda plastic and zipper to divide.
I have a Magnum XXXL light and a 1k HPS bulb (high intensity).
I have a 6" vortex fan and the hard ducting (not flex).
I also have a small podunk fan blowing cool air from under the house into the room through a 4" hole.

PROBLEM:
Heat of course - It won't get below 80 degrees in the room.

Any help???

Most of my grows are run at 79-80 degrees.

But I think that's the maximum temp you want to have in your room.

Just think, the plants in Hawaii do fantastic with a constant temp of 78-82 degrees every day of the year.

--Are you bringing any "fresh" air into the room? As opposed to just venting out of the room? Might need to increase that "podunk" fan to something a little beefier.

SF

PS. Welcome to 420mag man!

Most of my grows are run at 79-80 degrees.

But I think that's the maximum temp you want to have in your room.

Just think, the plants in Hawaii do fantastic with a constant temp of 78-82 degrees every day of the year.

--Are you bringing any "fresh" air into the room? As opposed to just venting out of the room? Might need to increase that "podunk" fan to something a little beefier.

SF

PS. Welcome to 420mag man!

I am thinking that I should go with a second 6" vortex instead of the podunk fan. That is pulling fresh air into the room.

I worry that when the plants get in there, it will get hotter than the 80 degrees now, and then it would be a lot harder to "fix/change" things when plants are in there flowering.

But, yes, you are right about the Hawaii conditions too, never thought of that so much, just saw where people said 72-75 degrees is optimum.

I am very new at this and it is my first grow, although I have sank a lot of dough into this setup. My clone/veg area is a 7'9"x7'9"x6'7' GrowLab, with 2 8 bulb T5 fixtures, a 6: vortex inline fan and a carbonite filter. That is in the room, then the closet.......

I am truly thinking to reduce down, using 1/2 the closet for flowering (that is what is going on now), then set up the other 1/2 for the clone & veg area with 1 T5 light. I tend to get carried away - LOL

So what do you think??

Thanks by the way :)

I am very new at this and it is my first grow, although I have sank a lot of dough into this setup.

I totally understand. Did the same thing. Still learning a ton here. I'm about to re-work and move rooms in my "crib" for the third time.

From an experience stand-point, I would say for your first grow, take it slow and easy. You don't want to have to worry about so many variables, flowering/vegging, moving plants, re-arranging. You'll have enough to "worry" about getting all the other pieces in place.

If it were me, I would do it all in one room, don't separate veg and flowering at this point, and grow the shit outta my first run! You're equipment isn't going anywhere, so add it to your setup down the line. After your first run, I promise you'll have many ideas what to do, what to modify and what you'll need to tweak.

All your gear sounds first rate, so you shouldn't have too many issues from that perspective. Most everyone is pretty friendly on this site, so if you feel comfortable, you should setup a grow journal where you'll get much more input and help for your 1st grow.

Again, congrats on taking the plunge man! You'll be totally satisfied.

:peace:
SF

I would think that the above ground part of the plant can handle temps above 100 degrees very easy. It is the roots that need to be cooler so a larger pot would help in keeping the temps down on the roots. If you could insulate the roots (the container) from the heat of the lights then that may solve some of the heat problems. Where I live it is hot and humid and the man looks down on growing weed. So I practice with growing legal plants until the weed becomes legal, hopefully tomorrow. I use a shelving unit that I bought from Sams Club, it is the heaviest one they carry in store and costs about $150. I have set the bottom shelf to be just above the pot with styrofoam on top. This shealds the pot, dirt and roots from getting the full heat of the light. So all I have is the trunk of the plant coming up through the foam. The pots chamber stays at 80 degrees and is sitting on a concrete floor so I guess that the dirt is even cooler. I have the shelving unit covered in something that looks like bubble wrap made from something like mylar. The stuff is very reflective, and I bought it from Lowes for about 30 bucks for a 4 ft X 25 ft roll. I generally leave one of the long sides open because if I close all four sides the temps go to 100 degrees where the plant is growing but stays at 80 where the pot is.

I'm not sure how you have your fan set up? Some growers claim that they get temp drops by having their inline fan suck the heat from the reflrctor opposed to blowing through the reflector. I have the Great White Shark reflector which is esse3ntially the same as yours. I know that it vents really well but you still might consider buying one of the insulating blankets that go over the reflector?

Back
Top Bottom