Kelp meal tea

Kevin Jacobs

I don't know if this is the right place for this post so if not I apologise in advance. I made a tea with kelp meal only and when I checked the ppm with my HM TDS meter it was 111 and flashing X10 that would be 1110 ppm, that sounds really high to me, I've never used kelp meal before and was wondering if this sounds about right. All I used was kelp meal and rain water.
Step 1 I put 2 TBS of kelp meal in a blender and added a half pint of rain water and blended it for about 2 minutes. Then added it to 2 gallons of rain water and mixed it up real good, I've been stirring it several times a day for 2 days. I want to use it but thought I better ask first. By the way I'm in my 2nd week of flower. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

@The Phantom have you brewed kelp before for your soil plants?

@The Phantom have you brewed kelp before for your soil plants?
No first time that's why that number sounded really high to me. I just talked to a friend of mine not 2 minutes ago, he's bringing over his blue lab ppm meter to check it. He just told me that there is no way it should be that high. My rain water only has a ppm of 14 and 2 table spoons of kelp meal shouldn't have raised it that high. I'm just new to all this, it's only my second grow and my first really didn't turn out all that well for me.

i feedl ya bud, It sucks to care for somethign hard and not get what your looking for. Good job on asking first.
Wait for your friend to come by and double check. if you want to make it easy on your self, use Micro Grow nutrients.
It has everything a plant needs and apperently has really good results. i am using it on my first grow as we speak.

I'm waiting patiently, I'm hoping to get it figured out, grow and learn is all I can do. He said maybe my meter needs to be calibrated he's bringing something with him just in case, hopefully it's something that simple.

@Kevin Jacobs ... kelp tea is good for a lot of things, but it is not going to supply all the microbes that are needed for a grow in bloom. I don't know if your are trying to grow organically or not, but if so you are going to need a lot more inputs than simply kelp to make good compost teas.

As far as the TDS reading goes... what did you expect grinding all of that up and turning it into a tea? Of course its TDS is high. Again, if you are growing organically, put that TDS meter up on a shelf for a while... it is worthless unless you are growing hydroponically.

@Kevin Jacobs emilya knows her organic matters well. I've read some of her threads and she has effective affordable methods to make your grow experience worthy.

@Kevin Jacobs ... kelp tea is good for a lot of things, but it is not going to supply all the microbes that are needed for a grow in bloom. I don't know if your are trying to grow organically or not, but if so you are going to need a lot more inputs than simply kelp to make good compost teas.

As far as the TDS reading goes... what did you expect grinding all of that up and turning it into a tea? Of course its TDS is high. Again, if you are growing organically, put that TDS meter up on a shelf for a while... it is worthless unless you are growing hydroponically.
No I'm using nutes I just wanted to add a tea into my regimen and thought that kelp would be ok to use. I just had it checked with a different meter and it was 94 ppm, mine is out of calibration that's being taken care of now.

Right, so i don't know exactly what type of fertz are in kelp but what you want to watch out for is making sure that adding kelp to your nutrients isn't going to boost up the same ingredients.
EX: If your nutrient has nitrogin and your kelp is adding additional nitrogin then you have the pottential chance that you get a nitrogin lock out and the plant will suffer and stress. now again i don't know whats in kelp or nectar but its just a example.

Now, i agree that you can add additional fertz or nutr to your current feeding to boost it up but you have to figure what does the plant need first and what your products provide.

i don't know nectar nutrients. Perhaphs researching and hopefully someone else who've used nectar can give you a reference to what you gotta do.

also, can you post few pictures here of your plant. Make sure its under natural day light and get a few upclose and far off.
like to see what your dealing with :thumb:

Right, so i don't know exactly what type of fertz are in kelp but what you want to watch out for is making sure that adding kelp to your nutrients isn't going to boost up the same ingredients.
EX: If your nutrient has nitrogin and your kelp is adding additional nitrogin then you have the pottential chance that you get a nitrogin lock out and the plant will suffer and stress. now again i don't know whats in kelp or nectar but its just a example.

Now, i agree that you can add additional fertz or nutr to your current feeding to boost it up but you have to figure what does the plant need first and what your products provide.

i don't know nectar nutrients. Perhaphs researching and hopefully someone else who've used nectar can give you a reference to what you gotta do.

also, can you post few pictures here of your plant. Make sure its under natural day light and get a few upclose and far off.
like to see what your dealing with :thumb:
They have a so called unofficial Bible on how to use it, but if I made the tea in it I would have to buy their product by the gallon plus kelp and a bunch of other stuff like worm castings, bat sh*t, stuff like that. So I figured I would just give them some kelp.

Edit... What I would suggest to anybody that reads this and is new to growing like myself..
You may want to stay away from this product until you are more familiar with growing, this stuff is way too hard for a newborn to use, but this is just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a good line of nutes it's just too much for a 2nd time grower.

As you can see, my training technic isn't really all that good but here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_133525.jpg
    IMG_20200725_133525.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200725_133517.jpg
    IMG_20200725_133517.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200725_133505.jpg
    IMG_20200725_133505.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200725_133450.jpg
    IMG_20200725_133450.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200725_121600.jpg
    IMG_20200725_121600.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 60
sry your pictures aren't that clear but they seem nice and green.
on your last picture i see one plant on the right that has tip burns and side yellowing leaves. I'd suggust noching your nutrients down for that plant. your feeding is to hot.

I'd deffinitly suggust finding out your nutrients specs before you feed that kelp tea.

Back
Top Bottom