Im a bit confused on lighting, got a sec?

dropabob

Hi, ive been roaming the boards here and first wanted to thank all who participate, its great! My question is, im new to growing in fact this is my first effort. Anyway, went to my local shop and bought a 400W Metal Hy. Sun light system and slapped it over some seeds i just got to pop. But, over the last few days the growth is really wierd with long skinny stems that are already leaning over. So, i showed a pic to a friend that has more experience then me and he said im using the wrong lights, i need to go get some t-5 lights. Im a bit bummed as when i went on the advice of the guy at my grow store he said get this that i bought and when im ready to flower get a high sodium bulb. My friend said this light is to hot to get a plant going? If that so, did i waste a boatload of dough? ANy thoughts on my process that you could help me out with...? thanks all!

you're all good man, lil seedlings will be kind of long and stretchy at first, an inch and a half long stem is probably the norm before you see growth above the cotyldon, I'd put your light about 18-24 inches above them and just make sure the temps don't get above 80 degrees and a humidity around 70-80% is what you want (im about 99% sure on that one, someone correct me if that's too high) You didn't waste your money, the seedlings will bend to get more light, no big deal. Most people tho just use little fluoro tubes or CFL's to start off seedlings to save electricity and conserve your bulb plus it keeps the temps down. Look into getting a couple CFL's or a little 2 bulb 2foot fluoro light at like Wal-Mart for $15 and the plant and aquarium bulbs, after about 2 weeks put them under the metal halide.

What he said ^

You may need to support your seedlings so they don't fall over. Its also a good ida to have a fan gently blowing air across your seedlings as well. A good way to determine if your light is too close to your plants is by using your hand to test temperature. place your hand at the top of your plants. If the back of your hand is uncomfortably warm then so are your plants. At this point keep that light pretty far away. 3' should be fine at this stage of there life

Back
Top Bottom