How to setup air conditioning

wilson2

hi my extraction fans usually extract enough heat, the fans run through a controller which slows or speeds them up to suit. However when the ambient temp outside is above my desired temps the fans cant keep it cool enough. So my aircon kicks in, cools the room it turns off and ten minutes later turns back on due to the fans extracting all the cooled air. At present I have the aircon set a couple of degreees higher than the fan settings. Should I change this ? should I place the fans on timers and only run for ten out of 30min on hot days? should I manually turn the exhaust fan to its lowest speed and turn the inlet fan off? I would love to know what others do. My room draws and vents to the great outdoors, the constant cycling of the aircon will eventually puck it. thanks

Do you have conditioned air elsewhere you can pull your intake air from? Or is this a standalone building?

Right now your not really cooling much because the air likely only runs through the AC coil once before it's rejected back outside.

When your AC is running you want your air changes to be as minimal as possible. This helps you condition the same volume of air through multiple cycles across the evaporator coil. Giving you a cooler space.

If you want to run AC, and are dead set again running a sealed room and insist on using an outdoor intake turn your fans to the lowest speed and set your AC for the temp you want. Of course this eliminates any free cooling you can scavenge from outside air but it will reduce the amount of cycles the unit runs.

thanks for the reply, yes it is a stand alone room, I thought the only way you could seal a room is by injecting co2 into it otherwise the plant uses all that is available, and starves for co2. So how often would you need to cycle the room to prevent this on say a heavily planted room?

Correct if you seal it you will need co2. Which costs money I understand. But your dumping money out the exhaust vent now by exhausting conditioned air.

Slow your fans down to half speed and set your AC for the temp you want and see what happens. The temp should stay closer to Target temp. If it does and humidity doesn't go crazy turn them down further. The less air you bring in the less the AC will cycle.

Fresh air requirement should be ok with 2-5 air changes per hour. 1000 cubic feet needs 2000-5000 cubic feet per hour or ≈35-80cfm

Back
Top Bottom