420 Magazine Background

How To Germinate Seeds

Thirstymuppet

no feedback?
Alright chief. :ciao: Look I don't know much...anything about those plugs. I did the overnight soak, then paper towel and then into soil. Just started my 2nd grow and just now I see the 5th seed has germinated. That's 5/5. Although 1 did give me trouble in the last week!
I just said I'd weigh in on what I found with the 1st grow with respect to transplanting. When they were small it was easy. They didn't suffer at all. They are robust. They don't call it weed for nothing! My mistake was not putting them in their final pots early enough and having to transfer bigger plants. They were a bit shook looking afterwards but did recover quickly. Get them germinating. Once you have a root, worry about the leaves coming up. As soon as there are leaves get them under a light. And optionally repot as they get bigger depending on the pot. I don't think it matters how many transfers are involved in this!
As I say I don't know about plugs but you mentioned putting them 3-4" deep. I presume thats after the stems are up. Sounds too deep for a seed.
Best of luck. :goodluck: Are you doing a journal here? What ye growing? :peace:

BudBoy2

ok so i have the candy cane strain from crop king seeds and they have a 92 % germination rate ok so tell me wtf why cant i get any of them to grow like day 6 and im pretty sure i kill them all had one with a tap root in a good soil but somhow it rose to the top with the root showing first like i took it out and put it back into the paper towel method the other 4 have been germinating for a week now and nothing im getting new seeds tommorow but like im almost willing to give up idk what to do anymore please help me my seeds arnt doing anything they should be doing like in all these damn videos i see where the dam root is showing after being in a cup of water for 16 hours like i did everything this card is telling me to do and i feel like im wasting money sorry about the rant but please please help!!!
Hey there my friend, have you tried to scarify the seeds prior to glass of water or paper towel? What i mean is to score the seeds on some light sand paper or put in a glass with sand in it and shake it a bit. This helps get the mother nature coating that it puts on the seed off of it which in turn helps it to germinate. try it!!..:)

Sueveefrostybudz

ok so i have the candy cane strain from crop king seeds and they have a 92 % germination rate ok so tell me wtf why cant i get any of them to grow like day 6 and im pretty sure i kill them all had one with a tap root in a good soil but somhow it rose to the top with the root showing first like i took it out and put it back into the paper towel method the other 4 have been germinating for a week now and nothing im getting new seeds tommorow but like im almost willing to give up idk what to do anymore please help me my seeds arnt doing anything they should be doing like in all these damn videos i see where the dam root is showing after being in a cup of water for 16 hours like i did everything this card is telling me to do and i feel like im wasting money sorry about the rant but please please help!!!
If any thing you will learn in the germination prosses is patience and displine to alow them to grow and develop the first week or two alot is going on under ground as the roots develop your plant will start growing and your PH in the soil & Water its must that it stays stable but its sound likes you are handling them to much you got to observe them but not bother them and you need to keep them in a stable consistance inviroment it sound like your Girls are experiencing your stress & there Stressing out and if they are autoflowers it interfears with there growth cycle and they stress out and stagnates there growing development...but good luck im no scholar there got to be alot of studing that goes with this art because there is a Biology & Science to it as well...EC, TDS, PPM PH Spectrums & Mediums UV IR ...ECT dont give up more practice and experience it comes with time..Happy New Year...✌

RagnarLothbrok

hey I started to germinate my seeds I soaked them in water then put them in paper towel (toilet paper) for the last 2 days today is the 2nd day

usually my seeds would be sprouting or have a tap root coming out pretty quick but I've only noticed one tap root just peaking out of one seed this morning

it's a little concerning I have them on a plate in the moist paper towel in a dark place usually this always works for me in a couple days
should I just wait a bit longer or plant them in my peat moss plugs until I can get them in my hydration

or should I continue to wait for the tap roots to develop more (hopefully they all develop) until I plant in my plugs?

