Is it OK to cut 'excess' roots off

Froglips

Of the bottom of a bucket.

I have one of those General Hydroponics drip bucket systems for my mammy, but I know eventually the roots will be hanging down into the water in the bottom bucket 24/7. Not good!

So, is it OK to trim off any and all roots that come through the holes in the top bucket down into the bottom bucket?

Thank you!

Sure, don't cut over half though.
Umm why is it not good for the roots to get all the way to the bottom?
I have always let my roots grow, never had a problem.

Sure, don't cut over half though.
Umm why is it not good for the roots to get all the way to the bottom?
I have always let my roots grow, never had a problem.

Really? I just thought it would be counter productive to have at least 1/3 or more of the roots sitting in water/nutes 24/7. I also thought this causes roots to rot, breads nasty critters, and causes algae.

If I am wrong, then I will not worry about it then. You have NEVER had issues like that?

Thanks.

Nope, I add in some enzymes that break down the dead roots in the res so the plant can eat that too. If you keep your res temp down, you won't have any off them problems.

There are problems that can always occur but if you keep your res clean regularly you shouldn`t have to worrie. You will notice a small explosion of growth once the roots reach the res. I did in my second grow.
Also if you DO decide to trim the roots be careful. Trimming roots is a technique used in bonsai. It will make some plants boast interesting growth features like stunting, thickening stems/branches, and twisting in some cases. Bonsai is a good practice and I have seen some very interesting Bonsai mothers.
Hope your grow goes well. Whats the mothers strain BTW?

There are problems that can always occur but if you keep your res clean regularly you shouldn`t have to worrie. You will notice a small explosion of growth once the roots reach the res. I did in my second grow.
Also if you DO decide to trim the roots be careful. Trimming roots is a technique used in bonsai. It will make some plants boast interesting growth features like stunting, thickening stems/branches, and twisting in some cases. Bonsai is a good practice and I have seen some very interesting Bonsai mothers.
Hope your grow goes well. Whats the mothers strain BTW?

No idea. I had to use some old bag seeds I just had laying around.

No idea. I had to use some old bag seeds I just had laying around.

just run down to the pet store and grab an airpump and an airstone. That should not only solve the problem but make your system better. Now its good for the roots. I have the same system.

just run down to the pet store and grab an airpump and an airstone. That should not only solve the problem but make your system better. Now its good for the roots. I have the same system.

Been using air/air stones since I brought the system home. Upgraded from a single output air pump to a quad output air pump... And I would like to pump some directly into the buckets, but I fear this will dry the roots out before the next watering cycle.

I've never trimmed roots, ever. I am using the same General Hydro. I did drill extra holes in the top bucket so that roots have more room to go. I change water/nutes every 7 days and usually have to add a gallon at about day 4. I also wipe clean the bottom bucket when I change the water/nutes.

The roots in a DWC system are suppose to be in the water. I would think at harvest some where around 95% of my roots have been submerged their whole life.

If your roots are getting slimey while in the water, then you have problems. What is the water temp? What is the pH, and does it stay at a normal changing level or do you figget with it everyday?

Prairie

Back
Top Bottom