How to check the progress of roots in soil?

WhiteWidow9

I've been reading more and more about the importance of root development. The bottom line of what I've read is that you want the roots to grow deep and branch out enough to reach everywhere and utilize all of the nutrients in the soil, before putting the plant into 12/12. My question is: how do I check on the development of the root systems if the plant is in soil, and not damage those roots?

Plant size is a good indication of root size, if your plant is looking healthy I wouldn't worry to much also make sure that the top inch of your soil goes dry in between watering because if the soil has a slight dry cycle the roots will go in search of moisture thus creating a good root structure.

As mentioned above, the health of the foliage and plant above the soil will tell the tale. If it's healthy and vibrant you can rest assure your roots are great as well. Another thing I recommend is using mycorrhizae products to help extend your root system, essentially, which will help your plants receive all of the nutrients available.

Back
Top Bottom