Is it nearly ready?

Bluewillo

420 Member
Hi all, I'm in my first year of growing so learning every day. Apologies if these are questions that have been answered elsewhere on the site.

So I've been growing outdoors in pvc tents in the UK. I had them closed off and I got really bad condensation, I had to cut a lot away from the plant. But I'm at the stage in the photos. I've been advised to flush for 10 days, dry and cure them in case they get any more bud rot.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20200928_185920.jpg
    20200928_185920.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20200928-200715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-200715_Gallery.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200928_185812.jpg
    20200928_185812.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200928_185804.jpg
    20200928_185804.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 31
Flushing can wash a few nutes & fine sediment out of your soil, and is good if you are having a soil problem........ but but does nothing to improve the taste or wash nutrients out of your buds. Your plants took up nutes from the soil & ferts you poured over them as they needed it.....flooding them with water does not change that. Scientific studies show there are no improvements between flushed and unflushed. Flushing to improve taste or wash nutes out of your buds is a myth. Here’s the link. InTheShed No flush club

Plus since you’ve already got rot - why add more water that’s insane?

So I don't need to flush. Thanks for that. It seems people's views are 50/50 on flushing.

So, what should I do? Continue to feed her and wait a bit longer to see if she bulks up, or cut up and dry now?

Hi all, I'm in my first year of growing so learning every day. Apologies if these are questions that have been answered elsewhere on the site.

So I've been growing outdoors in pvc tents in the UK. I had them closed off and I got really bad condensation, I had to cut a lot away from the plant. But I'm at the stage in the photos. I've been advised to flush for 10 days, dry and cure them in case they get any more bud rot.

What do you think?
Hi bluewillow, I have never grown outdoors in the UK but indoors. My little rule is when 30% of the pitsels turn Amber, flush for a week, depending on your medium, and check your trichromes under magnification. They start crystal clear at the start of flowering and end a cloudy white. If left too long the trichromes will turn a brown colour meaning you are starting to convert thc into cbn, which gives more of a couch potato effect. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I'm going to order a magnifying glass now so I can magnify them, unless you know of a better way, with these modern times haha?

Bud rot was the reason I think that I was advised to chop them? I was told to cut my losses now.

I'm expecting a better year next year, as I've learnt so much and it's very addictive isn't it.

Well, i stupidly flushed her yesterday so I'm going to give it a day or so to dry a bit, then I'll have to start feeding her again, outdoor growing is definitely not the way forward unless I start earlier.

I'll check under the leaf, thanks.

You won't defeat the BR. I'm sorry. Take what you can now.
You could use some baking soda (1 teaspoon per qt/2 liter) in a spray bottle. It's to alkaline for mold to survive, and spray it on every surface top and bottom. It works for powdery mildew in my vegetable garden. I don't know if it will work any better than the bud washes some people do. Use the search tool for specific combinations of what others have done. Good luck and nice grow.

You won't defeat the BR. I'm sorry. Take what you can now.
You could use some baking soda (1 teaspoon per qt/2 liter) in a spray bottle. It's to alkaline for mold to survive, and spray it on every surface top and bottom. It works for powdery mildew in my vegetable garden. I don't know if it will work any better than the bud washes some people do. Use the search tool for specific combinations of what others have done. Good luck and nice grow.

So do you reckon I'm best harvesting what I can salvage now and cutting my losses? I'd rather salvage something rather than lose it all?

I know exactly where I went wrong this year. Closing the pvc doors was a schoolboy error. The condensation was far too high.

Most people don’t realize this but building codes require that roofs have proper ventilation, the reason for this is in a dwelling unit moisture in the form of water vapor comes out of the ground too, the vents are to keep attic moisture in check and to prevent mold, maybe next year try waterproof liner under pvc tent and also use sulfur in veg. Sulfur acts as a preventative for powdery mildew.

A jeweler's loupe is my most used tool. There is a proper way to check trichs. You want the trichs to be between the light source and the lens, so you are checking the light transmitted by the trichs. Think of a microscope with a stage on which there is a sample. Two ways of observing your sample. One with the light below the stage pointing up through, and one where the light is above the stage and reflecting off the sample. For bugs, use reflected light. For ripeness, use transmitted.

A jeweler's loupe is my most used tool. There is a proper way to check trichs. You want the trichs to be between the light source and the lens, so you are checking the light transmitted by the trichs. Think of a microscope with a stage on which there is a sample. Two ways of observing your sample. One with the light below the stage pointing up through, and one where the light is above the stage and reflecting off the sample. For bugs, use reflected light. For ripeness, use transmitted.

This is something I'm definitely going to need to research. First harvest, so very ùnsure on checking etc. I'll research the things you mentioned, thanks for the advice.

So do you reckon I'm best harvesting what I can salvage now and cutting my losses? I'd rather salvage something rather than lose it all?

I know exactly where I went wrong this year. Closing the pvc doors was a schoolboy error. The condensation was far too high.
Take the chance, the environment is flooded with spores right now. Does not mean they will flourish unless the right conditions arise, which they will in your cure most likely. A post harvest bud wash is definitely advisable. If you use the baking soda mixture try not to spray anywhere other than the flowers. If a lot of that gets in your soil, if your still letting it go, it will cause issues so block as much as you can from reaching the roots. Dont crank the spray handle like The Hulk, but get them as saturated as possible. Then give it loads of ventilation, even a hairdryer no heat of course to push in air.
This is only my anecdotal opinion ok. There are PhD professionals here that can advise you better than I can, although my confidence has been more positive since seeking out help here.

Thank you. I'm going to order a magnifying glass now so I can magnify them, unless you know of a better way, with these modern times haha?

Bud rot was the reason I think that I was advised to chop them? I was told to cut my losses now.

I'm expecting a better year next year, as I've learnt so much and it's very addictive isn't it.
Yes thats good advice. Maybe worth flushing one and not others and see the difference for yourself on future grows. However, if you cure correctly, taste and smell are significantly increased.
I use 30-60 magnification, its ok and works. In regards to bud rot make sure you have sufficient air circulation, I've been there, and its grim losing a few ounce on rot.

Back
Top Bottom