Is This Okay Soil?

tgadfgadgf

For the first time I'm doing a hydro set up. I want to do a soil set up as well so that I could learn both methods. I bought this just to experiment with soil. Do you think this soil is good or should I take it back and get something else? Thanks for your help anyone.

s11.jpg

Sounds good to me. It's a Foxfarm product. Most people seem to favor their Ocean Forest product though. This doesn't have the ocean creatures, peat moss, or sandy loam, so may be a more economical solution. Do you have a small quantity of sand and / or perlite to add to assure airiness?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Happy Frog® Potting Soil
Outrageous Organics from the Humboldt Nation
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Your potted plants deserve the best. Their roots can't seek out nutrients in the ground, so you have to bring it to them. That's why Happy Frog® Potting Soil is alive with beneficial microbes and fungi that help break down organic matter and feed the plant roots. Between the earthworm castings, the bat guano, and the composted forest humus, your container plants have never felt so good. And don't worry–FoxFarm uses only the highest quality, premium ingredients–no cheap fillers, no topsoil, no sludge. Never. We promise.

Garden tip: Happy Frog® Potting Soil is perfect for container gardens. Whether you're growing a ficus in the dining room, a geranium on the patio, or a lemon tree on the deck, use our Potting Soil full strength in your containers. For a spectacular harvest, add our Peace of Mind® Fruit & Flower Fertilizer. Then sit back and enjoy the results.

Embrace the Vitality of Happy Frog!
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]

Sounds good to me. It's a Foxfarm product. Most people seem to favor their Ocean Forest product though. This doesn't have the ocean creatures, peat moss, or sandy loam, so may be a more economical solution. Do you have a small quantity of sand and / or perlite to add to assure airiness?

Thanks Freak. No I don' have a small quanity of sand or perlite to add. Do you think they would have perlite at Walmart or Home Depot? I guess if I do get the perlite I should mix it in with the soil?

Both may have it. It's a pretty common gardening item. Here's a quote from RooRman:

You can play with the amounts, which is the nice thing about making your own mix. This should get you started:

10-20% Perlite: for added drainage and soil aeration. Use closer to 20% for flowering mixes.

10-30% Worm Castings: for nitrogen, added micronutrients and aeration.

1-2% Dolomite lime: Pro-Mix BX Seed and Clone has this already added! So I don't add it. Basic Pro-Mix, to my knowledge, does not. Dolomite lime helps stabilize the pH of the soil. Pro-Mix is mainly peat and as the peat breaks down the soil gets more acidic. Dolomite lime is used to combat this natural lowering of the pH.

2-4% Kelp meal and/or Guano: For additional macro/micornutrients.

Get some coco coir. Make it 1/3 of your entire mix. This will make it nearly impossible to over-water your plants. I now consider it a required item in my garden.

*edit - I also agree on the perlite. 1/3 of my mix is perlite, 1/3 coco coir, and 1/3 a mix of two types of Pro-Mix. The perlite helps enormously.

Personally I think it's pretty hard to overdo perlite. It's 1/3 of my mix right now in addition to what the Pro-Mix contains, and yet my drainage seems perfect.

Hey Klep420 I called my hydro store and they have the promix their. I will stop by and pick up some promix. You said mix 50/50 right? This will be my first time experimenting with soil.

That Happy Frog tends to be better for the younger ladies. Like through most of your vegitative state. I like to switch to the Ocean Mix by Fox Farm or to the ProMix SunShine Mix.

Back
Top Bottom