Is there a maximum potency for MCT oil-based tinctures?

BoonkyBoy

420 Member
I have been having an apparent slight problem with making very high potency MCT oil-based Cannabis tinctures. My methods are:

1. Extract 30g of weed using QWET method (500ml ethyl alcohol, extract for 3 10-minute periods in freezer with 1 minute gentle swirl between periods.)

2. Evaporate off alcohol on hotplate until about 4 to 6 ml Cannabis oil left.

3. Dilute the FECO into 60ml MCT oil. Resultant tincture is perfectly clear.

The apparent problem:
After about a week, I notice little floating "globules" in the tincture. Shaking the vial breaks them up, but not completely.
My main concern is that this is some sort of contamination, ie. fungal or bacterial growth. This seems unlikely to me since my wife has a jar of Coconut oil on the counter which has been sitting at room temperature for months with no apparent contamination growth.

A more likely possibility is that there is a maximum solubility of FECO into MCT oil and even though I managed to dissolve all the FSCO into the MCT initially, it eventually just precipitated out.

Can anybody offer any thoughts on this?
Thanks.
--JN

this has sat unanswered for a few days now… I‘m going to take a stab at it.…. as per usual anyone feel free to jump in if I step out of bounds

you started stripping with alcohol which renders it down to CCO or RSO (Rick Simpson oil) so I guess it’s not a FECO at first, or until the MCT oil is added…. Anywho IIRC- a thru FECO is done by extracting directly into a carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil etc.

next the big thing I noticed was no mention of decarb…. you can decarb before you extract or after you extract… Excluding those with magic butter machines I think most peeps go with decarb before the extraction route. It sounds crazy to bake your weed before using it but yeppers that‘s what activates it and you know ithat step is done before proceeding. Not sure I can even quote time specs for decarb but it’s like 240 Farenheit for 90 minutes or some such bs…. you can sniff that out by web searching for GW Pharma & decarb time

Defs not an expert but I would think 30 g’s washed and cooked down to 5 or 6 mil of concentrated cannabis oil diluted into 60 ml of mct oil should have some kick. Kinda suspect globules formed because the liquids were at different temps and viscosity’s

for next time maybe try web search on master wu’s green dragon, it’s an easier tincture to make, just decarb and then wash the trichs a few cycles.

Not sure about ethyl alcohol…. Imho the best extractions are done with high proof, grain alcohol…. booze made specifically for human consumption… remember to eat a meal or fatty snack before taking tinctures or edibles… holding the tincture in your mouth / under your tongue for a few minutes before swallowing can help too…

I wouldn’t think THC precipitated out, maybe down but not out… or perhaps too diluted IDK… I know with the green dragon tinctures I make it seems the THC particles will precipitate to the bottom of the mason jar, it needs to be shaken thoroughly before dosing….

that’s all I’ve got- best of luck to you!!!

I'm a little confused.

You say: "you started stripping with alcohol which renders it down to CCO or RSO (Rick Simpson oil) so I guess it’s not a FECO at first, or until the MCT oil is added…. Anywho IIRC- a thru FECO is done by extracting directly into a carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil etc."

I used the QWET method of extracting with ethyl alcohol. I then evaporated off the alcohol until I got 6 to 7 ml of a dark oily substance that I thought was FECO. Not RSO. What am I getting wrong here.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a little confused.

You say: "you started stripping with alcohol which renders it down to CCO or RSO (Rick Simpson oil) so I guess it’s not a FECO at first, or until the MCT oil is added…. Anywho IIRC- a thru FECO is done by extracting directly into a carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil etc."

I used the QWET method of extracting with ethyl alcohol. I then evaporated off the alcohol until I got 6 to 7 ml of a dark oily substance that I thought was FECO. Not RSO. What am I getting wrong here.

Thanks for your reply.
FECO is generally referring to extracting directly into an oil like olive or coconut but when you extracated with alcohol, and then evaporated the alcohol, that left you with CCO/RSO, or the pure cannabinoids without any carrier or plant material included.

You can then add some thing like olive oil if you wanted to cut it with something to reduce per ml potency or make it more workable/pourable, but you're starting with the pure thing at first and only add oil for some other purpose tother than extracting the cannabinoids.

Back
Top Bottom