Help with my Inkbird

Makeminefullgrown

Hello all, I’m starting my second auto grow and am trying to maintain a more consistent environment. I purchased the Inkbird ITC-608T, which has the Temp and Humidity controller.
I had no problems dialing in my lights on parameters of 80-83F and 62-65% rh.
Right now my seeds just germinated and are in the soil. I figured I would run my LED at a very low setting and on for 24hrs until they sprout, then cut the light back to 20/4 or 18/6.
This dark period is where I have a disconnect….I’m an old fart who didn’t pay enough attention to technology as it passed me by.
Anyway, in order to get my temps up to 80-83F I have a small portable heater, which is linked to the Inkbird. So far it’s worked perfectly…..runs fine and is keeping the temp in that range.
The RH is requiring more of a challenge. I have 3 humidifiers in my 2.5’x6.5’ grow space. I have one linked to the Inkbird and the other 2 running at medium levels. This mix is keeping the rh at my desired 62-65% levels.
The problem will occur when the light cuts for the 4-6hr darkness period.
I’m sure the temp will drop a touch but the Inkbird will keep the heater running and compensate to keep the temps at that 80-83F level.
Furthermore, I think the bigger issue will be the RH. I have a good outlet fan and along with the Inkbird I’m not worried about the RH going above 65%.
But ideally I’d like my temp to drop down to 72F range and the RH to drop a little as well. I’m having a brain block on how to accomplish this…..
I thought I could put the Inkbird on the same timer as the lights and I would be without any heat, plus I would lose the ability to regulate the RH. Although the biggest humidifier does have a rh level control and I may be able to find a happy level where it would turn off should the rh get too high…..
I guess the big question is will the Inkbird perform properly if it’s on a timer?? I can’t find the answer to that anywhere. I believe it turns on when plugged in and reverts the prior programmed settings….but I’m not 100%.
Does anyone see a simple solution here? Is there a big drawback to having the same temps and RH during the 4/6 hrs of darkness??
If anyone can chime in I would be one grateful grower.

Yes, inkbirds do revert to last setting when switched off and on.
I've run with inkbirds for the past nine years or so and find them reliable at keeping a stable environment, sounds like that's exactly what they're doing for you. You would like one more variable in the equation, these old style inkbirds don't really do that, you need the new version with Wi-Fi to do that.

The Inkbird with Wi-Fi links up with an app to program multiple senarios allowing different RH/temps at lights on, lights out. Like you I'm not good with tech but this is the way it's done now. Some people have smart plugs that you can program now days also, this does a similar job at adjusting everything but also requires an app.

The other way of complimenting the inkbirds is a adjustable extractor fan with sensors for temp and humidity, this will help raise and lower both.
Look at the site sponsor @Mars Hydro they do a automatic fan extractor with sensors. Also AC infinity is a popular brand.

I have an old tech fan controller that controls my extractor fan. ( sms hybrid pro controller)
It has a temp sensor but also a light sensor that raises the extraction slightly for a small priod when the light switches off to combat raise in humidity.

I could always put a small dehumidifier in the space and have it on a timer to run during lights out…,
I tested the Inkbird and it will work just fine on a timer…..I just need to see how far the temp drops with no heater running…..
Although the least complicated option is to run the dehumidifier and allow it to lower the rh slightly. I have a small unit that would work well.
I have more crap than you’d believe packed in that small space…..3 humidifiers, two oscillating fans, an air purifier unit(which isn’t really needed but what the hell), a heater, exhaust fan, and of course the light and the plants.
And it figures that the temps and humidity levels will be changing drastically by the day as Spring turns into Summer.

I would suggest a more cannabis plant specific equipment with settings to regulate such as the Titan Controls Temperature and Humidity or Hydrofarm Autopilot Environmental Controllers.
Hey thanks for the info….I wish I had looked into the Hydrofarm products before I bought the Inkbird.
I guess I could always run my autos on a 24/0 light cycle….it’s dialed in perfectly and has almost no fluctuation. Although I’m of the belief that plants need a rest, but I could be wrong. Thank u again.

Depending on the size of your light, for Autos 18/6 or 20/4 works best for lighting schedules ive found. .

Just make sure your temps are where they're supposed to be for lights on. A small drop in night temps can help bring out colors, but aside from that there is no real benefit.

While an Auto can run 24/0, once in flowering I've found a small rest helps them. I do 24/0, then after three weeks or so, switch to an 18/6 or 20/4.

You might want to move to a programmable power strip to control when the devices are powered. The over night setting for RH is not that important, as best I can tell. Sure, don't leave it at 80° RH but the info from the people who make the PulseOne is that RH and temp (AKA VPD) are not that important when lights are out.

I use the wireless Inkbird controllers (I call them "Hotbird" and "Wetbird") and they're plugged into a Kasa power strip. The Kasa turns my lights and Wetbird on 0400 and off at 2200. I use the Inkbird app to control RH, in concert with the temperature, RH, and VPD data I get from a PulseOne. The trick to keeping the RH in line in the AM is to set it just before lights out. Using the Inkbird app, I can change the setting using my iPhone.

The Kasa will fire up Wetbird at 0400 but the trick is to get a humidifier that retains its settings when it's cycled. I tried a Levoit but no luck and I switched to a "PETSPIONEER Reptile Humidifier Digital Timing Fog Machine with Double Hose & 4 Liter Reservoir, Automatic Terrarium Fogger for Reptiles/Amphibians/Herps/Vivarium" and it works like a charm in my 2' x 4' tent.

I've attached a screenshot from the Pulse One. The drops in RH* are when I was working in the tent. As you can see, Wetbird kept RH very well over the course of the day. All I had to do was check the Pulse every now and again and, if needed, change the RH setting on my phone.

*The temperature spike at 3 PM? I was taking pictures of the plants so I shut off the Mars with one of the switches on the dimmer box, took the pictures, and flipped the switch back on. I didn't realize that I had hit the wrong switch. Instead of just powering on the Mars, I hit the "relay" switch which turned it on to full power. That's 300 watts worth of light blazing down from 14" and, yes, the driver is in the tent because I want the extra heat.

Fortunately, the Pulse sent out a temperature alert so I got my face back into the tent got things set right.

New motto - "Don't pull a Kennedy - trust your instruments."

Capto_ 2022-04-08_06-48-26_PM.png

Hey thanks for the info….I wish I had looked into the Hydrofarm products before I bought the Inkbird.
I guess I could always run my autos on a 24/0 light cycle….it’s dialed in perfectly and has almost no fluctuation. Although I’m of the belief that plants need a rest, but I could be wrong. Thank u again.
The grow equipment controls finally value both temperature and humidity sensors to regulate the grow environment. Many other controllers are switched by temperature alone. If possible attempt to use the same circuit breaker for fan, lights and any water pumps so if the circuit breaker should trip both the heat source and cooling system are switched off to avoid grow damage. Since beginning the use of the environmental controller and locating the heat probe sensor adjacent to the highest heat source point I have not had an issue with grow room overheating with fan not being turned on as a cause of heat stress damage.

Auto flower cannabis plants require a dark period for growth hormones to build up for daily use. Please allow 6 - 8 hours of darkness per day for autoflower cannabis plants.

Back
Top Bottom