Is it genetics or my actions?

Makeminefullgrown

So I’m growing this photo, it just finished 9weeks of 12-12. It’s a seed from a clone that I purchased from a member on another forum. The strain is White Truffle x Okie 2.
Growing in KokoBop from Fox Farms mixed w/ rice hulls, EWC, Bokashi Pro-Gro, and Gaia Green.
Lights are 2 HLG’s…..a 320w rspec and a 150w Patriot…..in a 2x6 closet.
Conditions stay in a good zone…lights on its 76-79F, 40-45% RH……lights off it has gotten a bit cooler than I usually run…..gets down into the high 50’s….
The original clone had some issue late in flower….i believe it had lockout that showed as a K def. It finished out and was god awful frosty, but just didn’t have the bud structure that I have gotten from literally every other strain I’ve grown….between 2 and 3 dozen.
The entire plant yielded around 4.5 oz and produced a handful of seeds. I’m not knowledgeable on this topic at all, but I’m guessing either stress or genetics caused the plant to rodelize (sp?)…..
So the plant I’m growing is one of those seeds.
The plant has just not grown like any plant I’ve seen. The KokoBop is amended out of the bag and I added a light dose of the above list.
It went into a 7 gal pot (from a 1 gal) and vegged for 2 weeks prior to the flip.
It didn’t really stretch at all….the stems got super thick but hardly any length.
As it went into flower, I thought I may have overdone it w/ the amendments…..the leaves were dark green, although the strain info claims it’s a darker leafed strain.
But as the buds began forming, they were as frosty as anything I’ve ever grown but they’re extremely leafy.
They produced very few pistils…..just a few.
The plant has never shown any noticeable deficiencies, despite the fact that I’ve only given it one very light top dress of Gaia Green 2-8-4, around week 5 of flower….a month ago.
I’m just curious if I was heavy handed w/ the initial amending of the medium, and that’s causing the leafy bud structure…..or if it’s just genetics….????
At this point there’s a random white pistil here and there, the smell is a cross b/t gasoline and a Hobo’s morning breath…..very funky and loud. Trichs are almost all cloudy…..a few random clears and even fewer ambers.
Gonna give her a week and probably chop.
As usual my post is long winded….i apologize. But if you’ve managed to read it all, I’d like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks and happy growing.
IMG_8058.jpeg
IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8056.jpeg

I see the dark green, almost a purple green, that you are talking about. I am kinda curious about the upper portion of the canopy where the plant leaves have a gray green color to them. Cannot tell if it is the lighting, the flash on the camera, or something else.

Conditions stay in a good zone…lights on its 76-79F, 40-45% RH……lights off it has gotten a bit cooler than I usually run…..gets down into the high 50’s….
Reads like the temperatures are running a bit on the cool side which will slow down the growth of the plant. Getting down to the upper 50s is close to an overnight shutdown till it warms back up when the lights come on and the temps get back into the mid to upper70s.

If using LED lights it might help to get the temperatures in the canopy area up to the mid 80s. The humidity is OK though some growers mention that they like it up a bit higher during the vegetating stage and in the 40s for flowering.

Something to think about.

I see the dark green, almost a purple green, that you are talking about. I am kinda curious about the upper portion of the canopy where the plant leaves have a gray green color to them. Cannot tell if it is the lighting, the flash on the camera, or something else.

Reads like the temperatures are running a bit on the cool side which will slow down the growth of the plant. Getting down to the upper 50s is close to an overnight shutdown till it warms back up when the lights come on and the temps get back into the mid to upper70s.

If using LED lights it might help to get the temperatures in the canopy area up to the mid 80s. The humidity is OK though some growers mention that they like it up a bit higher during the vegetating stage and in the 40s for flowering.

Something to think about.
Hey there….thanks for taking the time to read my wordy post.
I should have clarified: during veg and early flower my canopy temps were 79-82 and the RH was higher……mid 60’s early on and gradually scaling down to where it is now.
The pics are a little deceiving. There’s no gray shades at all, instead it’s all either really dark green, lighter green on some of the lower unexposed areas, or dark purple that’s trending to black.
I trained it and spread her open as much as I could and it still grew too tight and bushy for my taste….i recently defoliated a little and opened it up. I was afraid that it would get some kind of mold with such a thick mass of leaves growing on top of each other. When I did the inner portions were a much brighter green….kinda like any bud formation that you’d pull apart….its tough to describe.
I’ve grown bushy plants before and have never seen one that was determined to grow into such a tightly bound formation.
The heads look great but once u get below the first big sugar leaf, it’s a different story.
All I know is I’ve grown this strain twice…from a clone and from a seed from that clone and I’m not sure I wanna tackle it again. I prefer the strains w/ a high calyx to leaf ratio that are easy to trim. This will not be easy or quick.
The thing is, most of the sugar leaves that I would normally trim away are covered in trichs……oh well…..I’ll call her Janice Joplin for her unshaven (and funky smelling) appearance.
Thanks again buddy.

The pics are a little deceiving. There’s no gray shades at all, instead it’s all either really dark green, lighter green on some of the lower unexposed areas, or dark purple that’s trending to black.
I was not sure what was happening and noticed that the photo made some of the leaves at the top of the canopy look gray.

There is a thread somewhere around here that is about the same sort of purple coloring. Members have posted photos of their purple plants and purple flower buds. And very often the purple color will develop into an almost black leaves and buds.

My Blue Dream clones will have dark green leaves and buds. My Peanut Butter Cup clones will be a similar dark green but after a few weeks of flowering the leaves and buds turn a rich dark purple and sometimes black.

They look very good, I wouldn't sweat the dark/purple leaves, I think you'll get some great buds. The purple is a phenotype, and normally a desirable one, at least for looks, don't think it affects potency. I ran a couple Sunset Sherbets last grow, one was as purple as Barney, the other was green. They both tasted/smelled thre same, go figure!

Back
Top Bottom