Issue that’s getting worse

Get some Cal mag and put in don't do what I did and feed extra micro didn't work for me at all I only feed about 30% of what they recommend not saying for you to drop down just keep doing what your doing but add calmag
If your dwc or something like that check out riffleman he runs advanced to and adds calmag with excellent results and he only runs like 40% of recommended

Check out Emily's egg shell Cal mag potion I haven't used it yet but it's on deck in a old advanced calmag bottle

Hiya buddy first thing you said there was nutes are fine pH is fine. Then said run off was really high. That means nutes aren't fine. Run off should be roughly the same as what goes in. If the ppm is too high then almost guaranteed the pH is off too. Usually go hand in hand cos one causes the other.

For ph I am 5.7-5.8 going in. And 6.0 coming out, consistently across all plants. It never goes outside that. I use a high quality ph tester. And also use a color dropper setup as a back up, to ensure readings are correct.

My dilemma with run off is. I can feed and get say 700ppm runoff. And then feed at 900ppm and I’ll get a runoff of like 2400. That’s what has stopped me going full strength on my nutrients. It doesn’t make sense me how that could jump so high. And everyone says over 2000ppm will cause problems. So I’m checking ph. And watching ppm, and not wanting to add even more nutrients. Which I felt would exacerbate an issue.

Right now I've never used that stuff but I checked the site and it basically says it has all the water retention/aireation qualities of the Coco that I do use.
The rising ppm thing in Coco comes from not feeding often enough and not watering to run off. Does that sound about right? Should be feeding to run off every day. 700-900ppm is about the right strength.

Right now I've never used that stuff but I checked the site and it basically says it has all the water retention/aireation qualities of the Coco that I do use.
The rising ppm thing in Coco comes from not feeding often enough and not watering to run off. Does that sound about right? Should be feeding to run off every day. 700-900ppm is about the right strength.

I was at 900 ppm(3/4 strength) since week 3 veg. I water once my pots are “pillow” light. And I do water to runoff every time. I get about 20% runoff. From everything I know, watering promix to saturation every day, would lead to issues.

From saturated to dry, it takes 4 days. Basically I have it all calculated down to when my medium has about 800 mL of liquid left in it , before watering. Aside from my calcium deficiency on 2 of 4 plants. I’ve had some very healthy vigourous growth and good colouring throughout. 2 plants look beautiful, and are at peak health. And are flowering like crazy.

Some say add cal mag, some say don’t. The support people at advanced nutrients tell me to not add it. And to go full strength, which is about 1300 ppm. They said the micro has all I need for calcium.

That's your issue mate I'm tellin ya. That stuffs got more than enough drainage to water every day. By not doing so your causing the nutes to build up in the pot and give you hot soil syndrome.
Soil is the only media that should be left to dry out. Doing it in any other media will cause exactly what's happening to you. Or do you think I just had a really lucky guess at your watering technique lol. Can add all the nutes you want it won't help. And for future reference they only need around 100ppm per week of veg. 900 is way to hot for a tiddler. Not an exact science but it's there about. I grow in a tiny, sensitive Res so can see exactly how much they're taking each day. If it's not needed then it's not only wasting nutes but almost garunteed to give you jip.

That's your issue mate I'm tellin ya. That stuffs got more than enough drainage to water every day. By not doing so your causing the nutes to build up in the pot and give you hot soil syndrome.
Soil is the only media that should be left to dry out. Doing it in any other media will cause exactly what's happening to you. Or do you think I just had a really lucky guess at your watering technique lol. Can add all the nutes you want it won't help. And for future reference they only need around 100ppm per week of veg. 900 is way to hot for a tiddler. Not an exact science but it's there about. I grow in a tiny, sensitive Res so can see exactly how much they're taking each day. If it's not needed then it's not only wasting nutes but almost garunteed to give you jip.

That’s interesting. Cause I’ve been told over and over not to overwater. And that the wet/dry cycle is important to ensure root health. And my inclination was to stay low on nute strength. But people and Advanced nutrients are saying to go full strength.

My watering technique was based on repeated research from other promix users, and promix themselves.

So I’m either creating a calcium lockout from too much ppm on feedings. Or seeing a shortfall on calcium, because I’m not feeding enough.

It’s amazing to me, that growing has such a big “grey” area. In which I can get stuck in, and not know what to do.

Person A “go left or your plants dies”

Person B “go right or your plant dies”

Stay in the middle? Haha

That’s interesting. Cause I’ve been told over and over not to overwater. And that the wet/dry cycle is important to ensure root health. And my inclination was to stay low on nute strength. But people and Advanced nutrients are saying to go full strength.