any answers help

Sueveefrostybudz

I Got away from the papper towel method i burned to many seeds, what i do is i get some water i put a half a cap Hydrogen Peroxide in the water it has oxygen in it, i put my seeds in the water on my Heating pad place them in dark place and in 12 to 72 hrs taproot, then i place it directly in Pallet or Rockwool if you have a Healthy medium for seedling i just place in it,also water to soak pallet in make sure the PH level is more to Lower 6 by at this stage what they feed off it more acceptable to lower PH with in that range and sprinkle some Mycrohazae in the whole you plant your seed with taproot going down another thing during this stage the most important step is warmth keep the pallet or rockwool or medium warm not hot!!! you burn them....just my personal opinion im sure there other ways but ther the picture..#Credible...#Peace #420Family

Attachments

Rich 3033

I Got away from the papper towel method i burned to many seeds, what i do is i get some water i put a half a cap Hydrogen Peroxide in the water it has oxygen in it, i put my seeds in the water on my Heating pad place them in dark place and in 12 to 72 hrs taproot, then i place it directly in Pallet or Rockwool if you have a Healthy medium for seedling i just place in it,also water to soak pallet in make sure the PH level is more to Lower 6 by at this stage what they feed off it more acceptable to lower PH with in that range and sprinkle some Mycrohazae in the whole you plant your seed with taproot going down another thing during this stage the most important step is warmth keep the pallet or rockwool or medium warm not hot!!! you burn them....just my personal opinion im sure there other ways but ther the picture..#Credible...#Peace #420Family
That's a good idea with the heatmat. I have one but no thermostat.

What I have been doing is using a petri dish, distilled water and a paper cloth.
Wet the cloth, pop the seed in and cover, place in a small box, then put that on top of the reflector. (So it's not in direct contact).

After 1-2 days they sprout then transplant into coco. I have just tried putting a germinated seed into a rockwool cube, 2 days and it popped out the top, then another day and a root had come out the side about an inch. It's that photo of the little one in a cup of coco.

Attachments

royalseedbank

420 Sponsor

What I have been doing is using a petri dish, distilled water and a paper cloth.
Wet the cloth, pop the seed in and cover, place in a small box, then put that on top of the reflector. (So it's not in direct contact).

After 1-2 days they sprout then transplant into coco. I have just tried putting a germinated seed into a rockwool cube, 2 days and it popped out the top, then another day and a root had come out the side about an inch. It's that photo of the little one in a cup of coco.
Glad to see you successfully put those seeds in life ;-)

Michaelchriton

Re: How to germinate seeds ?!

has anyone used rapid rooters? im a first time grower, long time smoker, now its for medical reasons. getting older and now its for need. tried rockwool now trying rapid rooters. just need tried and true procedures.
If rapid rooters are the little brown sponge things, they are great! I used all 54 of mine and everything that i didnt screw up is growing great. Ive put those rooter things in hydroton, coco coir, and dwc and everyone looks happy so far.

Michaelchriton

So i am about 1/3 of the way along my first grow and i popped some seeds the other day for a perpetual harvrst and i got the "brilliant" idea to spray the seeds with some diluted clonex as i figured it was like steroids for roots. Im pretty sure i killed the seeds cause ive seen 0 progress once i transferred to paper towel. Am i being impatient or am i a murderer? Thanks for the help

Rich 3033

So i am about 1/3 of the way along my first grow and i popped some seeds the other day for a perpetual harvrst and i got the "brilliant" idea to spray the seeds with some diluted clonex as i figured it was like steroids for roots. Im pretty sure i killed the seeds cause ive seen 0 progress once i transferred to paper towel. Am i being impatient or am i a murderer? Thanks for the help
Hi Michael it's the first time I've logged in for a while. How are they doing?

With seeds the germination time can be a bit unpredictable... Some of my seeds pop a taproot in 24 hours while others can take 3-7 days. If you don't see any progress after a week or two you can write them off.

I wouldn't bother trying to complicate germinating by spraying them with stuff, a wet paper cloth in a yogurt pot will suffice. they need moisture, high humidity and 20C is a good temp to help them sprout.

I never had issues germinating western hemisphere landrace sativa seeds in any type of soil in the western US. However, I germinated some eastern hemisphere indica seeds this year in soil and 30% of them died from dampening off (fungus).

That is very interesting. The North American seeds would be immunized (to some degree) against North American fungus, bacteria, etc., but might be susceptible to Eastern pathogens. I had not thought of that.

Top Bottom