How do I determine a female sex plant from a male?

Here's a nice pic of my hermie and I had such high hopes for her! LOL
DSCN59351.JPG

Posting this Just because it might help someone out in the future seeing the pic....

Thanks Paint she looks pretty :cheer:

Paint is that last plant from the same batch of seeds that you previously found a male cannabis plant in? Do you have more plants from the same batch of seeds?

Yep King, from the same batch but they were just random bag seeds. I have one single female left and she is doing really good, lots of nice buds so far. Hopefully she will stay female... LOL

Yep King, from the same batch but they were just random bag seeds. I have one single female left and she is doing really good, lots of nice buds so far. Hopefully she will stay female... LOL

Watch that last female plant you have in flower for female pollen sacks as well. Female pollen sacks may be removed with sharp scissors and cleaned by spraying water to neutralize any stray pollen.

Watch that last female plant you have in flower for female pollen sacks as well. Female pollen sacks may be removed with sharp scissors and cleaned by spraying water to neutralize any stray pollen.
Watching her like a hawk, only having one female left makes it alot easier to keep a eye on...hopefully she will remain pure! :)

This is my first grow but i do want to know the sexes.
more details check below images

Plant 1
yPjh4r.jpg

LSeUJ6.jpg

kJa7Ey.jpg

1JIbGg.jpg

Plant 2 pic unavailable

Plant 3
TNzPk3.jpg

8W4daQ.jpg

QQmtzI.jpg

Plant 4
yhTDmb.jpg

Also please tell how to take photos of the same (to know the sexes and take good macro photos of cannabis)

I hope i took good photos

The plants are 62 days old (seed to current state of flower) and they are in flower since 10 days
Please identify the sex of the plants

A little early but they look like females to me. I am sure the more experienced will check in to let you know for sure though...

Plant one is a male... Plant three looks like a male also. Plant four is a little hard to tell. Just keep an eye on them for the next 7 days.

This is my first grow but i do want to know the sexes.
more details check below images

Also please tell how to take photos of the same (to know the sexes and take good macro photos of cannabis)

I hope i took good photos

The plants are 62 days old (seed to current state of flower) and they are in flower since 10 days
Please identify the sex of the plants

Excellent photographs! I believe that it is too early to sex your cannabis plants. Please keep us updated with new photographs as your cannabis flowers to help identify the sex of the plants.

Here is a male and female cannabis plants

Male_Female_Cannabis_Plants.jpg

Here is the female cannabis pre flower

The_Early_Female_Preflower.jpg

@KingJohnC
Thank you very much for saying "excellent" will upload more next week.
Regarding Photos it took me like 1:30 hr to take than again 2hr to remove tags,crop and choose. I am glad that the efforts paid off.

So now (from your side) it is unclear (male/female) will upload more next week
This are nirvanas freebie i hope it will consist atleast 1 female. Plant 2 is not showing any sign so i didn't uploaded. I have no other plant. Only this 4 plants. The actual seed were disaster (didn't sprout atall) so depending on this freebie.

Thats what I get for not letting the pictures load all the way! LOL
LOL... i also turned off external sites pic in my browser because i m too on limited bandwidth.
uploading to 420 gallery doest give control. i mean i myself cant delete it from gallery thats why uploaded to other site.

Plant one is a male... Plant three looks like a male also. Plant four is a little hard to tell. Just keep an eye on them for the next 7 days.

thx for the input. i will check all again after 7 days. I m also thinking plant 1 is male but after so much efforts my brain doesn't accepts it. It is my favourite from the bunch. it survived from "main stem tore during LST".... Now LETS WATCH !

@KingJohnC
@Tamir

Hi again guys
All are plant #1 photos. (which was declared male by @Tamir. NO OFFENCE !). My camera battery died on me so i had to settle for one plant

Very very small pistill emergence in the red circle. Sorry i was not able to take the pistill photo but it is VERY SMALL IN HEIGHT like just came out of the sack or whatever it is .

