Ideal Conditions For Drying Buds!

Seniorweeder

I am elated to announce that I trimmed my girl this weekend and finally made it to the drying stage. I have them tightly trimmed up and hanging in the grow box I made. I read that ideal RH and Temps are 50% and 70 degrees. I also thought I read somewhere that they should be in dark. My temp is on point but my average RH is about 30% to 45%, I can get it up if I use a light I have under a water pan to raise the RH but then the room is not be dark. What is more important for a perfect dry, dark or ideal RH? Thanks as always guys!

On my last drying session the RH was in the high 20s, buds dried in 6 days, I then took and put them in a mason jar with 62% humidity pack. That was 3 weeks ago and the weed is curing fine, defiantly better and smoother. Low RH means that they will dry faster. I use a 2x2 tent for drying so darkness is not an issue. I would suggest get them in the dark, if you are worried about RH try a damp rag in your drying place, remember too much RH is not good either.

Both RH and darkness are important, temp should be around 68 degrees and i would think 45% humidity would be fine 50 would be better but 45% will work. I usually remove the fan leaves but leave the sugar leaves on to give it a little more dry time, i also hang the plant whole. Good luck and hope you get some fine smoke.

just finished a hang at 25%. it was short but it worked.
everything is jarred up and curing in to a stable state for use or long term storage.

there's no such thing as perfect conditions. it's possible to create them, but it is expensive.
it's best to not stress and learn to deal with you are given. that's always how it was done old school.

if you have only a couple plants, you can do the slow fridge dry and cure for much more control in a cheap format.

I am elated to announce that I trimmed my girl this weekend and finally made it to the drying stage. I have them tightly trimmed up and hanging in the grow box I made. I read that ideal RH and Temps are 50% and 70 degrees. I also thought I read somewhere that they should be in dark. My temp is on point but my average RH is about 30% to 45%, I can get it up if I use a light I have under a water pan to raise the RH but then the room is not be dark. What is more important for a perfect dry, dark or ideal RH? Thanks as always guys!
Hey senior congrats on your harvest, its the news we all like to hear.
Did you get sorted out with your drying process or are you still having issues?

Thanks "Bill284", I really appreciate your concern for my grow friend. I "NOW" feel pretty confident that our great grow friends on here have given me what I need to get the most of my tiny little girl! Its been a glorious ride and a memory my old ass will never forget. The folks on here warm my heart with their dedication to helping others. May God bless U all!

Thanks "Bill284", I really appreciate your concern for my grow friend. I "NOW" feel pretty confident that our great grow friends on here have given me what I need to get the most of my tiny little girl! Its been a glorious ride and a memory my old ass will never forget. The folks on here warm my heart with their dedication to helping others. May God bless U all!
:thumb:

On my last drying session the RH was in the high 20s, buds dried in 6 days, I then took and put them in a mason jar with 62% humidity pack. That was 3 weeks ago and the weed is curing fine, defiantly better and smoother. Low RH means that they will dry faster. I use a 2x2 tent for drying so darkness is not an issue. I would suggest get them in the dark, if you are worried about RH try a damp rag in your drying place, remember too much RH is not good either.
Thanks a lot, that encourages me. Btw I was studying the use of those Boveda" RH packs, and was close to buying some until I read a couple testimonies on Amazon that claimed they weren't for use on Weed, One guy claimed he got ill using them and another claimed it removed all the good smell and taste from him stuff. What are yours/anybodys thoughts on this? I did order some Rh/Temp meters to put in my jars!

just finished a hang at 25%. it was short but it worked.
everything is jarred up and curing in to a stable state for use or long term storage.

there's no such thing as perfect conditions. it's possible to create them, but it is expensive.
it's best to not stress and learn to deal with you are given. that's always how it was done old school.

if you have only a couple plants, you can do the slow fridge dry and cure for much more control in a cheap format.
I agree, they can be dried under multiple kinds of conditions, it’s about catching and jarring them before they get too low.

I nearly made a mistake (green crack) drying in the fridge, when the fridge dropped to 30ish% RH and I nearly let it go a day too long.

When I fridge dry I write the weight of each bag on the outside each time I check/shake the bag.
Once each bag (containing roughly 2 oz dry weed) starts only losing 2-3 grams per day, I start checking it physically to see if it’s ready for jars.
Usually takes 7-10 days in there but it was almost crispy at day 6 this time. My hang dry was done in 5, at at this point it’s already evening out around 61-62 in jars.
I’ll still take over drying to under drying any day, but it’s great to be able to nail the timing.

Thanks a lot, that encourages me. Btw I was studying the use of those Boveda" RH packs, and was close to buying some until I read a couple testimonies on Amazon that claimed they weren't for use on Weed, One guy claimed he got ill using them and another claimed it removed all the good smell and taste from him stuff. What are yours/anybodys thoughts on this? I did order some Rh/Temp meters to put in my jars!
Boveda or Boost or any other humidity packs are tools. We still need to pay attention to what is happening in the jar and adjust as needed.

I have packs with humidity ratings from the low 50s to the upper 70s. If the buds in a jar seem to be getting dry I will put in one or two or three packs of a higher humidity. It will help. At times I have felt that the buds are still a tiny, tiny bit moist and have used the lower number packs to help adjust.

Most of the time, once the cure has been reached there is no need for the packs. But I keep them handy just for those special occasions.

Sometimes I think that they do remove some smell and taste but I have noticed that if they pack is taken out of the jar the taste/smell return within several days to a week.

No clue on how someone would get sick from using one unless they ate it or let it get real moist and let it pick up some mold or mildew which transferred to his harvest.

Boveda or Boost or any other humidity packs are tools. We still need to pay attention to what is happening in the jar and adjust as needed.

I have packs with humidity ratings from the low 50s to the upper 70s. If the buds in a jar seem to be getting dry I will put in one or two or three packs of a higher humidity. It will help. At times I have felt that the buds are still a tiny, tiny bit moist and have used the lower number packs to help adjust.

Most of the time, once the cure has been reached there is no need for the packs. But I keep them handy just for those special occasions.

Sometimes I think that they do remove some smell and taste but I have noticed that if they pack is taken out of the jar the taste/smell return within several days to a week.

No clue on how someone would get sick from using one unless they ate it or let it get real moist and let it pick up some mold or mildew which transferred to his harvest.
They do seem to steal a little taste, especially if used to really move the humidity beyond a minor adjustment.

I agree with you though that the taste returns once the boveda is absent. Many times I’ll just pull some bud out of a jar that has a boveda, and I’ll just let it breath for a bit at the RH of the room. Like fine wine ;) and it will get sticky and smelly and beg you to smoke it.

I use boveda and boost, depends what is the cheapest, lol. The humidity packs last way longer than the weed does, lmao

Leaving your plants either whole, or with pretty long stems still attached will help slow the drying process. If you're processing into hash, another concentrate or making oil/butter extended drying and curing won't improve things. Sometimes people find bud that's dried too fast is harsh for smoking.

Last season I dried at 19-20c and 55% rh with long stems. It took 2 weeks. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom