Jury Duty

merickson

An educational story:

So last month, I GOT THE JOB !!!, I went where they told me to, answered their questions and they said "Thank you, we'd love to have you as a juror."

This was no problem, since my day job is for the state, I get time off for jury duty.

But, I was not happy leaving my pocket knife, nail clippers and handcuff keys at home. (Boo Hoo, too bad, I lived with it.)

What I forgot to do was search myself thoroughly before leaving home.

<walks through scanner>
BEEP (do those arches ever NOT beep?)
"Step over here, sir"
<wand, wand>
"Do you have anything in your pockets?"

(Let me pause here to thank the sheriffs who work front door security at the courthouse. It's a shitty job (I wouldn't want it), and they treated everyone profesionaly.)

The night before I had taken a stroll, and I had brought a pipe of my favorite smoke to enhance the evening. The piece (sturdy square pocket peice with dichromic(?) sprials blown into the glass) was of course carried in my pocket. When was it removed? (I think this is called narrative tension.)

"Sure I have lots of things in my pocket"
<reaches into pocket, feels things.>
thinks: Hey, what's that heavy thing with a hole in one end?
...No No No, do not let your expression change!

<pulls out glove>
"Thank you sir"

As I went on my way, I pondered and this is the conclusion that I came to.
A badge that says JUROR is a good thing.
The courthouse personel like juries. Judges hate mistrials and the courthouse workers (including the cops) give jurors more than a break.

Would the guard have wanted to investigate further had I been a non-juror?
Did a fleeting expression let the guard know that it was wisest to not inquire deeply about my pocket's contents?
I don't know.
What I do know is:

1) Show up for jury duty. Its interesting, a civic responsibility, and the only way that you can nullify exorbatent charges for using the herb. (No, it didn't get that opportunity. I got to convict a felony embesselor.)

2) If you are going to the courthouse, search yourself thoroughly before leaving home. Perform this search After putting on your coat.

Oh my, its 4:17. I need to get off the computer, would you care to join me?

I took out everything I could think of that was metal, dropped it in the box, walked through with no beeps at all, was putting everything back in my pockets when I saw the sign about no guns or knives. Suddenly I realized that I'd forgotten to leave my all-metal assisted-opening knife in the car. I pulled it out and said, "I forgot this, I'll just run it out to my car." And I did, but I still wonder why it didn't cause an alarm. It's not the biggest knife I've ever carried, but it's big enough that I have to keep it clipped in my back pocket instead of sticking it in my front one.

BtW, there is a little gate in the rail where "official folks" go through and when I came running back in there was a line at the detector. The guy said, "I already checked you, you can come on through here."

Gee, that was really nice and all, but what if I'd grabbed my little carry piece when I was out putting my knife in the car? Good thing I'm a good guy.

Back
Top Bottom