I get confused with this "NEW NODE GROWTH" (am i right is it sex organ ? better what it is ?)

I think i will give it more time as i think other plant are still not showing as agressively as this #1.
I really doubt why this is happening i mean why they are not showing full blown sex even after 2 weeks of flowering ! Any suggestion !

I am not able to make out a pistil in your first photograph. The second photograph shows a node where the branch forms from. Can you please go over your grow medium, nutrients you are using and how many milliliters per gallon, temperature and humidity of your grow area, lighting cycle you are using and what type of illumination you are using?

I am not able to make out a pistil in your first photograph. The second photograph shows a node where the branch forms from. Can you please go over your grow medium, nutrients you are using and how many milliliters per gallon, temperature and humidity of your grow area, lighting cycle you are using and what type of illumination you are using?

A i mentioned the camera battery died. but the pistill are so so small that i guess i will not be able to take photo (just like preflower pistills)

Grow medium - Coco + perlite
Nutrients for transistion

5gal transistion 2nd week flower (5gal per week for 4 plants)
(this nute used from last week veg till 2weeks into flower)

calmag plus 20 ml
florablend 20 ml
GH grow 15 ml
GH micro 15 ml
GH bloom 15 ml
hydroguard 10 ml
Silica 5ml
Bud ignitor 20 ml

ph 5.5 - 6.2
ppm - 700-800 @ .7 conversion factor or EC - 1.00 - 1.14 (in this stage)
12/12 photoperiod
Nirvana freebies

Number of days from seed till date - 70 days
Light used 400watt hps
Light distance lower than 2 ft ( doubt about it)
room temp and humidity - 24-27 deg c and humdity 40-65%

Feed ratio is 1 time per day with 10-20% run off
Run off is okay ph 5.5 ppm not calc

No other thing used will apply beneficial tea in 3 days (this is first time)

Okay guys Hold you breath
It took me 2 hrs of painfull statue stituation but i got the best i can get

This is PLANT #1
This IMAGE IS FOR REFRENCE how the below thing looks (the thing which is holding the pistill) what is it called ?
What is it called the red circle thing ? it is all over the plant #1..
What is it called the red circle thing ?

Now here it is
MY GUESS - IT IS THE WHITE PISTILL :cheer: isn't it ?

Please tell if it is female or still undecided ?

A i mentioned the camera battery died. but the pistill are so so small that i guess i will not be able to take photo (just like preflower pistills)

Grow medium - Coco + perlite
Nutrients for transistion

5gal transistion 2nd week flower (5gal per week for 4 plants)
(this nute used from last week veg till 2weeks into flower)

calmag plus 20 ml
florablend 20 ml
GH grow 15 ml
GH micro 15 ml
GH bloom 15 ml
hydroguard 10 ml
Silica 5ml
Bud ignitor 20 ml

ph 5.5 - 6.2
ppm - 700-800 @ .7 conversion factor or EC - 1.00 - 1.14 (in this stage)
12/12 photoperiod
Nirvana freebies

Number of days from seed till date - 70 days
Light used 400watt hps
Light distance lower than 2 ft ( doubt about it)
room temp and humidity - 24-27 deg c and humdity 40-65%

Feed ratio is 1 time per day with 10-20% run off
Run off is okay ph 5.5 ppm not calc

No other thing used will apply beneficial tea in 3 days (this is first time)

I would increase the General Hydroponics Flora Bloom to 8-10 milliliters per gallon. What brand of Silica are you using? Your grow environment conditions are excellent for vegetative growth and flowering. I would lower your High Pressure Sodium light if you are able to still cover your plants adequately with the 400 watt High Pressure Sodium light. Are you using a cooltube reflector with your High Pressure Sodium light bulb?

Here are some chart that may help you

You may be able to lower your light. Place your hand underneath the light bulb to the point you can not feel any heat and move the light above your canopy to that height, raise the light as your plants grow.

