How to: Simple Hydroponics

Thanks for the detailed response. :Namaste:

It took awhile, but I got back around to it :)

>>>I guess what I really want to know is, would putting an ozone gen before a carbon filter increase or shorten it's life?

Good question. So what you're saying is... stinky air comes out of the air con exhaust, which has the UV light inline, into a filter box. Then put a carbon filter in that box and pull that air thru the carbon outside. Or the alternative, stinky air goes into the filter box, then you suck into the carbon, thru the UVlight, and THEN outside. It makes sense that cleaner air would make the carbon last longer, but the question is, will ozone air damage the carbon. I don't know the answer to this question, but you bring up a good point.

Yep, that's what I was asking. If I put the ozone before the carbon, would the ozone hurt the carbon. I had not thought of it your way as "cleaner" air. Ozone doesn't clean anything does it? It's not a filter. Doesn't it just make the smelly stuff not smell?

If I get one, I'll put it in the chimney, but I can't smell anything outside anymore. I am already scrubbing inside the CGE flowering room AND I have another carbon filter scrubbing the leaky AC exhaust out the chimney. Basuically, the AC exhaust isn't as stinky as it used to be, and I am already filtering that exhaust.

It is a good question though...

You're lucky. Much better to have that problem, than too high of a humidity.

+1

I'm an ebb & flow guy too. Based on what he's saying, yes it's a CAP style ebb & flow with a brain bucket.
I think trays are a little simpler and cheaper, but I love love love my bucket system and am in the process of setting up 2 more.
Your point about the amount of res needed is valid. You do have to maintain a larger volume to get a proper flood, but I wonder if it really is less efficient in terms of nutrients. I don't add back nutes in between res changes, so am I using more nutes over the course of a grow? If my volume is mostly water... :blalol:

I love your crouton style too. For me, I like being able to reuse my rock. All that rockwool seems like something I have to dispose of. I compost all my waste now because it's just roots and stems. My neighbors might wonder about all the green fluff appearing all over my lawn and garden :biglaugh:

Keep 'em green my favorite superhero ;)

>>>Ozone doesn't clean anything does it? It's not a filter. Doesn't it just make the smelly stuff not smell?

It has no mechanical filtration, but it does KILL anything organic that goes thru it. Smell is organic. For example, if you turned on the UV in your sealed grow room, bugs would die, plants would die, and you would die too if you stayed in there long enough. But I still don't know if the residual ozone would hurt the carbon. My guess is no, and that it would make the carbon last longer, but that's just a guess.

>>>You do have to maintain a larger volume to get a proper flood, but I wonder if it really is less efficient in terms of nutrients. I don't add back nutes in between res changes, so am I using more nutes over the course of a grow?

I guess it depends on how much water you need to change to feel like you won't get any deficiencies. You know this, but for our other readers, PPM WILL RISE if you don't top off water. So PPM MUST be monitored between water changes. With a smaller volume of water, (like I use), PPM will rise quicker. The stuff you may have read about "If your PPM rises, you must be running too high a PPM to start".. Yeah, that's BS.

>>>All that rockwool seems like something I have to dispose of.

I will admit it is a pain in the arse to dispose of, but might be easier than sterilizing hydroton? Not sure. Your method is certainly more cost effective and environmentally friendly. It does NOT go in my garbage can by the road, that's for sure.

The stuff you may have read about "If your PPM rises, you must be running too high a PPM to start".. Yeah, that's BS.

Agree 100%. Never understood that logic.

I will admit it is a pain in the arse to dispose of, but might be easier than sterilizing hydroton? Not sure. Your method is certainly more cost effective and environmentally friendly. It does NOT go in my garbage can by the road, that's for sure.

I don't sterilize the rock since I run a sterile res anyway (DM Zone). I've actually come up with a system to clean the rock that isn't too bad. Really all I'm trying to do is remove the old roots. Some guys try to dissolve them with enzymes. I just let the rocks dry out, then I can just 'screen' the rock and the roots fall off. I made a little screen box, but I'm working on a design for a motorized version.

Gahhh capn very frustrated, my plan was to wake up an go to my local hydro store to get your nutes.? But now it seems your blog post with your recipe breakdown is gone :( if you still have it would you mind pming me it I tried to pm you but I cannot because of my posts

Thanks again mike
I was excited to use it after more research last night I noticed general hydro had ph buffered/ stabilizer

Gahhh capn very frustrated, my plan was to wake up an go to my local hydro store to get your nutes.? But now it seems your blog post with your recipe breakdown is gone :( if you still have it would you mind pming me it I tried to pm you but I cannot because of my posts

Thanks again mike
I was excited to use it after more research last night I noticed general hydro had ph buffered/ stabilizer

Every time I mix up nutrients, I start with:
4ml/gal cal mag
4ml/gal flora blend
1ml/gal dutch master or armor si silica (not on freshly rooted clones or seedlings)

Then, for veg I use:
3 ml/gal grow
2 ml/gal micro
1 ml/gal bloom
Then adjust to 500 ppm
For seedlings and WELL ROOTED clones in veg, 300ppm

For transition (1 week before flower, and two weeks into): 600-700ppm
4ml/gal cal mag
4ml/gal flora blend
1ml/gal dutch master silica
3 ml/gal grow
3 ml/gal micro
3 ml/gal bloom

after 3rd week of flower: 800-1000ppm
4ml/gal cal mag
4ml/gal flora blend
1ml/gal dutch master silica
2 ml/gal grow
3 ml/gal micro
5 ml/gal bloom

Last question do you leave an air stone after you've mixed your nutes? I will have the 5 gal mixed for clones but will have about 20-25 gals mixed in main res for veg as we'll

Thank you again capn... Here is what I started with
image15195.jpg

And 21 days later only this big
No where near your results I think because the constant ph swing aqua flake has (never ending ph battle)
But now on to bigger an better things, I now pretty much mimic your veg at least Can't wait to watch them grow I'll be extremely happy if I can get even half your growth speed

Back
Top Bottom