Kicked out of their new home!

77Camaro

We are having some nice early warm temps here in Ontario so I thought it was time for my girls to leave the greenhouse to their new homes out in the fields. I dug the holes a couple weeks ago and added some good soil. I wanted the holes dug early so whatever was going to check the new holes out would hopefully not bother my girls. A lesson I learned last year from my dam squirrels or chipmunks investigating. NOT THE CASE!!! I put these girls in about 4 pm last night and at 6 am 3 of them had been kicked out! Not eaten just kicked out. It looked to me like the prints of raccoons.

I put them back in and will check them again after work. I am reading about maybe putting some rags with javex on them and putting them near the plants. I will set it back far enough that it does not leach into the girls. Any other suggestions? I thought they looked ok so I just put them back in. If they don't look good maybe I will take them back home for some TLC.

The joys of growing outdoors!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

THX

We are having some nice early warm temps here in Ontario so I thought it was time for my girls to leave the greenhouse to their new homes out in the fields. I dug the holes a couple weeks ago and added some good soil. I wanted the holes dug early so whatever was going to check the new holes out would hopefully not bother my girls. A lesson I learned last year from my dam squirrels or chipmunks investigating. NOT THE CASE!!! I put these girls in about 4 pm last night and at 6 am 3 of them had been kicked out! Not eaten just kicked out. It looked to me like the prints of raccoons.

I put them back in and will check them again after work. I am reading about maybe putting some rags with javex on them and putting them near the plants. I will set it back far enough that it does not leach into the girls. Any other suggestions? I thought they looked ok so I just put them back in. If they don't look good maybe I will take them back home for some TLC.

The joys of growing outdoors!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

THX
I keep a roll of "welded wire fencing' around the ranch that has smaller openings (1" X 4"). I make cages out of them to surround my outdoor girls. Nice thing about that fencing material, the wire is pretty thin, so when you step back about 15', you can't really see them.

This one got too big for its cage and got eaten up a bit.
She now has a new cage that keeps a clear perimeter of the plant.

-P

Eh, thanks! I was thinking of doing this but didn't know if it would work for the raccoons. I thought maybe the little a-holes would pull it out of the grown. I had to buy a garbage can that I can hardly get into to keep them out lol Hi-ho Hi-Ho it's off to the hardware store I go! I know I am also probably going to be dealing with rabbits this year because they are making a comeback. For a while, the coyotes have been keeping the population down.

Once again thanks! :)

Eh, thanks! I was thinking of doing this but didn't know if it would work for the raccoons. I thought maybe the little a-holes would pull it out of the grown. I had to buy a garbage can that I can hardly get into to keep them out lol Hi-ho Hi-Ho it's off to the hardware store I go! I know I am also probably going to be dealing with rabbits this year because they are making a comeback. For a while, the coyotes have been keeping the population down.

Once again thanks! :)
Yeah, I stake mine down with tent stakes so the wind doesn't blow them into a tangled mess. Might help keep the trash pandas away. Anyhow... best of luck. I hate critters!

Once again another great idea! Bring in the reinforcements lol

Back
Top Bottom