It's me!

Khraevyn

Hello all,

I'm a 35 yr. old father of 7 living in the Pacific Northwest. I am disabled with a degenerative disc disease and have been using marijuana medically for the past 5 yrs., however, I've been a toker for most of my life. Looking to start my own grow and was looking around for some ideas and came across this forum. Got some great ideas already, but would appreciate any suggestions. Plan on using a grow box by modifying/creating a wooden cabinet. The cabinet dimensions will be 6' high x 3' wide x 2' deep. The plan is to have a lower section for starts and clones, though I haven't decided if I should clone or use seeds. I think Cloning seems to be the preferred method, but I'm not sure about the space needed to keep a mother around. I have also been looking into some sort of hydro setup within the cabinet and have seen some pretty good ideas. But, that's enough talk. See you around and I welcome any suggestions or help!! :volcano-smiley:

Re: It's me!!!

Hello all,

I'm a 35 yr. old father of 7 living in the Pacific Northwest. I am disabled with a degenerative disc disease and have been using marijuana medically for the past 5 yrs., however, I've been a toker for most of my life. Looking to start my own grow and was looking around for some ideas and came across this forum. Got some great ideas already, but would appreciate any suggestions. Plan on using a grow box by modifying/creating a wooden cabinet. The cabinet dimensions will be 6' high x 3' wide x 2' deep. The plan is to have a lower section for starts and clones, though I haven't decided if I should clone or use seeds. I think Cloning seems to be the preferred method, but I'm not sure about the space needed to keep a mother around. I have also been looking into some sort of hydro setup within the cabinet and have seen some pretty good ideas. But, that's enough talk. See you around and I welcome any suggestions or help!! :volcano-smiley:

:welcome: Khraevyn! It sounds like you're at least starting with a plan.. more than I had! lol This is the best place I've ever found for cannabis knowledge. I started a grow journal and then started to get all kinds of help from experienced growers. I've also used the search feature a lot.... there is very little I can ask that hasn't already been asked by someone! :) You can check out the links that are with my signature, you may find some helpful. Good luck! :peace:

I'm looking at some seed vendors now to see what kind of strains I may want to try. I live in Washington State and it's legal here, but I'm not sure what sites are worth or even reputable. Seem to be a ton, but some say they don't deliver to U.S. Any suggestions on a seller??

If you can't find clones locally and want seeds. This site has a sponsors page.. I have heard the most positive comments about Herbie's Head Shop...

I prefer clones but having the experience from seed to bud is useful and fun.

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions and look around. Plenty of people here willing to help.

As far as your space. You need to take in to consideration height restrictions.

The height of your pots... The distance needed between plant canopy and lights for effectiveness. Then of course fresh air exchange. The beauty of living in a legal state you really don't have to worry about being discreet!!

Best of luck... Stop by my journal if you would like

I was leaning towards Herbie's already so I'm glad u say that. I may check out the local dispensary for clones, but with what they charge a gram for the flower, I'm hesitant to even ask. May have to take a trip to Seattle this weekend and check out some shops over there. I did some Cream of the Crop Narcotherapy(! Cream Of The Crop Narcotherapy Autoflowering Feminised Seeds - Updated:6th Nov 2014) on Herbie's that is exactly the kind of strain I'm looking for so i may be making a purchase in the near future.

I am working on a blueprint for my custom cabinet, but I think I'm gonna go with a BB setup ASAP to get some going. It seems to be right along what I need with space constraints/yield. Plus, we just moved and with being hobbled, unpacking is slow so it's going to be a minute before I can actually install it the way I want. I plan on giving myself 4 1/2 feet of grow space in the upper part of the cabinet with a 3 foot section down below for storage and maybe some starts. I'm thinking 2 five gallon buckets side by side, with them being counter sunk into lower compartment to maximize the available grow space. Hopefully, only have 6 inches or less bucket visible in grow space so it can be mostly plant. Currently working on a fan setup using some 80mm PC fans, some filters, and an old power supply. Looks like it may work like I need and give me plenty of air flow. Construction medium is going to be my biggest problem for making the cabinet though. That's a lot of wood to do it correctly, so I'm looking at some other options. The wife is not liking the cardboard idea cause of safety issues with the power and water, but I was thinking of grabbing 2 of the clothing boxes for moving from UHAUL and just using them on a stand. But, instead I'm gonna do me a BB with a box over it for when I need to control the light. Gotta run it by the wife when she gets home from work, but I think it will at least get me started for minimal costs and get me some actual hands on experience. I've been reading for a couple years now and I have grown gardens my entire life, but this is my first actual attempt at growing my own supply. I will try and post some pics when I get to actual setting things up. I'm only doing this for my own personal supply so I don't need a huge setup. But, I've rambled on long enough so I'll see ya around and will keep checking ur journal for when u harvest. Very nice by the way on ur latest grow!!

:welcome: Khraevyn! I too am working on my first grow. I got things tucked away in an unused tiny closet space for now, but I have the frame for my tent up and will be wrapping it with panda film tomorrow. I may do a diy of the tent construction, but there will at least be pics up on my grow log late tomorrow evening or Friday morning. Check out my grow log in the link below.

So I went to the local grow shop and picked up a DWC kit for $30.:cheer:
It came with the following:

5 gallon black bucket with 6" net pot lid
3/4" 90 degree plug with rubber seal
12" Blue hose to use for level indicator
44GPH pump with hose and 4" Cylinder stone
clay pebbles for grow medium

I also picked up some General Hydroponics 3-step nutrients. I got 1 Liter of the FloraMicro, FloraGro, and FloraBloom. It came with a feeding and dosage guide. I grabbed some Ph strips to keep a handle on Ph levels. I know low tech, but I've maintained turtles, fish, pools, and restaurants so I think I may be ahead of the game there. Still will keep a close eye on it.

The one thing I didn't get was a light. He had one at the shop for $65, but I wanted to see if u guys had anything to say. I've checked other posts and journals, as well as Googling the crap out of lighting. Looking for the economical(performance/cost) solution to a one plant grow. Not anything crazy, but will be plenty of light for veg and bloom. I know it's 2 different spectrums for the 2 with veg being like 2700K and bloom being more like 5000K+. CFL's seem to be the latest "fad"?? HPS is like 150W for around $70 which is what I believe what he had at the shop. He did say another bulb would be like another $50 to $100 depending on how high I wanted to go. It was a simple hood setup, but I think now he said it was Flourescent cause I had some concerns with heat and he said it wouldn't have much. Either way, any advice would be great.

BONUS!!!! I found a stash of seeds tucked in a box. If I remember correctly, they are from some Dutch Treat that was most wonderful. I have the three little beauties germing now, so keep ur fingers crossed I get one female. They are kind of little seeds, but we'll see how it goes. I think I'm about ready to start a journal. Be putting my bucket together this weekend and will be documenting that so look for it with some pics. I'll be sure to link it here for you guys. See ya around and happy growing!!!

welcome to :420:..

herbies is the way to go and they are a great sponsor on the site ... gh flora series works great and it has an easy to follow nute schedule.
if u think u will run into heat issues cfls are the way to go . u can grow real nice plant with them .. and they dont cost as much to operate .

Back
Top Bottom