Is decarbing really necessary before making butter?

Scottsquatch

Is decarbing really necessary if you're going to be making it into butter anyway? I thought it decarbed while it was cooking with the butter/oil. Is that not correct? If you really do need to do this before making butter, can somebody please explain why? I am a bit confused. Thanks.

I am no expert by any means, but from what I have read on the subject it starts to decarboxylate when exposed to heat over 200f after half an hour or so.

But the thing is, brownies for example are baked at 375f, but are done when they are around 180f. So the cannabis never has a chance to decarboxylate fully. The same could be said for when you're making the butter, it doesn't have enough time or heat to decarboxylate.

So, in my humble opinion, I would just decarboxylate the cannabis first to be safe.
:thumb:

I heard its easier/safer (for less loss of potency) to decarb the budder instead of decarbing the bud and then adding the bud to the butter.
I read it on the internet, so you know its true...

You can decarboxylate at a higher temperature for a shorter length of time, or a lower temperature for a longer length of time. When it's already in something that you're cooking (/making), it takes longer to heat up and might not get hot enough for long enough to do the job, or at least to do it fully.

If the thing you're preparing has water in it, it's going to hover around 212°F (lower, at high altitude) until most (all?) of that water has boiled off.

Here's an article I just found that has a graph. It looks like it's showing the amount of the THC(a) in their samples that gets decarboxylated, depending on the temperature the sample is heated to and how long it is kept at that temperature.

Back
Top Bottom