High end seeds, worth it?

Got 5 Feminized Purple Kush from CropKingseeds.com and they threw in a freebe for a total of 6. Basically, $10 per seed, which I understand, to almost insure no males and in a small grow you need to increase your chances to get a female from the start. 2 of them look identical but the 3rd one germinated at the same time but has turned out to be a strain I don't know and could be the freebe they added to the order, but I assumed the freebe should be the same strain?This is the 2 in one pot, the one to the left is the same as the plant in the pot by itself
2014-04-05_13_30_20.jpg
2014-04-05_13_30_53.jpg

I'm with you Billyjack. About 6 months ago GreatLife4All posted the following in my first grow journal. It seems to pan out for the most part as out of the 7 plants I've grown over the last 2 grows, only one was a male and it was the runt of all of them. Yet another reason to use GLR, IMHO.

"Genetically - MJ is pre-programmed to come out 60% female.

The actual sex is not determined until the fourth or fifth week of veg. Depending on environment - I believe you can go as high as 90% males. There was a study done by Dutch Seeds - it is still available on the web - which included this result:

Of the 5 above-mentioned environmental factors the first three are the most practical:

Level of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed: A heightening of the standard level of nitrogen makes for more female cannabis plants originating from the weed seeds. A lowering of the nitrogen level shows more male cannabis plants. A heightening of the level of potassium tends to show more male marijuana plants, while a lowering of the potassium level shows more female marijuana plants. A combination of a higher nitrogen level for the period of a week or two and a lowering of the potassium level is recommended.

Humidity and moistness of the seedbed: a higher humidity makes for an increase in the number of female cannabis plants from weed seed, a lowering for an increase in male cannabis plants. The same is valid for the moistness of the seedbed.

Level of temperatures: lower temperatures make for a larger number of female marijuana plants, higher temperatures for more male marijuana plants.

Colour of light: more blue light makes for female cannabis plants from seed, more red light makes for more male cannabis plants.

Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male cannabis plants."

It's interesting to hear peoples opinions on this. Great thread Billyjack

I purchased "cheap" seeds from Bonzaseeds.com. I can't justify paying more than $10 a bean. Check out my multi-strain grow going on right now where I have 4 seeds from Bonza going and some OG Kush clones hooked up by Teldren. I'm super stoked on my Hindu Kush which I got for about $7 on Bonza.

That question can only be answered by you or whoever is spending the cash. I say yes go for it you wont regret it but then again I dont know you or your tastes and preferences so I could be wrong. In my opinion Purple Kush is one of the best strains there is. The taste and smell are unmistakable and everyone I shared mine with fell in love with it too.

I grew a diesel strain before and didnt like it at all cuz it kicked my ass. Not sure which it was but it wasnt Sour Diesel cuz I had that later on and love it also.

Its not so much as the difference between a $5 seed and a $10 but more of a question of, is a $25+ seed really worth the price.

Based on previous answers and logic, the best answer one can give is: It completely depends on where you get them for that price. If you buy them from a reputable seedbank, you have a few guarantees about the lineage. If you buy them from a random guy or not so reputable seedbank, you have no idea where they came from. They could have come from hermies for all you know.

Everybody wants the first seeds tho ... and thus their price goes up .. cuz there is more money to be made, and the more guarantees you can give about your seeds, or the more rare they are, the more you can ask for them.

So yeah, they are worth it, if you buy them from the right place, cuz ofcourse everybody can buy the cheap and try to sell it as the real deal ;) And sometimes you just pay for the hype.

TL;DR: Only once you have experience and buy from a reputable seedbank.

Based on previous answers and logic, the best answer one can give is: It completely depends on where you get them for that price. If you buy them from a reputable seedbank, you have a few guarantees about the lineage. If you buy them from a random guy or not so reputable seedbank, you have no idea where they came from. They could have come from hermies for all you know.

Everybody wants the first seeds tho ... and thus their price goes up .. cuz there is more money to be made, and the more guarantees you can give about your seeds, or the more rare they are, the more you can ask for them.

So yeah, they are worth it, if you buy them from the right place, cuz ofcourse everybody can buy the cheap and try to sell it as the real deal ;) And sometimes you just pay for the hype.

TL;DR: Only once you have experience and buy from a reputable seedbank.

Still going to order that Purple Kush tonight. Can't start growing it until end of July but I will have it on hand

Still going to order that Purple Kush tonight. Can't start growing it until end of July but I will have it on hand

It's all good m8 .. it's just a risk of wasting an expensive seed if you are inexperienced with seeds in general. If that's okay, then by all means :) You could order a bag of hemp seed, and germinate it and get experience with that .. so once you get to the $25,- seeds, you wont be fumbling in the dark ;)

just use the free seeds for practice first
most seed companies give free seeds with every order over a certain amount
that would be what you use before you use your premium seeds

If I get 2 plus oz from a plant, then whether I pay $5 or $20 for the seed doesn't make that much difference to me. Plus when I do produce my own seed/crosses I know I am starting from good and probably stable genetics that I could recreate.

I can't wait to try the Kali Mist from my current grow. $26 per seed! :)

my bag seed from some shite street weed have out performed everything so far, including £10 sativas - I think it might be a cheese crop that hermie'd, that they then sold on cheap, but the beans are producing some awesome bud

I chimed in here a while ago. Here is the result of the most expensive seed I've personally purchased. It was through our sponsor Herbies, think it was $17 U.S.D. I used her as a mother plant, flowered out at least 100 clones from her. But this is the first one. She got too big and I had to flower her out. I'd estimate 10 lb/dried has resulted from this one seed. That's not counting the upcoming harvest. Just saying...I think I got my money's worth.

today_068.jpg
today_064.jpg
today_063.jpg
today_062.jpg
today_083.jpg
today_081.jpg
today_082.jpg
today_079.jpg

Back
Top Bottom