My watering technique was based on repeated research from other promix users, and promix themselves.

So I’m either creating a calcium lockout from too much ppm on feedings. Or seeing a shortfall on calcium, because I’m not feeding enough.

It’s amazing to me, that growing has such a big “grey” area. In which I can get stuck in, and not know what to do.

Person A “go left or your plants dies”

Person B “go right or your plant dies”

Stay in the middle? Haha
Yeah it's a bit of a mine field mate. If the promix users are saying not every day then they'll know better than me cos I'm a coco guy but I'd still definitely say do it more often. The thing to remember about watering is that there's no such thing as too much water. Otherwise Dwc wouldn't exist. The problems arise from a lack of oxygen which is caused by poor drainage and/or too dense a media. You don't have that issue so shouldn't get any side effects from it.
And above all else, never ever ever ever ever listen to a single word nutrient companies tell you. They know absolutely sweet fuck all and are just after your money. Can grow a pounder on less than 1000ppm without deficiencies. How can a 5oz plant possibly need like 50% more ? Some of them say to feed seedlings more than what I feed pounders. Its insanity.
I don't give them a single thing untill at least a week old and that s starting in root riots and rockwools so there's no nutes at all in the media.

I kind agree with Barney on the don't believe what they tell you there if they get you running full strength instead of 30 to 50 they can sell twice as much
I use 1oz to 5gal. Of GMB and have a Cal mag issue once in awhile but when I tried to push to hard they recommend 2.6 Oz's to 5 gal and I was up to 2oz to 5 gal and my weed tasted like shit thought I lost the strain cause I just kept cloning it out and I got tight on money couldn't afford another 3 bottles and cut way back the last 4 weeks on some in flower and some babies coming up and was very surprised by how little they would live on and still kick ass growth wise and the flavor was dam good

Yea their is a thousand ways to grow this everybody has there own and kick ass just find someone doing what your doing and read there journals is tough man it's easier picking medicine for the kids than the plants

All these things are also why I usually grow full hydro. Just follow the numbers on the sticks like a monkey and it's literally impossible for anything to go wrong

I may end up going that route. What’s the time expenditure like? Less time spent working on them then soil based? I’m finding multiple plants with different needs for feeding, has me spending much more time than I thought I would!

I may end up going that route. What’s the time expenditure like? Less time spent working on them then soil based? I’m finding multiple plants with different needs for feeding, has me spending much more time than I thought I would!
Yeah mate hydros a doddle. Just fill the Res and check it every couple days. Few drops of pH down once or twice a week. Res change every 10 days. Best not to run different strains from the same Res though. Can go wrong from time to time if you get vastly different feeders.
I've been growing in pots all year due to various complications and I hate it. Hydros much easier. The yields are incomparable too. My record for an auto in Coco is 4oz on the button. Same strain in hydro got me 22 lol.

Yeah mate hydros a doddle. Just fill the Res and check it every couple days. Few drops of pH down once or twice a week. Res change every 10 days. Best not to run different strains from the same Res though. Can go wrong from time to time if you get vastly different feeders.
I've been growing in pots all year due to various complications and I hate it. Hydros much easier. The yields are incomparable too. My record for an auto in Coco is 4oz on the button. Same strain in hydro got me 22 lol.

Sounds like something I’ll check into. I thought it would be way more difficult for some reason. Thanks for your input:)

The plant is only capable of sucking up certain nutrients out of the leaves, and we call these the mobile elements. Typically these will affect the lowest oldest leaves and then the effects will move up the trunk as the problem progresses. Semi mobile elements, like magnesium can show problems all over the plant, but generally will start with the lower growth. Non mobile elements like calcium can not be taken from older leaves. If it isnt available to the plant when it needs it, the symptoms show up in the new growth, where it was needed at the time and could not be found.
Somehow we have to put all of these clues together to figure out what the plant needs, or in this case when the symptoms do not follow the normal plant reactions to deficiencies, what is attacking the plant. Is it mold, fungus or pest. More pictures should help us determine what we are seeing.
Always teaching.......thanks that just saved me a bunch of reading!

Sounds like something I’ll check into. I thought it would be way more difficult for some reason. Thanks for your input:)
Nah people think it's technical but it's just following numbers on sticks like a monkey mate. Soil growing is way more technical and you gotta know so much more to keep them happy.

Back
Top Bottom