Is age of mother that big of a deal?

pointer80

Hello all, Ok my mother plants are about 4 1/2 weeks old right now and are good size and have quite a few clone sites. I have read that a mother should be at least 2 months old before taking clones, Is this true? and if so what will happen if I try cloning earlier than 2 months? Thanks all.

If you have the available cutting(s) site(s) then go for it. Keeping in mind that when you say mother, I take that as meaning that you plan on keeping her around for a while longer to eventually, and continuously take more clones down the road. So be sure that you cut right above the node without damaging the two remaining grow tips so that she pushes out a minimum of two more branches for every cutting you've retrieved. I believe that the two month rule may be because it may in fact take up to two months for a plant grown from seed to show sex. Wich also means mature enough to be put into flower. This is just a simple explanation. Best i could do with the basic information that you've supplied.
Now I'm not positive if thats why or not, but from my basic knowledge and experience of growing cannabis, thats the best i could do. Hope everything works out.

If you have the available cutting(s) site(s) then go for it. Keeping in mind that when you say mother, I take that as meaning that you plan on keeping her around for a while longer to eventually, and continuously take more clones down the road. So be sure that you cut right above the node without damaging the two remaining grow tips so that she pushes out a minimum of two more branches for every cutting you've retrieved. I believe that the two month rule may be because it may in fact take up to two months for a plant grown from seed to show sex. Wich also means mature enough to be put into flower. This is just a simple explanation. Best i could do with the basic information that you've supplied.
Now I'm not positive if thats why or not, but from my basic knowledge and experience of growing cannabis, thats the best i could do. Hope everything works out.
Thank you for the reply, I plan on probably putting her out in the garden along with the clones and finishing them all. I want to take some clones now for a couple of friends so I can get some practice before I am ready to take clones for myself which should be about last of april. Thanks

Mate, if you want to save on space, you can keep your mums, then clone, make the clone the new mum.
Then the original mum becomes a plant for flowering...easy, and already vegged and trimmed back ready to pot up and go hard.
Can clone a clone a week or so after rooting if you have the growth needed.
I have kept mums for years by using that method....

Back
Top Bottom