How To Stop My Calcium Deficiency?

Tasty WinterB

Hi I am growing in coco + perlite mix and got calcium magnesium nitrate powder from my hydro shop that I was told to mix with the coco and perlite but after a while that will flush away with feedings ect..

I am starting to see very very small rust spots on one or two leaves could be Calcium deficiency starting.

So I wanted to know will it be good to mix 1 tsp of the calcium magnesium nitrate powder with 3 gallons of water and just foliar feed my plant once a week give her a good spray down to prevent any deficiencies or should I rather mix in with the nutes? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Do you know what percent nitrogen it is? If it's 8-0-0, then mix 1lb per gallon to make a concentrate. Use 5-10ml per gallon of the concentrate with your feed water (this should be the first thing you add to the RO/tap/well water). Make sure to shake it well before you measure it every time. I like to make it in a quart bottle since it's easier to pour in a teaspoon/tablespoon. At that concentration, 10ml in a gallon should bring a 0ppm solution up to around 160-170ppm.

Usually calcium magnesium nitrate comes in a powdered (soluble) form. If it's in granular or pellet form, you'll need to crush it before you mix it in to water.

High Tasty WinterB

You'd be better off getting some CalMag if you want some Ca. tho that stuff you have will work. I used to make my own calcium nitrate and mixed that at 10g/100ml then used 1ml/L. I also used epsom salts for the Mg and S. Most nutes have enough Ca but more is needed if using RO or distilled water. CalMag is good for that to get the Mg too.

The first signs of Ca deficiency are slow growth and young leaves turn very dark green, new growing shoots discolour then contort, shrivel and die. Not spots. Excess Ca can lock out P, Mg, Manganese, and Iron. Ca can be washed out of leaves by spraying with water.

A picture of the spots an of the whole plant would be a big help in identifying the problem. One or two leaves is most often no problem at all.

L8r

Hi tasty winterB,
I agree with oldmeduser, calmag is a must when your growing in coco. I've been using coco for years and always add it as part of my nutrient program. A good way to get it to your plants fast is to use a half strength mix and foliar spray or Vitalink do a good calcium foliar feed, but make sure you give it a good few mins before lights on or just before they go off! The stuff you have now should do the trick no probs, just watch your dosage!! Good luck mate, hope you clear up that deficiency.

*******The first signs of Ca deficiency are slow growth and young leaves turn very dark green, new growing shoots discolour then contort, shrivel and die. Not spots. Excess Ca can lock out P, Mg, Manganese, and Iron. Ca can be washed out of leaves by spraying with water. ********

Hi Tasty WinterB, Sorry, don't mean to hijack your post, but this comment by OldMedUser has me concerned about my growth rates in the same media grow. Mind stopping by and giving a peek, OMU??? Please?? lol

As to your calcium concerns, I have done one grow in coco/perlite and used CALiMAGic by General Hydroponics and haven't had any issues with it other than my own stoned stupidity. lol. Gave her a burn.

Sorry to bust in like this, Andy.:Namaste:

:high-five::circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom