Just starting out

Kip22

Hi all

I've been doing a fair bit of reading and think I've settled on a soil mix to start my seeds then grow them but wanted to see if anyone thinks I've gone down the wrong path. I've grown with some success in the past but usually not too good.

I'm going to start the seeds in small pots 1/2 in deep lightly packed using promix HP. A lot of places recommend the coco but also I read that it is less forgiving so maybe I'll try that later?

After they are about 2 weeks I'll transplant to a mix of 2 parts Promix HP, 1 part sea soil (Original SEA SOIL™) 1 part coco.

Per above most of the nutrients are going to be coming from the sea soil. Should I supplement that with something and if so what and when? I'm in Canada so some brands are unavailable to me.

Mylar: Should I use it or some other kind of reflective material?

I've built a 3 ft by 2.5 ft by 5 ft high grow room. I have a single 180 watt Apollo horticulture LED light and two 6500k cfls. Is that enough light for that space?

:thanks:

Just starting out.

Sounds like you've done some research! That's always a good start. This is a great place for learning and meeting some great people. That sounds like a similar sized space to mine. Yours is a bit bigger though. Reflective surfaces really come down to what you had access to and what's in the budget. Mylar has worked for many people for a long time. Others use a white/black plastic known as "panda plastic" or "poly". You can even paint the walls of the space white if you want. All of these work just fine. With soil and nutrients you'll want to find the n-p-k values of the soil and any nutrients you'll be using. The nutrients will have a feeding schedule as well. Start at 1/4 or 1/2 and adjust as the plants show. I personally only adjust/add anything if the plants show me they need it. With light a good rule of thumb is 50 actual draw watts per sq.ft. This goes up and down depending on light type used. Significantly up in the case of cfls. Only way to know is to grow! The best way to get help and have knowledgeable people hanging around is to start a grow journal! Hopefully you get things going well and I'm sure you'll have big beautiful plants in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the fast reply.

Looks like I might be a little light in the lumens dept. I'm thinking it will be fine when the lights are lowered and become an issue when the plants get bigger. I can add CFL's really easy. Maybe should have sprung for the 400 watt LED from the get go.

The LED should arrive this week so I'm pretty stoked to get going.

Kip

Back
Top Bottom