Is something eating her?

Canachris

She's 10 days old and has lost the ability to stand. She's had a fan on her from day 1. it started this morning , her stalk at the very bottom where it meets the soil it looks weird my eyes are bad an I can't really tell what's going on it almost looks like it's been eaten or its raw. any insight appreciated

20220627_183240.jpg

20220627_183211.jpg

My very first thought was "damping off' disease but that thought only lasted a second or two. 'Damping off' almost always will hit extremely young seedlings during their first true leaf stage. As far as I can tell, plants that have started to develop a stronger stem also have a stronger bark or surface on the stem which helps resist the fungus that causes the 'damping off' disease.

She's 10 days old and has lost the ability to stand.
Not every plant will grow a straight stem in its seedling stage. When I see seedlings bending over a small bit it will appear to be normal growth to me. Some of the bend will straighten out before long but not always all of it.

Does the stalk look damaged tho, I can't focus on it and it distorts if I enlarge the pic
Sometimes 'less is more'. There is a good chance that you have gotten as close as you could for the photograph. If you back up a bit, take the photo and then enlarge it might not distort. As in the 'less' is the backing away from the "close-up photo" before taking the picture and the 'more' is more opportunity to work with the enlarging.;) It is worth trying with your camera or phone-camera.

What it looks like to me is the area that separates the root portion from the above ground portion of the young plant. I can see the line where both the root and the top part are visible. It is not something to worry about and when you next transplant just bury it a small amount deeper if you want.

The young plant is looking good in the photo in msg #5. So far so good.

My very first thought was "damping off' disease but that thought only lasted a second or two. 'Damping off' almost always will hit extremely young seedlings during their first true leaf stage. As far as I can tell, plants that have started to develop a stronger stem also have a stronger bark or surface on the stem which helps resist the fungus that causes the 'damping off' disease.

Not every plant will grow a straight stem in its seedling stage. When I see seedlings bending over a small bit it will appear to be normal growth to me. Some of the bend will straighten out before long but not always all of it.

Sometimes 'less is more'. There is a good chance that you have gotten as close as you could for the photograph. If you back up a bit, take the photo and then enlarge it might not distort. As in the 'less' is the backing away from the "close-up photo" before taking the picture and the 'more' is more opportunity to work with the enlarging.;) It is worth trying with your camera or phone-camera.

What it looks like to me is the area that separates the root portion from the above ground portion of the young plant. I can see the line where both the root and the top part are visible. It is not something to worry about and when you next transplant just bury it a small amount deeper if you want.

The young plant is looking good in the photo in msg #5. So far so good.
Thank you, I was not sure if I should bury her deeper or try and keep that spot above the soil. I like the deeper idea

Last night before lights out I put her cup in a cup of soil and water I had steeping and let the capillary action work. I think she liked it

20220629_051157.jpg

20220629_051032.jpg

20220629_051112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom