Can Boveda save bone-dry buds?

SammyJankis

If Boveda can save bone-dry buds is it harmfull for the terps? I'm on my 2nd grow ever and last time I bagged the buds for curing too wet and they got misformed, flattened by other buds etc.
So I was thinking maybe it would be better for me to let it dry in 50% RH for like 14 days to be totally sure it is dry and then put it in a Grove bag or with Boveda packs and let it cure for like a month after that!? I am I om to something?

Boveda packs can be handy for long term storage to maintain RH. If you dry too low too quick the processes that happen during curing will stop and you can't restart it. Pretty sure the rule is to not let the bud get below 54%. If I'm remembering correctly. If the buds are a little dry some stems in the jar can help reintroduce some moisture.

If Boveda can save bone-dry buds is it harmfull for the terps? I'm on my 2nd grow ever and last time I bagged the buds for curing too wet and they got misformed, flattened by other buds etc.
So I was thinking maybe it would be better for me to let it dry in 50% RH for like 14 days to be totally sure it is dry and then put it in a Grove bag or with Boveda packs and let it cure for like a month after that!? I am I om to something?
Bodeva won’t help in that situation I don’t think. You want to raise the RH. Well I think you do lol.

I got a tip from @Carcass

Put a fresh scrunched canna leaf into your jar. It will increase the humidity. Once it hits your desired RH take the leaf out.

Literally just happened to me. My Runtz Muffin was too low. Did the leaf trick and it’s now sitting at 64%.

I don't know if this will be of any help...but a salt/water mixture is 75% RH...maybe you could put your jars in a larger bag with a small container of salt/water?
Just my thoughts...

let it dry in 50% RH for like 14 days to be totally sure it is dry
I am I om to something?

No. it'll be too dry, and you will have missed the cure window...in fact, if it's bone dry, you can skip the cure altogether, because it won't do anything, even if you add moisture.

For the weed to cure properly, there needs to be some moisture in the jar- no moisture, no cure.
Mine usually go in to the jars at around 68-70%, and then I burp them down to 62%- this takes 3 weeks or so, and the weed is curing slowly as the rh slowly gets lower- when they reach 62%, I'll drop a Boveda 62
in the jar and call it good- it's smokable at this point, but will taste a little better if you wait another month or 2 to smoke it...
Bovedas won't re-hydrate your weed, that's not what they're made for.

No. it'll be too dry, and you will have missed the cure window...in fact, if it's bone dry, you can skip the cure altogether, because it won't do anything, even if you add moisture.
Adding moisture might make it less harsh potentially, though doubt it be an extreme difference, and yeah once too low the cure stops and won't restart.

Good point, Dwight- re-hydrating will make it smoke a bit better, easier on the lungs, and it also makes the weed easier to work with (grinding, rolling joints, etc.)
Some of my older stock of weed has gotten so dry that it just crumbles into dust if I try to grind it- if I were short on weed, I'd re-hydrate it, but now, I just use that stuff for edibles.
Even with a Boveda in there, weed will still get too dry after 2 or 3 years in the jar... periodic re-hydration would keep it from doing that, But, even knowing this, I still don't do it..out of sight, out of mind, I guess...

If Boveda can save bone-dry buds is it harmfull for the terps?
A Boveda or any other quality humidity pack will not save bone-dry buds. If the buds get bone-dry it is all over, done for, no-mas. As the other are saying once that bone-dry stage is reached there is no going back.

.... last time I bagged the buds for curing too wet and they got misformed, flattened by other buds etc.
I am familiar with that problem. What are you bagging the buds in? I dry in brown paper grocery bags and for the first couple of days will stir up the harvest by hand to keep the buds from settling on each other and doing that. After doing that a few times they can be fluffed up every couple of days. Not a big deal if there are some flattened buds since it will not affect the quality of the smoke, etc.

The little tricks like using Boveda packs, pieces of fan leaves or pieces of stems are not meant to bring over dried buds back. They are methods that are used to control how fast the harvest dries down to the stage where the cure can be controlled.

maybe it would be better for me to let it dry in 50% RH for like 14 days to be totally sure it is dry and then put it in a Grove bag or with Boveda packs and let it cure for like a month after that!?
Most likely by the time it gets to 50% it is already dry enough that it will not come back. Sticking Boveda or other brand of humidity packs in will not start up the cure. Some growers here have posted msgs that they feel that the cure starts the day the drying starts.

Read up on the 'low and slow' drying method where the paper bag of buds is put into a refrigerator. Some are working on methods that the harvest is put into jars soon after and the grower then controls the cure by how often and for how long the jars are opened.

I don't know if this will be of any help...but a salt/water mixture is 75% RH...
Which is what a Boveda pack is. They are a super saturated salt and water solution with a food grade thickener added. Then that is inside some sort of semi-permeable membrane and all of it inside a paper wrapper. It is really interesting how it all works.

I think if it gets past 50% then probably not going to actually cure at least not properly.

I just finished jarring up 22 ounces today after 21 days drying at 60⁰ and 60% humidity, everything in jars so far is 60 to 64% humidity.
I also just cracked open a jar of Super Critical Bud thats been curing for just shy of 3 years.
Smelled like a candy store, super sticky gooey, sublime.
I put two to three Boveda packs in long cure jars.

20230310_134856.jpg

20230318_151642.jpg

Super Critical Bud.

20230324_144822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom