LabRat's Bubbler Tub Grow Method How-To

Would a bubbler tub like mine work? I'm not sure what kind of grow area you have or any concerns you have about access to your rez/tubs and farting around with the plants.

:peace:

I guess maybe! I suppose a way to resolve the problem is to use a 2nd res tank and pump the fluids to the tank with the plants in it, then when that tank holding the plants is low on nutrient fluids that would be a good time to empty an clean that right! is that how your system works.

My big problem is where I currently have the grow tent which is up on the second floor in the loft, not an ideal place for hydro anything, I do plan to move it and reset everthing down in the garage and hoping to have time before I harvest in a week or 2 to clean it up and build a dark room and veg room, an will decide room size when ready start the build.

Right now I'm waiting on the trichomes to trun, looking for the creamy white part amber, will have to check them out with the scope today, the skunk plant is turning out to a bit harder to til.

Hay LabRat hope to keep up the chat with you bro.

thanks for the step by step + rep for the info going to try this week.

First indoor tent grow!pics
triple-js-4000w-hps-grow-veg-room.110404

:nicethread:hello labrat. great info. i am wondering though if you load up both of your tubs with their capacity 12 in the 12 hole unit and 4 in the 4 hole unit ,since the tubs are the same seize do you yeild the same with the 12 plants as you yeild with the four plants,,since the space used and the light provided is identical?

A man named Mel Bartholomew pioneered what's known as Square Foot Gardening where, outdoors, you divide your garden up in to 1 square foot sections and plant your individual crop (vegetables, in Mel's case) in each square foot. So, you have 1 bean plant, 1 pepper plant, etc, in each little square. Normally, you would plant these crops a good distance apart to allow them to bush out & become more productive.

Mel showed, through square foot gardening, that although you have plants more densely packed into a small area, your overall yield is higher. Each plant produces less (meaning smaller fruit or veggies, and fewer of them), but you have more plants producing.

This essentially translates into what people are doing for a sea of green (SoG) - a bunch of smaller plants, densely packed. In a true SoG, the cannabis plants will probably only produce 1 bud, the main cola, due to fierce competition for light and space. These typically go 12/12 as soon as the clones have roots. Say you have an area thats 9 square feet. You could fill it up with as many plants as you can, probably better than 9 if you had more than 1 plant per pot, and you would yield more than if you had, say, 3 or 4 larger plants taking up the same space.

However, there is the issue of quality to contend with. Will the bud quality of of a large, mature plant be better than what's harvested off a tiny plant found in a SoG?

Labrat great tutorial. I love how simple the DWC buckets are. Pump, line, airstone, bucket w/lid, pot, medium, nutes and plant.

However, there is the issue of quality to contend with. Will the bud quality of of a large, mature plant be better than what's harvested off a tiny plant found in a SoG?

I currently have not done enough grows to be able to fully answer that with 100% certainty.
But if you are worried about maturity with clones...they come off of a 'mature' mother plant. So from what I have gathered clones are just as 'mature' as a mother plant.
Now if you grow from seed you want to veg the plant first unless you know for certain its an equatorial strain.
So I dont think you will have to worry about quality of the bud being hindered based on maturity of the plant based on obvious reasons.
Quality of the bud is more about firstly genetics and secondly about environment the plants grown in.
To take a better stab at answering your question more directly... No the quality of the budz will not suffer small plants vs large plants. The budz will simply be smaller.

Now this answer is purely as if you meant with clones. Now if you are talking about seeds, which is how I have done all my grows so far, then there is a timeline of maturity. Once a plant is fully mature then it doesn't matter anymore small budz or big budz. When a plant preflowers or grows alternating nodes it is supposedly sexually mature.

Hope that helps! :grinjoint: :yahoo: :rollit: :peace:
Musik

L.R. Just wanted to stop by and say Hi and thanks for the great info. I put your tub unit together and "Damn" it works Great......I did up a smaller version for a cloner but wont be abel to try it out for another week or so. The plants are kicking ass.
Thank you Labrat

How much reading and studying do you guys do before moving along with growing? I am feeling the Deep Water Culture as it is similar to the system described here :) I was feeling the phototron as my parents used to grow bud, but i am going for quality and user friendliness.

L.R. Just wanted to stop by and say Hi and thanks for the great info. I put your tub unit together and "Damn" it works Great......I did up a smaller version for a cloner but wont be abel to try it out for another week or so. The plants are kicking ass.
Thank you Labrat

Excellent. :welcome: to 420Mag by the way. :cheer:

I've got a mini one for cloning too. I used it a few years ago and it worked great.

It's nice to hear that someone got some use from my little tutorial.

:goodluck: and good growing! :bong: +Rep for luck!

C'ya

How much reading and studying do you guys do before moving along with growing? I am feeling the Deep Water Culture as it is similar to the system described here :) I was feeling the phototron as my parents used to grow bud, but i am going for quality and user friendliness.

High Myzz617 and :welcome: to 420Mag and the Labrat's Lair! Good to have you aboard.

Most of us are always reading and learning no matter how long we've been growing. A lot easier now with forums like this to get help. Wish we had this kind of info when I started growing in the '70s.

It's actually just the same as Deep Water Culture without the feeder lines. It's been working for me for nine years now.

It's looking like I'm going to get a pound off the two tubs I'm cropping now. Plus about 6 oz of high grade trim for kief, oil and cannabutter.

I wouldn't get a phototron. Better off to build a grow cabinet IMHO. Lots of good examples in the forums here of cabs and some fine bud coming out of them too. :bong:

Whatever you decide to do :goodluck: and good growing! +Reps to help you along.

L8r

High Myzz617 and :welcome: to 420Mag and the Labrat's Lair! Good to have you aboard.

Most of us are always reading and learning no matter how long we've been growing. A lot easier now with forums like this to get help. Wish we had this kind of info when I started growing in the '70s.

It's actually just the same as Deep Water Culture without the feeder lines. It's been working for me for nine years now.

It's looking like I'm going to get a pound off the two tubs I'm cropping now. Plus about 6 oz of high grade trim for kief, oil and cannabutter.

I wouldn't get a phototron. Better off to build a grow cabinet IMHO. Lots of good examples in the forums here of cabs and some fine bud coming out of them too. :bong:

Whatever you decide to do :goodluck: and good growing! +Reps to help you along.

L8r

Thanks labrat :) one last question to pick at your brain. What kind of saw's, i know a hole saw but what size or brand show i go for? I actually think i want to build one from scratch as i dont want to purchase a Deep Water Culture from my credit card and have it traced. I think im going to try this and another one i seen on here. also last question, should or would you recommend that i start of with soil to grow or does it not make a difference going str8 to hydro? Thanks for the feedback and hospitality. Love the fact that this site exists, im more of a computer nerd but going back to skool has got me interested in quite a few projects. This being the main one that can save me hundreds once i am successful ;)

Thanks labrat :) one last question to pick at your brain. What kind of saw's, i know a hole saw but what size or brand show i go for? I actually think i want to build one from scratch as i dont want to purchase a Deep Water Culture from my credit card and have it traced. I think im going to try this and another one i seen on here. also last question, should or would you recommend that i start of with soil to grow or does it not make a difference going str8 to hydro? Thanks for the feedback and hospitality. Love the fact that this site exists, im more of a computer nerd but going back to skool has got me interested in quite a few projects. This being the main one that can save me hundreds once i am successful ;)

If you're cutting holes for larger pots check out a tool rental place. A 5" hole saw can cost upwards of $40 and the rental will only be few. Measure the pots you're going to use just above where the holes are and get a saw slightly bigger than that. Then the pots sit higher up and leave more room for nutes in your bucket/tub. Not a big deal when the plants are small but when they get bigger and are really sucking down the water it can make a big difference.

Do you mean start in soil for your first grow or start seeds in soil and move them to hydro like I do?

Some people say DWC is too hard for new growers but I think it's easier if you go carefully and have the basic tools to monitor your nute levels. pH and TDS pens or a combo pen are a must or you're flying blind. Things can go wrong faster with hydro, but they can be fixed faster too. I have a lot more trouble with soil grows but seem to be ok with hydro nutes and soil-less mixes.

Here's an idea for you. Start with soil-less medium but buy good hydro nutes to feed them with if you're not wanting pure organic pot. Then if you want to switch to hydro you've got the nutes to do it and some plants to get clones off of.

C'ya.

Labrat; I was abel to try out your DIY cloner two and a half weeks ago. I cloned in the bud stage, needed to see there sex. I used the superthrive, ph water 5.8 and H2O2.The root are about six inches long and going to be transplanted after this post.
First clones I've ever taken and in the bud stage 2 1/2 weeks..Sir I take my hat off to you....

looks like you,ve got everything down too a very nice routine glad to see you are using hydrogen peroxide35% exellent choice anyone growing in water should 50%faster growth 30%more harvest love your design guess Im alittle lazy I have the rainforrest318 makes it so easykeep up the great job

Labrat; I was abel to try out your DIY cloner two and a half weeks ago. I cloned in the bud stage, needed to see there sex. I used the superthrive, ph water 5.8 and H2O2.The root are about six inches long and going to be transplanted after this post.
First clones I've ever taken and in the bud stage 2 1/2 weeks..Sir I take my hat off to you....

Very good. It warms my old heart when something I've suggested actually works for someone else. At least it shows it wasn't just a fluke! lol

+Reps for the heads-up! :bong:

C'ya

Unless you are cutting a lot of holes, a dremel with a cutting tool works well. Much slower than a hole saw but gets it done.

I'm still looking for tin cans the right size then I could just rough up the edge with a rasp and hand drill the holes. Or maybe heat it up and melt the holes through the lid. They might wonder why I'm running around the store with a tape measure tho! :laughtwo:

+Reps to help you on your way! :Rasta:

looks like you,ve got everything down too a very nice routine glad to see you are using hydrogen peroxide35% exellent choice anyone growing in water should 50%faster growth 30%more harvest love your design guess Im alittle lazy I have the rainforrest318 makes it so easykeep up the great job

Nothing wrong with being lazy as long as you put peroxide on it it'll be OK! :rofl:

+Reps just for for dropping by! :bong:

Back
Top Bottom