HPS/LED Set up - New to this

GrowOZ420

Hello all. New to this! So I just have a couple of ideas just looking for some advice. Okay... so this is a Soil grow in a 4x8x7 tent got from a friend. Also have 1hood with 600w hps, inline fans and all that. Starting a no till living soil grow, 15-20 Gal Geo pots. Now I was thinking of adding Two Mars Hydro 96 reflectors. One to each side of the hps at a slight angel to add more coverage to the tent. How many plants would be optimal in this size tent with that light set up? I know that should be plenty of light to cover most of the tent and my idea to go with the LEDs instead of a second HPS is Heat temps in the tent... Not really sure if that would be a problem. Anyone that could give me some advice or point me in the right direction would be nice! Thanks everyone and looking forward to learning so much from the community here.

Hi GrowOZ420,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community that gathers here. :welcome:

Lucky you to have a friend that could help with some of the basics items to begin your grow! While your tent will accomodate a larger number, as this is your first endeavor, may I suggest you start with a limited number of plants. Maybe 6 or 8 at most.

The possible addition of the LED's would drastically reduce the heat issues compared to adding a second HPS and would provide additional spectrums of light very beneficial to the plants. If you choose not to add the LED's at this time, your 600 watt'er will provide enough light to accomodate the same 6-8 plants assuming you don't allow them to get too big.

Be well and happy growing!

Would it be advantageous to run the lower plant count and keep them in Veg longer (train them a bit) as they will be in 15-20gal pot which would give them plenty of room to grow... Goal here is quality not yield, hince the organic no till.

Might look into a light mover to make the best use of your 600 watt HID. 600 watts of HID is good for about 4'x4' at most. The additional two reflectors will help, although I would recommend at least going with the Reflector 144.

My thinking wasn't really motivated by longer veg time, although that certainly is a possibility with enough light. Lower plant count suggestion was to keep numbers managable for a learning grower. I was also considering that the addition of the LED's was not set in stone and wanted to provide a suggestion that would work either way.

I'm sure you've seen all the various methods of training and pruning plants to increase/improve yield. FIM, Topping, mainlining, Low Stress Training, Supercropping, Scrog, etc...thought if you wanted to explore some of those you could do so without having a bunch of other plants to attend at the same time. Even if you choose not to do any modification to the plant, I thought learning to properly water and inspect 6 or 8 plants would be easier than trying to manage the 12-14 you could easily jam into that tent.

I found getting a living organic soil, that is rich enough to support a plant all the way through a grow, but not so rich as to burn them when young to be a challange and I had more experience in that area than most. Not an expert by any means, but above average in knowledge and experience. I finally settled on a hybrid sort of soil where I begin with a good base with organic basic starter nutrients (i.e. NPK) and then amend as the plant grows to either replenish them or supply nutrients required in moving into and through bloom, but not initially. I hate to admit to making assumptions, but I just realized in my response I assumed that you too might find the soil to be a bit of a challenge and thought fewer plants would be easier to improve if symptoms of a deficiency popped up.

Still working on the soil recipe. I'll get it right enough one these days to only need water for the entire grow! :laughtwo: :morenutes:

From what I understand first couple of goes in a Living soil are going to be a little more work and you will have to feed the soil/plant alittle more but the longer you have that eco system going the better it gets. Not really looking to knock it out of the park first go. If that was the case I would just buy a hydro system and follow instruction.
In reality the HPS will be getting removed and I will be building two DIY COB lights. And the Mars Reflectors will be moved into a Veg tent.
I do see what you are saying about having fewer plants so its not so overwhelming.

Juan I am going to build two DIY COB lights to replace both HID and Mars. Mars will go in Veg room, HID put up in storage. The reason I am going ahead with the HID for now is because it was given to me and is ready to go. ☺

I am not questioning your choice of the HID, I am asking why would you not build a DIY Cree setup instead of buying Mars Hydro units?

Well... The DIY lights I plan to build will cost me around 1000$ a piece and I dont have the time right now to build them. The Mars lights will be used for veg. Its not that I dont want my own diy lights. Just easier to go this route, which also allows me to take my time and tinker with exactly how I want to build my lights.

It is a shame that you don't have the time. With the money you would spend in the two reflectors you could make one or two smaller DIY LED bars @ 3500K and then when you switch things up make 5000K veg DIY and complete your bloom lamp.

Back
Top Bottom