Is there a way to quiet down a scrubber or control its voltage like a dimmer?

KbCobra

I have a 600CFM scrubber that is too loud and I can hear it too much in the next room. Is there a way to make it quieter or run at only 50% or dim it like a cieling fan? It's not vibration but the suction sound from the fan, unfortunately in this room I have no where to vent it to and it's close to my living room and front door, just trying to lighten the smell before it reaches the front door area.

Any suggestions?
Snapchat-9093398286486334197.jpg

I read a few hours ago they make inline fans with built in fan controllers, unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought this
Snapchat-8632600946920966716.jpg

Just Google "in-line fan speed controller". They're around $20-$25 but worth it.

If there is anyway possible to vent it to the outside, attick, crawl space, etc. you can turn the speed (noise) way down to almost nothing.

Also you could buy one of the sound muffling boxes. It's pretty much a box that your fan sits in. Another item you could have a look at is an Ona Block if it is the smell you're trying to kill these little guys work wonders.

Lower CFM's are better for dwell time in the activated carbon. If your fan is generating too many CFM's the odorous air is passing through the carbon too quickly. Lower CFM's also = less noise.

I've heard the larger diameter fans are more quiet, especially when dialed down. So if you have space for it, get a 6 or 8 inch fan rated for twice the CFM you need, then dial it down to 50%. Some fans when dialed down can create a different hum that may be just as loud tho.

I have a related question. I hooked my speed controller for my 4 inch inline up to a watt meter to see what it pulled at different speeds. For some reason, my fan pulled very few watts on the low-medium scale, then jumps dramatically on the high end. I'm wondering whether this is how a dialed down fan is supposed to operate, or if the dial is inaccurate and "medium" is actually running a lot weaker than 50% CFM.

Back
Top Bottom