Here are some lumen versus distance charts, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Okay guys Hold you breath
It took me 2 hrs of painfull statue stituation but i got the best i can get

This is PLANT #1
This IMAGE IS FOR REFRENCE how the below thing looks (the thing which is holding the pistill) what is it called ?
What is it called the red circle thing ? it is all over the plant #1..
What is it called the red circle thing ?

Now here it is
MY GUESS - IT IS THE WHITE PISTILL :cheer: isn't it ?

Please tell if it is female or still undecided ?

The first photograph highlights a calyx where female cannabis plants may grow pistils from. Your second photograph appears to show a white pistil emerging from a calyx indication you have a female cannabis plant!

Actually this is my very first time. Only by reading materials online i have come so far.

First thing first !
1) Okay than it is calyx. So if it is pointed that definetely a female ?
2) Wow it is female ? I can't belive it ... Well atleast my time, money, efforts didn't go to waste ! I am very very happy. This was the #1 the survivor of mid stem tearing (without down time) lol

next for the grow things
1) Yes i already planned on increasing bloom but it was transistion stage that is why i was using low dose of Bloom.. I will decrease grow and increase bloom
2) I am using Dutch Master Silica (Any suggest / Anything wrong ?)
3) Regarding env i am not too sure but it is winter season. So i hope it finishes quickly. To be safe. I cannot affor ac and stuff.
4) Actually the light distance is 1.5 ft (16inch) from the top nodes. The problem in lowering is that all the four plant are different (sativa indica etc). The height is different too (4-5inchs). I will lower them but first i would like to know the genders because my plan is to grow only 1 plant which strong and female mostly indica dominant. So light adjustment will be done after selecting the strongest female.
5) No i am not using cooltube ! It is not available in here. I think it generate heat in the room (but i provided you the temp which consist this light temp so i guess it is okay). Will make a diy cool tube next time but for now everything is fien.
6) Regarding the chart and stuff. First of all thank you for it. I am really thankfull ! But untill i get the strongest of the lot i will not lower the light currenty i want to cover 4 plants under it ! And i already have my light in 9-18" zone (that is 18").

Question :-
1) Do you think my plant are hydroponic ? or is it just a coco grow ?
2) Can you tell me simple method of flushing ? Withour any agent or chemical (important) ! (as per hydro / coco grow question no 1)
3) Will increase in feed cycle in flowring stage, will it create problem ? if suppose i do 3-4 time per day ? (as per hydro / coco grow question no 1)
3) why you asked abt silica brand ?
4) can i take clone of the #1 plant ? will there be any problem or stress or downtime?
5) Okay than it is calyx. So if it is pointed that definetely a female ?
5) official confirmed that #1 is female ? I can't belive please one more time !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH @KingJohnC

Actually this is my very first time. Only by reading materials online i have come so far.

First thing first !
1) Okay than it is calyx. So if it is pointed that definetely a female ?
2) Wow it is female ? I can't belive it ... Well atleast my time, money, efforts didn't go to waste ! I am very very happy. This was the #1 the survivor of mid stem tearing (without down time) lol

next for the grow things
1) Yes i already planned on increasing bloom but it was transistion stage that is why i was using low dose of Bloom.. I will decrease grow and increase bloom
2) I am using Dutch Master Silica (Any suggest / Anything wrong ?)
3) Regarding env i am not too sure but it is winter season. So i hope it finishes quickly. To be safe. I cannot affor ac and stuff.
4) Actually the light distance is 1.5 ft (16inch) from the top nodes. The problem in lowering is that all the four plant are different (sativa indica etc). The height is different too (4-5inchs). I will lower them but first i would like to know the genders because my plan is to grow only 1 plant which strong and female mostly indica dominant. So light adjustment will be done after selecting the strongest female.
5) No i am not using cooltube ! It is not available in here. I think it generate heat in the room (but i provided you the temp which consist this light temp so i guess it is okay). Will make a diy cool tube next time but for now everything is fien.
6) Regarding the chart and stuff. First of all thank you for it. I am really thankfull ! But untill i get the strongest of the lot i will not lower the light currenty i want to cover 4 plants under it ! And i already have my light in 9-18" zone (that is 18").

