Higher seed prices

saltybluegrass

equals higher genetics? does a $23 seed beat a $7 seed and how?
i spent 3 hours from Vault to Royal to Seedsman and see they carry each other’s seeds. Are they similar? should you buy from the source instead of distributor?
What is the best $23 seed you’ve grown - why was it worth it?

Short answer: Any cannabis seed that makes it to harvest is worth that much to me. If not personally... I've never set out to give away unwanted bud and had to throw any away yet, lol.

Rambling: It sure beats paying $6.95/ea. for a slightly-larger-than-seedling tomato plant :rolleyes: . But it's sort of like a restaurant meal, in a way, isn't it? There is sometimes - but not always!!! - a correlation between price and enjoyment. Some of my most enjoyable meals have been ones that I was wise to save up for - but I've been pleasantly surprised at some "lesser" establishments, too. People have different tastes; if we lived in the same region and compared favorite restaurants without considering prices, we'd probably have some of the same ones on both lists - but you'd have some favorites I didn't, some "never in a million years" that I didn't, and I'd have some of both that didn't appear on your list.

The most expensive strains I've added in the past five years or so are probably Sensi Seeds' Jack Herer ($166.40 for ten non-feminized) and Serious Seeds' Kali Mist ($102.43 for six feminized). Those are current prices at a random seedbank; apparently, the prices have gone down. Decent strains that have a following. Sue and I both got some freebies from The Vault, and one of them was Jack el Frutero (aka "Fruity Jack"). It came up as a suggestion as I was typing "Jack" to search for the JH price, so I checked on it out of curiosity: Three for $25.59 / five for #39.71. Who knows? It is within the realm of possibility that I could end up liking that one better. Or not. Either way, it would just be MY impression and wouldn't say a thing about which of the two is "better" (if that's even a thing, lol).

Unless someone is just making extracts from the plant - and probably even then, if they're preserving any of the terpine profile - then a great deal is subjective. Is it potent, yes, but Does it provide the type of effect I'm looking for at the time of consumption, does the "lesser" cannabinoid profile fit with my needs (or at least not work against them), does the terpine content and ratio appeal to me at the time of consumption? Does it produce well when grown how I want to grow it? Are the neighbors likely to smell it growing; and, if so, are they going to think I use a lot of incense - or am lazy about changing/cleaning the cat's litter box :rolleyes: - or, instead, that I am growing cannabis? Being a fan of sativas, I don't place a great deal of emphasis on flowering times. On the other hand, if something flowers for 16+ weeks AND is a low-yield strain, lol, then it had better be pushing most all of my buttons or I probably won't grow it again unless as a genetic donor. Some folks even consider color to be important instead of just a thing. Et cetera.

My advice is to ignore prices until you have your virtual shopping cart full, and then just use price to figure out either how much of your order you can buy right now or how long you'll have to save up in order to purchase all of it. Unless you are the type of person who cannot stick "extra" money in his/her sock drawer this week, and then add next week's "extra" money to it (repeating as necessary ;) ), of course. If you've got that mental illness (seems to be a popular one, LMFAO) that causes people to spend every cent they earn as fast as they can... I suppose, if that's the case and you don't have enough to get the strain(s) you chose without paying attention to price(s), then go ahead and grab whatever is cheap enough to fit the "the money that I have in my pocket RIGHT NOW" budget.

Sensi Seeds has been around for a long time, and has some strains that are towards the upper end of the price range. But they have a bunch of less expensive selections, too, starting at $16.98/pk. One of which, Shiva Shanti II, the owner named after his two daughters, Shiva and Shanti. I'm guessing that means he thought well of the strain when he chose its name, lol. Current price at the source? $24.91 for ten seeds. It is said to be less powerful than "its bigger sister," but still pleasantly potent. And also:
Shiva Shanti II and her more powerful Indica sister Shiva Shanti were two varieties released at the start of the Nineties to celebrate the expansion of breeding stock that brought Sensi Seed Bank’s gene-library to its current level. The aim of Shiva Shanti II was to make a strain that absolutely anyone could afford, while being versatile enough to grow indoors with lights, in the greenhouse, or outside in the sun at most locations below 45°N. The new strain also needed to be fast, tough and forgiving - able to reward the most inexperienced grower.

Not really my cup of tea - but there are undoubtedly people in the world who'd really like to grow and consume it. For less than three bucks (US) per seed. That doesn't take away from the higher priced strains, merely... Err... Don't shop by price ;) .

Back
Top Bottom