It might just work: Any thoughts?

Hey all - I've had this crazy idea and I'm gonna give it a go

I only have a small grow space, 2'x2'x4' and while it's fine for cuttings/SOG it means I have to grow a mother first
Tried autos (too tall) and LST (takes up too much space, and means I can only grow one at a time) - hmm

So I got thinking. We've all seen LST round the rim of the pot which reduces height a bit but how about this for an idea:

I'm gonna LST round the pot (2L, coco) but then put a wire spiral which goes round again and upwards back towards the centre of the pot, with the spiral leaving enough space for the bottom buds to grow too. I figure the early buds will get more time to grow and I'll still get a central top cola

I've got separate blue and red LED's so could control stretch as desired

Should look like a pyramid of buds at the end, like lights on a christmas tree

I will put up a journal once I've got started - I will be trying it on Lemon Kush and Strawberry Gum (autos) and if it works, I could do four at a time with crazy yields

Watch this space...

Hey all - I've had this crazy idea and I'm gonna give it a go

I only have a small grow space, 2'x2'x4' and while it's fine for cuttings/SOG it means I have to grow a mother first
Tried autos (too tall) and LST (takes up too much space, and means I can only grow one at a time) - hmm

So I got thinking. We've all seen LST round the rim of the pot which reduces height a bit but how about this for an idea:

I'm gonna LST round the pot (2L, coco) but then put a wire spiral which goes round again and upwards back towards the centre of the pot, with the spiral leaving enough space for the bottom buds to grow too. I figure the early buds will get more time to grow and I'll still get a central top cola

I've got separate blue and red LED's so could control stretch as desired

Should look like a pyramid of buds at the end, like lights on a christmas tree

I will put up a journal once I've got started - I will be trying it on Lemon Kush and Strawberry Gum (autos) and if it works, I could do four at a time with crazy yields

Watch this space...
Hey @Growings Hope you are well my friend.
Sounds interesting. But im not 100% sure of configuration your aiming for.
Got a diagram in mind.
Bill

Hey @Growings Hope you are well my friend.
Sounds interesting. But im not 100% sure of configuration your aiming for.
Got a diagram in mind.
Bill
Hey Bill - can't do a diagram, but imagine a spiral pyramid with main cola sat on top
100% of bud sites exposed to light within the confines of the pot diameter is the idea

Hey Bill - can't do a diagram, but imagine a spiral pyramid with main cola sat on top
100% of bud sites exposed to light within the confines of the pot diameter is the idea
Sounds good I can't wait to see a giant haul. :thumb:
Bill

Low stress spiral training. It's functional

circular trainig.jpg

low stress spiral training.jpg

Spiral training.png

Lemon Kush in today - Spot on @skirk

CIMG1972.JPG
CIMG1975.JPG

Just wish I had room for bigger pots, but I reckon I'll get away with it using autos
Next lot of seeds will Indica for cutting/SOG in 3L pots
I've tried tomato baskets. But never anything like that. :thumb:
Hope it works well for you.
Bill

I’m thinking your trying to go Bonsai/Topiary? That’s what I’m gathering from your post anyways. My wife is currently trying this route with an unknown bag seed girl that’s shes kept in veg for over 100 days now. She keeps it far from full spectrum light that it shares with several other plants so the trunk of the plant still looks juvenile so it makes it much more “pliable” and bendable. The one thing I’ve noticed with her plant is it is very hard to determine where to bend and train to get the “shape” you are wanting to achieve. It constantly wants to grow upwards and in order to achieve that design you are looking for you may sacrifice more bud sites to achieve. Again this is my opinion and I’m slightly experienced in this type of training as I’m limited on space also. So here my opinion on what you should do, top, top, top. Your first top will double your bud sites, topping the already topped beaches will double that and so on. Keep the main branches tied down to the point where it looks like a 3 dimensional Menorah if you know what that is. She has created over 16 main branches as a result and continues to make more as shes on no hurry to flower. I hope this is not to confusing for you and would be happy to elaborate deeper

I’m thinking your trying to go Bonsai/Topiary? That’s what I’m gathering from your post anyways. My wife is currently trying this route with an unknown bag seed girl that’s shes kept in veg for over 100 days now. She keeps it far from full spectrum light that it shares with several other plants so the trunk of the plant still looks juvenile so it makes it much more “pliable” and bendable. The one thing I’ve noticed with her plant is it is very hard to determine where to bend and train to get the “shape” you are wanting to achieve. It constantly wants to grow upwards and in order to achieve that design you are looking for you may sacrifice more bud sites to achieve. Again this is my opinion and I’m slightly experienced in this type of training as I’m limited on space also. So here my opinion on what you should do, top, top, top. Your first top will double your bud sites, topping the already topped beaches will double that and so on. Keep the main branches tied down to the point where it looks like a 3 dimensional Menorah if you know what that is. She has created over 16 main branches as a result and continues to make more as shes on no hurry to flower. I hope this is not to confusing for you and would be happy to elaborate deeper
Hi @Hayron1088
No, not topiary or bonsai just trying to grow 4' autos in as little space as possible and still get a reasonable yield

I love it - very neat idea but after seeing it think I would just use the tomato cage and curl it around, that way you can get to all parts of the plant since the middle area would be wide open and the plant can be trained / allowed to climb on up the cage in a spiral or circular manner as new growth occurs. The tendency will be for some of the limbs to grow into the center of your mesh and then you won’t be able to tend them

I love it - very neat idea but after seeing it think I would just use the tomato cage and curl it around, that way you can get to all parts of the plant since the middle area would be wide open and the plant can be trained / allowed to climb on up the cage in a spiral or circular manner as new growth occurs. The tendency will be for some of the limbs to grow into the center of your mesh and then you won’t be able to tend them
Good point, but I figure that the inside of the spiral will be darker, so the shoots should form on the outside, I can always pull any errant growth through to the outside if necessary
I have also cut access points into the mesh to get to the middle for watering & trimming if need be

Back
Top Bottom