Leaves developing brown spots and patches during flowering.

MJ 123

Hi all,

As you can probably see I'm new round here so thanks for reading my first post.

I'm also new to growing and I hope it'll be ok to jump straight in and ask for some advice on what's happening to my three plants. Please see the photos I've posted below of the problem I'm describing.

The plants came to me ten weeks ago as cuttings already rooted by an experienced grower. I'd ask the grower what they thought about this but I don't know them myself, the cuttings having been obtained through a trusted friend of a trusted friend.

I'm not sure what strain the plants are but am waiting to see if we can find out.

The plants were given 18 hours of light for the first 4 weeks, then reduced to 12 and then after another week to 11.

They began to flower about a week after the first light reduction so have now been flowering for about 5 weeks.

We have the plants growing in soil in a spare room measuring 5x4m.

The light is a 600w SHPS and is suspended roughly 18 inches from the tops of the plants.

The soil mix I'll have to find out about to be sure I'm giving the correct information. It came from the commercial plant nursery where my partner works. They grow flowers plants and shrubs from seeds and we used the compost they use to repot young plants . To this we added a quantity of slow release fertiliser from the nursery. Again, I need to check exactly what this contained.

The pots are around 5 litres.

The room temperature is now between 20 and 25 degc. Earlier in the grow it would fall to around 15 c when the light was out during a really cold spell but once the light got going again it would soon be back up in the 20s.

The room is not air cooled.
PH and RH have not been measured.
There are no pests as far as I can see.

I had been watering them more or less every day sharing a litre sized jug between all three, unless they seemed particularly dry. Then I'd give them two litres. Recently my partner decided they were far too dry and gave them a good drenching. She thought I'd been giving them far too little and thought they should be kept moist all the time. I'd been testing the soil by pushing my finger in at the top and it had never felt dry to me. She said she'd put a finger in one of the drain holes in one of the pots and the soil was bone dry. We have kept them very moist ever since then but having read a bit on here I see this is not considered to be the best approach. Indeed I'm wishing I'd looked for some more information before starting my grow. Things might be going rather better now. I'd been led to believe the plants would more or less grow themselves given sufficient water and nutrients.

For fertiliser we used the slow release stuff I mentioned above. We also dissolved some of the same stuff in a gallon of water and fed that to the plants over a two of three day period after about 2 weeks growth under light. I'm wondering if the slow release fertiliser might be the cause of the problem. If we used too much in the soil mix it might not be immediately obvious, until more of the nutrients started to work their way into the plants...?

The problem has been noticeable now for about three weeks and seems to be getting worse. At first I thought it was just leaves dying off because the plant had finished with them so I snipped them off. I got a bit carried away snipping off leaves when the problem continued. I got the idea the plant had finished with its leaves and wanted to concentrate its energy on growing buds so I removed lots of healthy looking leaves too. I know now that was a big mistake but the problem in the photos had started well before I did that so I can't see that as being the cause. The problem is not confined to the tops of the plant but is more noticeable there.

As I say, I wish I'd found this site and the mine of information contained within before I started growing my ladies but what's done is done. I may have made some mistakes but more cuttings can be obtained and hopefully I can learn from this first effort and go on to grow healthier looking plants next time.

I hope I've given enough info on the grow to be of some use in diagnosing what's going on. I'll post up the missing details as soon as possible as well as anything else I might've forgotten just now. I can also post some more photos if needed.

Many thanks for reading, and looking...

DSCF29981.JPG

DSCF29971.JPG

MJ 123

:hmmmm:

:hmmmm:salt build up or nute burn. a flush is in order:)

Some cal mag will help to

I tried finding the fertilizer, you said it was mentioned above but can't find it?

Are you using RO water and are you using cal-mag?

Hi JJ Bones, thanks for taking the time to respond. Sorry if I caused any confusion re the fertiliser...

''The soil mix I'll have to find out about to be sure I'm giving the correct information. It came from the commercial plant nursery where my partner works. They grow flowers plants and shrubs from seeds and we used the compost they use to repot young plants . To this we added a quantity of slow release fertiliser from the nursery. Again, I need to check exactly what this contained. ''

I haven't used any cal-mag and have used ordinary UK tap water.

MJ 123

I think it just needs a good flush and then quality nutrient. H&G
Drip clean will help once you get it sorted, use it in your fresh
Water flush then go with quality house and garden ragime

:hmmmm:salt build up or nute burn. a flush is in order:)

Hey Fish Cake, thanks for that. I'll look into flushing but I was wondering, if this is nute burn it'd be caused by the slow release fertiliser we put in the soil seeing as we've not used anything else. I read somewhere on here that flushing could make any problem caused by such fertiliser worse. Salt build up would be a different matter of course but not knowing the cause yet it's difficult to know the best approach. The plants are not doing well now that's for sure and if it's the fertiliser hurting them I guess the only thing to do would be to repot them in clean soil and hope they recover some before cropping. I guess I could flush and if they get worse repot...?

I think it just needs a good flush and then quality nutrient. H&G
Drip clean will help once you get it sorted, use it in your fresh
Water flush then go with quality house and garden ragime

Hi Mr Messy, thanks for responding. I'm going to see about flushing later. Can't do anything now as the the light's off. Will also look into cal-mag too. Noyt familiar with H&G but that's something else I can google :winkyface: :thumb:

You definatly have a nutrient block. Slow release just don't work
With weed. You can't flush!!! It will make it worse. You also need to flush before you consume it. It looks like its nearl finished
Is it, how long on head. You can't do much from here! I would folar feed with just fresh water every few hours for a day or two then
Pull them out and place in fresh water. I met with roots still on. Leave for about 6 hours then take out and manicur

Next time put a tent in your room and research a good set up
I can help if you like/need :)-

You definatly have a nutrient block. Slow release just don't work
With weed. You can't flush!!! It will make it worse.

Nutrient block caused by... PH being wrong? I need to check this too.

I'm confused now because earlier you were saying to flush. Am I missing something?

It looks like its nearl finished
Is it, how long on head.

A couple of weeks left. What'll happen if I don't flush before consuming. Will it just taste bad of will there be more harmful effects?

Appreciate your comments. Thanks :)

Sorry, I missed that you use slow release nutes in my first comment. Flushing will just release more nutes as you mentioned before. Nutrient block is the result of just to much nutes and PH imbalance witch won't let your plants absorb the correct nutes. By folar feeding with fresh water it will wash the nutes out of the plant somewhat and let you smoke it. If you smoke it without fresh water flush it will taste salty, harsh, no flavour and will give you a headache. It won't kill you!
If you stop watering from the roots now and just folar feed H2o then the salts will disapate. When you pull it out and put roots in fresh H20 the plant will draw up fresh water in great volume and this will help with salty taste.
Look up House and Garden Nutrients, they are the bomb! Drip clean is awesome.
Hope this clears it up ;)-

Sorry, I missed that you use slow release nutes in my first comment. Flushing will just release more nutes as you mentioned before. Nutrient block is the result of just to much nutes and PH imbalance witch won't let your plants absorb the correct nutes. By folar feeding with fresh water it will wash the nutes out of the plant somewhat and let you smoke it. If you smoke it without fresh water flush it will taste salty, harsh, no flavour and will give you a headache. It won't kill you!
If you stop watering from the roots now and just folar feed H2o then the salts will disapate. When you pull it out and put roots in fresh H20 the plant will draw up fresh water in great volume and this will help with salty taste.
Look up House and Garden Nutrients, they are the bomb! Drip clean is awesome.
Hope this clears it up ;)-

Ok, so does it look likely that we've put in too much fertiliser but with it being slow release it took a while before it started to affect the plants? I'm going to get hold of a PH meter tomorrow to check the soil and our water. Really need to narrow things down to avoid the same happening again next time but I don't think, I'll be using slow release again. At least with a regular nute you can see how much is going in. My partner brought the pots home already full of soil and fertiliser so I don't know how much she put in, probably the same as she's used to doing with the plants at the nursery.

Good advice about Folar feeding. I have more reading to do... I think this is feeding by spraying water directly ontp the leaves. If so I guess this would not be advisable when the light is on or there'd be a risk of causing more burn from the water droplets magnifying concentrating the rays of light on a small area of leaf.

I'll report back with what happens but I'd really appreciate any more comments anyone has that might help.

Ok, I got a little more info on the soil used... Details taken from one of the bags;

Major constituent - Sphagnum Moss Peat.
pH (H20) - 5.4-5.9
Recommended use - Bedding and pot plants (as in potted plants).
Amount of fertiliser added mg/l N132, P66, K128

Edit - Just to clarify, 'amount of fertiliser added' refers to what was already in the bag, not the slow release stuff we put in.

Ok that helps a bit but doesn't give you an idea of the soil/nutes condition now. The problemis also that this is a general all purpose fertiliser. The plants a re now well into there bloom cycle and need more specific nutrients. By the looks of the plants they have not entered the second or third budding stage due to a lack of the correct nutes. The PH of the soil is probably off a bit as well so any nutes in the soil that the plants are craving are not being absorbed. It is a difficult problem to correct at this stage. The plants have given up and are close to mature for that reason. The pistols, white hairs have all turned red and there are mo new whit hairs. This is a good sign of maturity. I would fresh flash the root ball and flar feed for two-three days and pick. The smoke will be ok and the plants will probably not mature much more even if you could fix the problem, whitch you can't at this stage. Smoke and enjoy my friend ;)-"

Ok that helps a bit but doesn't give you an idea of the soil/nutes condition now... The PH of the soil is probably off a bit as well

No... Earlier today the soil was tested using a cheap Ph meter. I know cheap ones are next to useless for this but for what it's worth it gave a reading of roughly 7 for the soil in the pots. The tap water also appears to be the same. I think plants prefer something slightly the other side of neutral. Assuming it's even remotely accurate do you think 7 would be enough to cause lockout? Will see tomorrow about getting a more accurate reading, just wasn't possible today. It's all pretty much academic now because as you say the plants have more or less given up now. The largest of the three is wilting at the main stem, the top bud is more or less horizontal :-( but it's be good to try to diagnose the problem as far as possible for future grows. It's all a learning process after all.

l Smoke and enjoy my friend

Yes, probably the only real option now. Could you tell me what you mean by fresh flash the root ball? Did you make a typo and mean fresh flush?

Cheers :peace::Namaste::high-five:

MJ 123

Fresh flush is what I meant.
PH 7 is really quite hight, certainly enough to cause this problem. A normal PH should be 5.5-5.8, if mine hit 7 I would freak out!
As you say it's a learning experience, I've been at it 23 years now and am still learning and trying new grow methods etc. I've just put my first coco in after 23 years of Hydro/airoponics. Can't wait to take on a new learning experience. I'm about to start a grow journal with my new setup so take a look sometime. There's plenty of information out there to help you through your next grow. Anyway, hope I could help a bit, after all it's about the hurb and we should all share! Good luck in the future!
Mr Messy

Yes, fresh flush is what I thought you meant :)

The plants were pulled yesterday, flushed overnight and are now hanging upsidedown. Quick dried some last night, it smokes fine with no crackles and is no less potent than most of the stuff available to buy round here so no disaster in the end.

As far as the Ph is concerned the guy running a growshop near here said he doesn't keep any gear for testing soil Ph, only hydro run off, because no one round here ever worries about Ph seeing as most soil mixes are buffered. I think this means they have something added to stabilise the Ph. Even so if it's been getting Ph 7 water poured on it I guess that'll have some effect. If someone was going to use that water maybe they'd do well to add a little vinegar to bring the Ph down a little.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. You've been a big help. 23 years must've taught you a thing or two. I'm grateful to be able to benefit from your experience.

Good luck with the new set up. I'll keep a look out for your journal and maybe learn some more

Cheers mate

MJ 123

Cool.have a nice smoke

Back
Top Bottom