Question :-
1) Do you think my plant are hydroponic ? or is it just a coco grow ?
2) Can you tell me simple method of flushing ? Withour any agent or chemical (important) ! (as per hydro / coco grow question no 1)
3) Will increase in feed cycle in flowring stage, will it create problem ? if suppose i do 3-4 time per day ? (as per hydro / coco grow question no 1)
3) why you asked abt silica brand ?
4) can i take clone of the #1 plant ? will there be any problem or stress or downtime?
5) Okay than it is calyx. So if it is pointed that definetely a female ?
5) official confirmed that #1 is female ? I can't belive please one more time !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH @KingJohnC

1) I do not sex a cannabis plant until either pistils emerge confirming a female cannabis plant or pollen sacks begin to form, the formations appears similar when small.

1) In flower I for High Intensity Discharge High Pressure Sodium lights I generally use 3-5 milliliters per gallon General hydroponics Flora Gro, 5-8 milliliters per gallon of Flora Micro and 10-15 milliliters per gallon of Flora Bloom.

I use General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part nutrients that can be mixed for all stages of vegetative growth and flowering. General Hydroponics Flora series can be used with hydroponic, soil and soiless mediums.

(click the photographs for direct links to the products)

General_Hydroponics_Flora_Gro.png

General_Hydroponics_Flora_Micro.png

General_Hydroponics_Flora_Bloom.png

2) The Dutch Master Gold Range SILICA recommended usage rates on the Dutch Master website

"Add Gold Range SILICA to your tank according to the online Nutrient Calculator or at the rate of 0.5 ml per litre or 2 ml per gallon of final tank level or volume."

Does the label recommend less for coco coir use?

1) Your plants are in coco coir which is considered a soiless medium.

Here is a coco coir tutorial that may help you

Lets Talk Coco! Organics & Salts

2) When I flush my plants I use the bathtub with and place a plastic milk crate to allow the water to drain easily. I would use at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as the pot size to flush the medium. This is different then a harvest flush.

A harvest flush is a period of time when either pH adjusted water or pH adjusted water and flushing agent are used for a period of day to allow the plants to use remaining nutrients in the medium and fan leaves, this greatly reduce any nutrients that would otherwise harm the taste, burning and use of the buds as medicine.

Here is a recipe for a home made Clearex Flushing Solution

I mixed up the Clearex Flushing Solution suggested by Goldengoose7

in a large pot I combined:
1 gallon of distilled water
240 grams of Dextrose (Used for Beer Making)
120 grams of Sucrose (White Table Sugar)
3 grams Sodium Benzoate (as a preservative)
10 drops of Green Food Coloring

the Clearex Flushing Solution was allowed to cool and returned to the 1 gallon container.

I will use 15 milliliters per gallon of this Clearex Flushing Solution during my final flushing.

Dextrose

Clearex_Flushing_Solution_-_001.JPG

Sucrose

Clearex_Flushing_Solution_-_002.JPG

Sodium Benzoate

Clearex_Flushing_Solution_-_003.JPG

the final Clearex Flushing Solution

Clearex_Flushing_Solution_-_004.JPG

3a) Are you hand watering or using a water feed system to water your plants? Can you explain your suggested watering schedule better?

3b) To know the brand and recommended application rates for the silica supplement that you are using.

4) You can take any 4"-6" long branch as a cutting to root as a clone, if you leave at least 1 node of the branch left on the plant the plant is able to grow new growth. How much stress a cannabis plant reacts to from either having cuttings taken or defoliation is strain and phenotype dependent. Can you please take some photographs of your plant #1?

5a) I do not believe that you may micro sex cannabis plants reliably. I only consider a cannabis plant female when
I see pistils indicating a female cannabis plant or see pollen sacks begin to form indicating a male cannabis plant.

5b) You have a female cannabis plant!

You are welcome! I am glad I could help you!

Back
Top Bottom