How can I minimize weakening a plants structure when topping?

Phillybonker

Grow type: Outdoor grow in ground soil.

Last season I topped my plants at 3 weeks old and they grew up good but when they got big the plants broke at the topped nodes in heavy winds and heavy rain. Topping weakens a plants structure as I learned the hard way.

The reason I want to top my plants is to break apical dominance.

Can I top my plants later on in veg, say mid veg so the topped node will be higher up the plant and will thereby presumably have a less weaker structure?, or is there another way to minimize weakening a plants structure when topping?

Supporting the branches with some poles would help.
Branches break and droop occasionally even without being topped though.
Silica should strengthen the branches and leaving a bit of the node that you top can help too.

Supporting the branches with some poles would help.
Branches break and droop occasionally even without being topped though.
Silica should strengthen the branches and leaving a bit of the node that you top can help too.
That's one thing I didn't do last season, leaving a bit of the node.

Grow type: Outdoor grow in ground soil.

Last season I topped my plants at 3 weeks old and they grew up good but when they got big the plants broke at the topped nodes in heavy winds and heavy rain. Topping weakens a plants structure as I learned the hard way.

The reason I want to top my plants is to break apical dominance.

Can I top my plants later on in veg, say mid veg so the topped node will be higher up the plant and will thereby presumably have a less weaker structure?, or is there another way to minimize weakening a plants structure when topping?
Check out growingyourgreens yt channel they have a great outdoor organic series 5-10 pounds per plant and have great techniques on supporting plants with cages and also training.

If you can’t top them, but want to end apical dominance, you can lst them by tying them down towards the ground, . The exposed side branches will become dominant.

Yeah that's all I'm trying to achieve is ending apical dominance, I didn't know that could be done with LST. I guess the same could be achieved by super cropping.

I assumed that topping was the only way to achieve that goal. So just getting a even canopy breaks apical dominance. I understand now.

All that said, high wind and rain can mess with any plant, additional support is a good idea.

I'll try trellis netting this season and let the branches support each other as well as using a single thick bamboo to support the stem.

Check out growingyourgreens yt channel they have a great outdoor organic series 5-10 pounds per plant and have great techniques on supporting plants with cages and also training.
I've been following that series since last year and although I'm growing under some very different circumstances than TD which prevents me from applying his support techniques, I do however pick up other tips and tricks from him that I gratefully can use in my grows.

Back
Top Bottom