Is it ok to dry in low RH?

Sofa King

I’m in Canada and the RH is like 25% right now. I have a couple plants coming down in a week and I’m worried about drying to fast. Is this an issue for me? Can I try to dry in a box or something and the bud will raise the rh? I will cure with Boveda once the bud is dry but it seems ppl say the bud tastes bad if it drys to quick? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

curing is an art unto itself, and your success at this stage is responsible for 1/2 of the potency and most of the taste and all of the smoothness of the smoke. Growing is the easy part, curing correctly is actually hard. A box will help, as will raising the RH in the area while you are drying, if you can. Once you get the bud down to 59RH, curing is done. There is no way to start it again, and even sitting in a jar with a 62 Boveda will not help. It is imperative to slowly bring the product down into the low 60s and keep it there as long as you wish to continue the cure. If your buds dry in 2 or 3 days, so be it... but get them in a jar or in a paper bag quickly so you can start checking the RH... once you get it below 70RH mold is no longer an issue, and then you can alternate between bags and jar to slowly get it down in the curing range. It takes me days to get my bud down from 70 to 65, and then I try to jar it, and by burping the jars I try to get it to stabilize at 62 with a Boveda for a month or better. For long term storage, I put a Boveda 58 in there to get it out of the curing range and further reduce the chances of mold.
That is just one method though... this time I am going to experiment with the Low and Slow refrigerator method that has been talked about lately on this forum. Good luck, and enjoy all the test buds!

curing is an art unto itself, and your success at this stage is responsible for 1/2 of the potency and most of the taste and all of the smoothness of the smoke. Growing is the easy part, curing correctly is actually hard. A box will help, as will raising the RH in the area while you are drying, if you can. Once you get the bud down to 59RH, curing is done. There is no way to start it again, and even sitting in a jar with a 62 Boveda will not help. It is imperative to slowly bring the product down into the low 60s and keep it there as long as you wish to continue the cure. If your buds dry in 2 or 3 days, so be it... but get them in a jar or in a paper bag quickly so you can start checking the RH... once you get it below 70RH mold is no longer an issue, and then you can alternate between bags and jar to slowly get it down in the curing range. It takes me days to get my bud down from 70 to 65, and then I try to jar it, and by burping the jars I try to get it to stabilize at 62 with a Boveda for a month or better. For long term storage, I put a Boveda 58 in there to get it out of the curing range and further reduce the chances of mold.
That is just one method though... this time I am going to experiment with the Low and Slow refrigerator method that has been talked about lately on this forum. Good luck, and enjoy all the test buds!

Thanks! I have read countless hours on the curing method and have a game plan. I was worried about the initial dry being too quick. It is what it is I guess so I will make sure I get a good cure even if it’s only a couple day dry

Back
Top Bottom