Is 20 degrees temp fluctuation at night too much?

Happyjoy

hey everyone. i need some help.
i just added a 400w hps to my current grow. i was using a 96x3 led up till now.
basically my temps before adding the hps were 60f night, 70f day.

right now after adding the hps, the temps have gone to 87f day, 60 night. is that too drastic of a fluctuation?

my different options seem to be:
1)cool tube
2)heater at night (definately not an option)
3)to run the hps alone without the LED (that would knock the heat in the day to 80-82f,
4)to switch lights to be on at night etc. (i would rather avoid also, due to possible light leak if during night)

i could buy a cooltube here, but they cost about 50$, which i would rather avoid, since the hps is just on loan to me right now.

i dont want to invest in buying and running a heater

i could run the hps alone to make it about 10 deg less of a fluctatuion. my room is 2x3 feet, so a 400w hps will give me about 66W per sq foot. but i really like the idea of running it together with my LED (180w draw power), which gives me about 95W per sq foot of LED light mixed with hps. question is, if the 5-10 deg more that the led causes, will cause more damage, than the extra light...

any ideas?

i'd run the HPS only

a 17F degree fluctuation at temps you have listed would likely slow growth rate while also heat stressing ur girls - double whammy

this was also an issue in my growroom and i ultimately settled on a 7 fin oil filled radiator and it has been a God Send

Good Luck!

i'd run the HPS only

a 17F degree fluctuation at temps you have listed would likely slow growth rate while also heat stressing ur girls - double whammy

this was also an issue in my growroom and i ultimately settled on a 7 fin oil filled radiator and it has been a God Send

Good Luck!

thnks for the replly.
what i ended up doing, was i took out the LED and run only the HPS.
also i switched lights on schedule to night time, to make things balance out even a little more.

lights on heat is around 79-81F,
lights off is still around 60 :(

but at least its not a 25deg fluctation as it was earlier. and the heat during the day isnt 85F

im considering getting another LED panel, and running two leds instead of just the hps. or a 250W hps, and running it together with my LED.

Nature swings temps on average about 22 degrees between day highs and night lows in my area. If mother nature does it everyday, I think it'll be alright. But what do I know, I'm not a plant! Maybe it does matter indoors more than outdoors.:thumb:

Best of Buds

JB

:Namaste:

Mine do that, never seems to hurt them. If your running a blue or purple strain the temps could go lower to get better color.

If you have plants in veg (on a 24/7 light cycle) besides the flowering room, you could recycle some of that heat via an automatic round damper and 2 thermostats (1 for cooling and 1 for heating). Use a Belimo LMB24-3-T 24 vac/vdc actuator with a 4" damper and some flex duct (coupled with a cheap repeat cycle timer) and use a relay coming off your flowering room light timer as a master (on/off) control for this heating. Allow a little negative air pressure in the flowering room to let some of the hot air from the veg room passively flow through this heating duct which is slowly inched more open or closed until the night time flowering room temp is exactly where you want it without making the veg room colder than you like.
That is a very common method of industrial heat recycling dating back to the dawn of the industrial revolution. Oh, by the way, it is a growth inhibitor to have too much of a night time differential during the first 2-3 weeks of flowering. The plants are still vegging during the first 2-3 (sometimes a little more than 3 weeks) weeks of flowering and we know from countless experience of many that vegging plants don't like cold temps one bit. Also from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom