LED Grow Light Review

I'm getting them on "The Bay" $100 USD for 4 panels. Shipping is about two weeks so plan ahead.

ALL RED 900 LED 4 GROW LIGHT PANELS HYDROPONIC LAMP - eBay (item 290375909000)

Last night the aliens placed some thoughts in my head. What if I built a 2' x2' box 8' tall. Starting at 2' I could place one panel per ft. on each wall all the way to the top. Apx 60W per vert. ft. and a total of 360W evenly distibuted along the height of the plant.

Ok, easy on the wake and bake! Good Sativa x Good Coffee = I'm trippin.

HydroGrowLED, what is your product's take on phytochrome flowering?

I understand that even in the vegetation phase dark period is mandatory or the plants can stress into males or otherwise lower potential. I know it is a controversial topic with some people but I see a lot of credible-sounding folks who insist on the dark period when still leafing.

Do folks here agree a one minute exposure at 730nm can shorten dark by as much as half, and that only LEDs are an optimal source?

Thanks all, still learning.

HydroGrowLED, what is your product's take on phytochrome flowering?

I understand that even in the vegetation phase dark period is mandatory or the plants can stress into males or otherwise lower potential. I know it is a controversial topic with some people but I see a lot of credible-sounding folks who insist on the dark period when still leafing.

Do folks here agree a one minute exposure at 730nm can shorten dark by as much as half, and that only LEDs are an optimal source?

Thanks all, still learning.
I wouldnt ask hydrogrowled a thing. Throw some money at them and Im sure you can get an answer, other then that, good luck. You seem like a smart person, I assure you will find the answer else where.

The action spectrum of the light needed for these responses shows a peak in the red at about 660 nm.
These responses can be reversed by an application of far-red light (peak at 730 nm) soon after the red treatment.
Sensitive spectrophotometers can measure a decrease in absorbance at 660 nm and in increase in absorbance at 730 nm when sensitive plant tissues are exposed to red (660 nm) light.
The change in absorbance is caused by the conversion of a the photoreceptor from one structural form to another. The red-absorbing form changes to the far-red absorbing form when it absorbs red light (660 nm) and back again when it absorb far-red light (730 nm).

...The action spectrum of the light needed for these responses shows a peak in the red at about 660 nm.
These responses can be reversed by an application of far-red light (peak at 730 nm) soon after the red treatment.
Sensitive spectrophotometers can measure a decrease in absorbance at 660 nm and in increase in absorbance at 730 nm when sensitive plant tissues are exposed to red (660 nm) light.
The change in absorbance is caused by the conversion of a the photoreceptor from one structural form to another. The red-absorbing form changes to the far-red absorbing form when it absorbs red light (660 nm) and back again when it absorb far-red light (730 nm).

What is the net effect on the plant's growth of these changes in band absorption? And I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "these responses". It seems like you're saying that when a plant receives one of the two bands, it stops receiving that band and prepares to receive the other band. What does that accomplish?

I don't know if it was already mentioned in this thread but has anybody used the local sponsor's GROWL led? I always see the banner, and have always wondered, but can't seem to find much on them. Around here that is.

Sorry if I interrupted guys. No disrespect.

-Go

I am new to the growth side of the medicine. I have a space for indoor growth that is 52" wide, 32" deep and 9 feet tall. I want to get a high yield and would appreciate any suggestions on my LED lighting needs. How many plants can I grow in a 32" x 52" space? How tall do the plants generally get? I was thinking that I might be able to do 3 shelves at 3 ft high each. What is the best approach as far as LED lighting needs for the space listed above.

Welcome to 420Magazine. You might not get the help that you were looking for as this is someone's LED review in the Grow Supply Product Reviews forum.

52" wide, 32" deep and 9 feet tall.

That's almost enough to run two levels. Actually, I have done that with such height but that was my first scrog intro (using flouro tubes).

How many plants can I grow in a 32" x 52" space? How tall do the plants generally get?

That's 11.556 square feet. You could grow anywhere from one plant to 104 (at nine plants per square foot) depending on how you wish to grow and the strain(s) you choose.

Height could be anywhere from a foot or so up to all the way to your ceiling, depending on how you wish to grow and the strain(s) that you choose.

We have several forums where such basic info is available for all to read. You might find that doing a good bit of reading in these forums will help you with such background questions and also help you decide which way you wish to grow:

How to Grow Marijuana
Frequently Asked Questions

There are also lots of people who monitor those forums and try to help new growers learn.

We also have quite a few sub-forums in the Growers Forums that get into more specific areas of growing. And there are in-progress and completed journals of others' grows available in our Grow Journals forum.

Not ragging on you, lol. Just wanted to point out that there are better sections of the site for the basic stuff and that a little (well, a lot) of reading will be priceless if you decide to go forward.

LED Grow Light Benefits:

* Best for your Plants: Red and Blue LED bulbs are suitable for plants heightening and thriving.
* Can be used to control florescence in hydro and restrain flowering for stronger stem and leaves.
* More Efficient: 100% of the power input for our LED grow lights is used for your plant chlorophyll production.
* Less Heat: Low heated LED bulbs will protect your plants well.
* Less Trouble: No need to choose and set up the reflector for different plants. One Lamp is All!
* No infrared ray and ultraviolet radiation to destroy your plants.
* The best lighting time (led grow light lighting time plus sunlight lighting time) for plant growing should be 10-14hrs.
* When your plants need more light please lower down the height. The light wouldn't burn plants close to them.
* Perfect for indoor growing.
* Minimal heat to keep your plants from burning.
* Hanging hardware for easy to set up in minutes!
* Brand new in retail package and ready to ship.

LED Grow Light Benefits:

* Best for your Plants: Red and Blue LED bulbs are suitable for plants heightening and thriving.
* Can be used to control florescence in hydro and restrain flowering for stronger stem and leaves.
* More Efficient: 100% of the power input for our LED grow lights is used for your plant chlorophyll production.
* Less Heat: Low heated LED bulbs will protect your plants well.
* Less Trouble: No need to choose and set up the reflector for different plants. One Lamp is All!
* No infrared ray and ultraviolet radiation to destroy your plants.
* The best lighting time (led grow light lighting time plus sunlight lighting time) for plant growing should be 10-14hrs.
* When your plants need more light please lower down the height. The light wouldn't burn plants close to them.
* Perfect for indoor growing.
* Minimal heat to keep your plants from burning.
* Hanging hardware for easy to set up in minutes!
* Brand new in retail package and ready to ship.

Cool. As soon as prices come down and someone figures out how to match HID results, I'm in.

I want to believe too.

But after reading threads here and elsewhere, it seems LED's are still no match for HID's.

Growers end up using a 4 to 6 90W UFOs in a 9 sq foot closet to do what one 600 W HID can accomplish.

Correct me if I am wrong , but where's the saving in electricity? Or costs?

Again, I would love to embrace the new tech but it's just not ready yet.

I would think the only savings would come in two forms. First, the heat factor and not having to cool the grow as much. Two, from the potential longevity of the lights and not having to replace bulbs.

Wish these lights were less expensive.

I would think the only savings would come in two forms. First, the heat factor and not having to cool the grow as much. Two, from the potential longevity of the lights and not having to replace bulbs.

Wish these lights were less expensive.

actually not exactly true. The LED wavelength is exactly that of what the plants need. So, since HID lights waste a huge amount of energy on wavelength, it should be pretty easy to say the LED's can outperform efficiency wise HID.

Heat factor is a bit of a misinformed state. From my knowledge, a 600W led light will burn the exact same heat as a 600HID, or a 600W toaster, or a 600W
computer.

I've seen 2 main brands people give credit to, HydroGrowLed, and GrowLedHydro. GLH recently gave away a 760W LED panel to Irishboy, and he did a fairly amazing grow. However, I believe people in the grow were comparing this 760W LED grow, with his previous grow using 150W LED model from HGL, and thus declaring that the better company is GLH based on those results? Seems weird to me.

Anyways, I noticed both companies have their 300W LED light products on this websites for $1000-$1200 dollars. Ouch! Thats a bit high, I noticed suppliers for ~ $750 for 600W models
BiugmugB2k_KGrHqYH-DoEt_cqyH6LBLQcyHisvQ_35.jpg

edit: after fact, found that this company on ebay is actually USA based and does repairs and shipping in USA

thats nearly double the wattage for much lower price. So, it seems this light is made in China, but aren't the LED's the same and all come from China anyways? So, possibly the construction is cheaper and more likely to break or go bad compared to American made?

Anyways, I noticed some companies use 3W led's, 2W led's or 1W led's, I heard some "bro-knowledge" that 3 x 1W LED will be stronger that 1 x 3W LED. Are 1 W led's the most efficient and powerful ? Can anyone back this up?

Anyways, I don't own an LED light, but was just researching as they could possibly have some benefits for me. Thanks for reading an opinions.

... The LED wavelength is exactly that of what the plants need. So, since HID lights waste a huge amount of energy on wavelength, it should be pretty easy to say the LED's can outperform efficiency wise HID....

Really? What wavelengths are you referring to here? It seems to me that every manufacturer and private builder puts in different mixes of wavelengths, and so far nobody has managed to come up with a combination that matches HIDs in flowering performance.

Maybe I've missed a bunch in the last few weeks, but I don't see ANY LEDs even matching HIDs in performance, let alone outperforming them...

Really? What wavelengths are you referring to here? It seems to me that every manufacturer and private builder puts in different mixes of wavelengths, and so far nobody has managed to come up with a combination that matches HIDs in flowering performance.

Maybe I've missed a bunch in the last few weeks, but I don't see ANY LEDs even matching HIDs in performance, let alone outperforming them...

well, you are partially correct. I misstated, let me try again. HID lights produce light output, however the spectrum is really bad. Meaning, a huge portion of the light goes to things like visible light, or stuff that plants hardly use. So, that 600w HID you are using, is spending a huge % of its energy on things that just generate heat, but dont help a plant.

There is very specific ranges that plants use for photosynthesis. I'm not sure exactly which ones off hand, but its easily researched. Something like 660nm red and 450 nm blue. LED manufactured could have this data easily. So, the advantage of LED becomes targeting and not wasting tons of energy on useless spectrums that plants ignore, and just generates heat.

Also longevity of LED's is good too. Irishboy has a good show with LED lights, he was using a 760W model i believe and got nearly .75w/gram. That about matches HID, so it proves LED are viable, but I would like to see well over 1 g/w to really take advantage of leds

i m new to all this but assumably i d be right in saying the chance of getting caught by thermal imaging / FLIR doing a LED grow room is neglible? ......i cant believe more people aren t worried about this as but all this thread seems to concentrate on is the finaces / yeild etc. Here in UK we seem to get buzzed by officer dibble in his chopper all the time so I am looking to stay away from HPS.....but worried about poor flowering with LED.
any commments valued

In the US the courts have ruled that the police need a warrant or probable cause to use thermal imaging. This doesn't mean they don't cheat sometimes but personally I don't hear about this happening much anymore - indoors.

They sell IR block here as well - not sure if you have access to that product across the pond.

I think the latest generation of LEDs has proved that flowering is no longer an issue - at least I've been convinced anyway. The last issue that I personally consider legitimate is the barrier to entry. It's a more expensive up front cost.

For that small closet grower looking to take care of his own needs and run a few plants, it's a perfect solution; maybe $400 ish for the light. For those larger growers, buying multiple $2000 600watt lights is damn expensive.

You should be able to get .8 to 1.2 grams per watt with a decent (short to medium height) strain.

For that small closet grower looking to take care of his own needs and run a few plants, it's a perfect solution; maybe $400 ish for the light. For those larger growers, buying multiple $2000 600watt lights is damn expensive.

Then again if a grower is producing more than 28 ounces per harvest, a few (or even many) thousand(s of) dollars might just be considered a reasonable expense. What's the going rate of "donation" for a good ounce in a Cali dispensary, lol?

It's all relative, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom