Kshdmn's Inaugural Grow - 2015

Kshdmn

420 Member
First crack at my own grow, with the amounts that I require for my anxiety I figured I would undertake a new project. I jumped in with the goal of two plants and a yield of an oz each. I wanted to create a small portable self enclosed environment and had a steep learning curve to start. I will update this log with more of the specifics of the grow box and some of the challenges I faced at the start along with semi regular progress reports and I'm sure the odd question or two.

As for the important details, I sprouted a pair of seeds of the Crop King feminized Purple Kush. It's 75% indica with a THC of 27.5 and CBD of 0.4. according to the packaging. What can I say I love my purple.. I'm hoping to get my hands on some CBD crew Medihaze as I've found the higher CBD numbers has done a wonderful job of treating my anxiety. Have tried some noodle and thought it was a light clear high, good for the day, but wanted to try something bigger.

OK.. Enough talk for now.. Some pics..

IMAG24642.jpg
IMAG24652.jpg
IMAG24661.jpg
IMAG24672.jpg

The Box is made out of 2 120L strong bins lined with airfoil. Made the carbon scrubber with the help of all of you out there on the interwebs, and attached it to a 6 inch exhaust with an old "Radio Shack Cooling Fan" I found laying around. As for lighting I have 1x43W (200w) Daylight CFL and 2x40W (150W) Soft White CFL in addition to 2x5M strips of 3528 LEDs (Red and Green) for side lighting. Circulation fans are the $7 USB specials from your favorite retailer and I have a notebook cooling fan taking fin air from a 2x6" vent hole. I also constructed a four bank bubble cloner and a co2 generator just as something to do while I was baked... :Rasta:

One of my initial challenges after I had drowned 3 of my seeds was temperature, part of the learning curve.. Initially I had the CFLs hanging down, once the seedlings had sprouted they got burnt... oops.. so i rejigged the lighting to the config above. I also only had a passive intake with the exhaust and one circulation fan, not enough considering the air foil was trapping the heat in.. so I added in the 2 extra circ fans as well as the small instake assembly.. I added in the LEDs at the same time i did the fan upgrade and didnt expect the strips to heat up so much (mind you i went from the standard 12V power source to a 20V laptop supply, to push as much light out as I could from the diodes). So after playing around with the fan placement (even changed the direction of the intake from down to up) until I reached the current layout. As of today I have the LEDs and the 45W CFL sitting at 35C in the middle of the box. The soil actually feels cool to the touch so I may switch on one of the 40W CFL for tommorrows cycle.

One of the other challenges I faced when i transplanted the seedlings into the bigger pots. I had made a mixture out of potting soil, compost and top soil. In the smaller pot i used just the mixture and although the plant appears small it looks like its starting to thrive again. In the larger pot i had bought some river stones to line the bottom (standard black pots with the side vent holes) thinking that I could pool the nutrients from the compost to slowly leach back into the soil. After the transplant the larger plant went into shock. Initially I had thought the heat was causing the issue, but after thinking about the steps I had taken nutrient overkill seemed more likely. I flushed out the pot (saved the runoff in a container to reuse, no sense letting all those precious nutrients go to waste) and sprayed the plants once every couple hours for a few days and they seem to be making a comeback.

I was pretty suprised to see how the plants reacted to the LEDs, they put on biomass at a much quicker rate! I've named the girls Padme and Leia. I topped Padme this morning and hopefully I can get the cutting to root. So how much do you guess I can yield from this setup?? Questions and comments are welcome hopefully we can get a good discussion going with some learning for all!!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom