LA City Attorney Wrong About AG

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Los Angeles City Attorney’s office misrepresented the position of California Attorney General Jerry Brown today, implying that the state’s top law enforcement official said that all sales of cannabis are illegal. That never happened. On Saturday, KFI Radio in Los Angeles broadcast a previously recorded statement by the Attorney General Brown in which he says, “Unfortunately, in some communities, Los Angeles in particular, there’s a lot of exploitation and just getting into the drug business, the dope business.”

Pundits at the notoriously conservative radio station (home to Rush Limbaugh and anti-gay crusader “Dr. Laura” Schlesinger) then added their own spin to the Attorney General’s comments. The reporters opined “California’s Attorney General says he supports efforts by LA prosecutors to go after marijuana dispensaries selling pot to patients. Jerry Brown says marijuana’s illegal to sell, no matter what, but he says the state’s medical marijuana laws are very confusing about who is allowed to provide the drug to patients.”

Really? No recorded evidence supports that expansive interpretation of the Attorney General’s comments. In fact, a spokesman told Americans for Safe Access today that the report was inaccurate and Brown has not changed his position. That didn’t stop the Jane Usher from the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office from picking up where the ideologues at KFI left off, and taking it even further. She read the commentator’s expansive interpretation and the Attorney Generals comments back-to-back, never indicating to Councilmembers that she was mixing the two and muddying the waters.

This is just the latest dirty pool from entrenched staff at the City Attorney’s office, who seem bent on steering the Los Angeles City Council down their own narrow ideological path. They have consistently confused Primary Caregivers with patients’ collectives and ignored important case law like People v Urziceanu. The City Attorney’s staff has been wrong about regulations, wrong about case law, wrong about the infamous hardship provision, and wrong about extending the moratorium. It is not surprising they are wrong about Jerry Brown, too.

Perhaps City Councilmembers would do well to look to what the Attorney General said in his guidelines for medical cannabis published last year. Attorney General Brown wrote that “a properly organized and operated collective of cooperative that dispenses medical marijuana through a storefront may be lawful under California law,” provided the facility substantially complies with the guidelines.

Harsh criticism today by Councilmembers Reyes and Koretz indicate that the City Council is growing weary of bad legal advice. After lengthy debate, Councilmembers rejected the City Attorney’s ban on sales of cannabis for a second time – opting instead for alternative language proposed by Council President Garcetti.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: aboutmedicalmarijuana.com
Author: Don Duncan
Copyright: 2009 About Medical Marijuana

the city counsel is trying to find something that works for everyone and I thank them for that, however the DA and city attorney are looking to basically go against what they said and campaigned for when they were running for office and that is serve the people, it's funny how elected officials do that.....after they are in office. as a patient I have finally gotten some releif without taking numerous medication's 3-4 times per day. maybe we should regulate "drug stores". Aren't they selling drugs over the counter that kill more people in 24 hours that medical cannabis ever has. they won't answer that...??? let's get this issue resolved!!!!!:smokin:

Oh, please, yes. I think it s*^ks that, within California, there is so much discrepancy from county to county. Make a law and make it stick. That's all.

As far as AG Brown goes, he is who he is and does what he believes in. The nutsos are trying to split the progressives. Don't let that happen.

:peace:out

News reports are saying this week that Cooley the LA county DA is going to run for AG. We need to do everything possible to keep this guy out of that office. He has already said he doesn't care what the law says he will arrest collective owners and anyone he considers to be breaking the law. We can't let him get into office. I have never been involved in any politics but I will do what ever is needed to keep him out of that office. Everyone needs to get behind this movement I know is coming. Maybe at the same time we could get a new LA county DA that is more in line with what the people of LA county want and that is don't spend what few tax dollars that are left to fight this issue, lets go after real crime and real problems.:peace:

News reports are saying this week that Cooley the LA county DA is going to run for AG. We need to do everything possible to keep this guy out of that office. He has already said he doesn't care what the law says he will arrest collective owners and anyone he considers to be breaking the law. We can't let him get into office. I have never been involved in any politics but I will do what ever is needed to keep him out of that office. Everyone needs to get behind this movement I know is coming. Maybe at the same time we could get a new LA county DA that is more in line with what the people of LA county want and that is don't spend what few tax dollars that are left to fight this issue, lets go after real crime and real problems.:peace:

:amen: I'm not a political person either but Cooley and Trutanich need run out of this town.

We must educate people regarding who is running for/against what. And not be swayed by certain individuals who, because they ran E-Bay, think they can run this state.

Back
Top Bottom