Is it better to feed nutes full strength every other watering or half strength every watering?

jokerlola

Right now on my outdoor plants I feed nutes the full strength every other watering and I have to water about every other day so I feed about twice a week. Would it be better to cut the nute strength in half and feed with every watering?

Right now on my outdoor plants I feed nutes the full strength every other watering and I have to water about every other day so I feed about twice a week. Would it be better to cut the nute strength in half and feed with every watering?
Good question! It is better to go with the full strength feed and then water in between. If you give half strength nutes each time, even if the plant wants more, all it gets is half strength. If you go with the tried and true method of full strength every other time, the plant can uptake a lot more on that first pass if it is capable of doing so and if it wants that much, and the plant can really get a massive push of nute and that will result in a good growth spurt, and the water only pass allows the plant to finish up with that load of nutes and munch on anything left over in the soil, keeping the soil clean. Half strength each time is slow and steady and an easy way to grow without pushing the plants (some people are afraid of a little tip burn) while full strength water/feed/water/feed is a much more aggressive way of growing that will result in bigger plants. My philosophy is that if you are going to use nutes.... nute like a boss. Nute like you mean it or why in the world are you spending all that money on nutes, to be timid??

Good question! It is better to go with the full strength feed and then water in between. If you give half strength nutes each time, even if the plant wants more, all it gets is half strength. If you go with the tried and true method of full strength every other time, the plant can uptake a lot more on that first pass if it is capable of doing so and if it wants that much, and the plant can really get a massive push of nute and that will result in a good growth spurt, and the water only pass allows the plant to finish up with that load of nutes and munch on anything left over in the soil, keeping the soil clean. Half strength each time is slow and steady and an easy way to grow without pushing the plants (some people are afraid of a little tip burn) while full strength water/feed/water/feed is a much more aggressive way of growing that will result in bigger plants. My philosophy is that if you are going to use nutes.... nute like a boss. Nute like you mean it or why in the world are you spending all that money on nutes, to be timid??

OK. I am using Dutch Pro nutrients, their starter pack that they were giving out for free at the Indo Expo. Their nute schedule isn't very detailed. It just says what to amounts feed per week but says nothing about when to feed. I emailed them for more specifics and they said to feed every watering. But that just seemed too much once I started needing to water more frequently as the plants got bigger.

There are so many different theories to feeding. Some say Feed, Feed, Feed, Water. Some say Water, Water, Water, Feed. But right now with maybe about a month or so to go till harvest I will stick with Feed, Water, Feed, Water.

Thanks!

Although this is the first year I tried using nutes, and I am using a different brand than you, I would have to agree with Emilya on this, especially growing outdoors. Put the feed to them until they show some sign of distress, and then cut back until they are pushed, but not enough to hurt them.

I have one girl, in a 22gal tote of coco that is getting 4-5 gallons of feed a day and went from a 4” plant on June 4th, to a 7 foot tall, 5 foot round monster.

Although this is the first year I tried using nutes, and I am using a different brand than you, I would have to agree with Emilya on this, especially growing outdoors. Put the feed to them until they show some sign of distress, and then cut back until they are pushed, but not enough to hurt them.

I have one girl, in a 22gal tote of coco that is getting 4-5 gallons of feed a day and went from a 4” plant on June 4th, to a 7 foot tall, 5 foot round monster.

Wow! This is my first year of using nutes as well and only my 4th grow. In my first 2 grows I used amended soil and added more worm castings and used granular bloom fertilizer for flowering. Last year I used Sohum Living Soil and used only water through the whole grow. This year because of covid I wound up just reusing the Sohum Soil so I needed to start using the nutes I had on hand. I did use nutes with almost every watering all thru veg but once in flower and watering got up to every other day, I switched to feeding every other watering.

Back
Top Bottom