LED start up advice

TannerCast

420 community,

As a new member here I'd like to jump right into some discussion and perhaps get some advice. I'm new to the indoor growing scene, but have been excited to start for some time. I'm a medical patient and plan on growing for myself year round. At the moment I have the means to set up a 4x4 tent and am looking to grow with an LED platform. I'm thinking of doing a 8-12 plant veg to flower scrog setup in the same tent for my first grow. Will eventually move to a steady rotation once I get a veg tent set up. Babysteps me thinks... Anyhow, I've been reading about LEDs and it seems like every time I get close to finding what I think is a good set-up, I find new info out. Almost bought into the Platinum lights but have recently been reading some unpleasant reviews/complaints. Am still unsure of my decision as there is such a plethora of information out there that I keep loosing myself in the search for my perfect set up. So, here's what I"m thinking.. Also, looking to stay in the 1200-1500 range for everything

I'll be growing in/with:

48"x48"x80" tent
VenTech VT IF6+CF6 inline duct fan with virgin charcoal carbon filter combo (440 crm, 6")
growing in soil (FFHF)
FF liquid nutes
genreal humidity monitor/timers/etc..
strains yet to be determined (indica strong)
and now for the lights....

This is where i could really use some help from you fine people..

I think I've got it down to either optic lighting or the true Advanced lighting system. Here's what I was thinking as possible routes,

1. 500 Watt vero29.. price $999
states it's designed for 48"x44' area.. Actual draw=500w.. comes with X3 lens.. 4 high powered Bridgelux Vero29 V2 LED chips @ 4000K.. 400-800nm.... PAR= 1,600.7umol@16"... Lux: 144050@16"

2. 500 Watt CXB3590 LED.... price 1199.99
States it's also designed for 48x44 area.. Actual draw=500.. X3 lens.. 4 high powered Cree CXB LED chips @ 3000K... PAR =1,750.2umol@16".. Lux: 135000 @16"

3. 2 AdvancedLED Diamond series 200-extreme 3w... $545x2= 1090
1 core coverage = 2.5x3ft.. 2 for 4x4??.. Actual draw for one= 185w (370).. Bridgelux blue and white 3w LEDs... not sure of PAR and lux..

4. 1 AdvancedLED Diamond series 400W....995
core coverage 2.5ftx4ft... actual draw 360w.. Bridgelux blue and white 3w LEDs... not sure of PAR and lux..

My questions:
Am I even on the right track? If so what sounds like the best set up?
between the two optic lights how should I weigh the trade off between the PAR and Lux?

All in all i'm leaning towards the vero29 500W. If I'm correct the 4000K will be better if I want to use for veg and flower correct? Is there anything else out there that you all would recommend? I've heard a bit about area51 but seem to go down a rabbit hole trying find a direct link to purchase. Emailed them but haven't heard back yet so am a bit frustrated. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated from you all.

hi, i have in 4x4 grow tent 960 true watts , 2- platinum p300 ,185 true watts each. 1- platinum 450, 255 true watts. and 1 mars hydro reflector 192x5 380 true watts.the mars Was the last I put in my tent Before i add it in my tent was lack of light . hope its halp you :)

420 community,

As a new member here I'd like to jump right into some discussion and perhaps get some advice. I'm new to the indoor growing scene, but have been excited to start for some time. I'm a medical patient and plan on growing for myself year round. At the moment I have the means to set up a 4x4 tent and am looking to grow with an LED platform. I'm thinking of doing a 8-12 plant veg to flower scrog setup in the same tent for my first grow. Will eventually move to a steady rotation once I get a veg tent set up. Babysteps me thinks... Anyhow, I've been reading about LEDs and it seems like every time I get close to finding what I think is a good set-up, I find new info out. Almost bought into the Platinum lights but have recently been reading some unpleasant reviews/complaints. Am still unsure of my decision as there is such a plethora of information out there that I keep loosing myself in the search for my perfect set up. So, here's what I"m thinking.. Also, looking to stay in the 1200-1500 range for everything

I'll be growing in/with:

48"x48"x80" tent
VenTech VT IF6+CF6 inline duct fan with virgin charcoal carbon filter combo (440 crm, 6")
growing in soil (FFHF)
FF liquid nutes
genreal humidity monitor/timers/etc..
strains yet to be determined (indica strong)
and now for the lights....

This is where i could really use some help from you fine people..

I think I've got it down to either optic lighting or the true Advanced lighting system. Here's what I was thinking as possible routes,

1. 500 Watt vero29.. price $999
states it's designed for 48"x44' area.. Actual draw=500w.. comes with X3 lens.. 4 high powered Bridgelux Vero29 V2 LED chips @ 4000K.. 400-800nm.... PAR= 1,600.7umol@16"... Lux: 144050@16"

2. 500 Watt CXB3590 LED.... price 1199.99
States it's also designed for 48x44 area.. Actual draw=500.. X3 lens.. 4 high powered Cree CXB LED chips @ 3000K... PAR =1,750.2umol@16".. Lux: 135000 @16"

3. 2 AdvancedLED Diamond series 200-extreme 3w... $545x2= 1090
1 core coverage = 2.5x3ft.. 2 for 4x4??.. Actual draw for one= 185w (370).. Bridgelux blue and white 3w LEDs... not sure of PAR and lux..

4. 1 AdvancedLED Diamond series 400W....995
core coverage 2.5ftx4ft... actual draw 360w.. Bridgelux blue and white 3w LEDs... not sure of PAR and lux..

My questions:
Am I even on the right track? If so what sounds like the best set up?
between the two optic lights how should I weigh the trade off between the PAR and Lux?

All in all i'm leaning towards the vero29 500W. If I'm correct the 4000K will be better if I want to use for veg and flower correct? Is there anything else out there that you all would recommend? I've heard a bit about area51 but seem to go down a rabbit hole trying find a direct link to purchase. Emailed them but haven't heard back yet so am a bit frustrated. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated from you all.

Here are the datasheets for Advanced LED, which shows all the details including draw, sound, PAR and other measurements.

Datasheets

I use the Advanced XTE series and so far I really like them.

Hi Tanner

I have 2 Mars Hydro 192 X 5w reflectors (+600w combined draw) in same size tent and they seem to be sufficient.
They were $519 for the pair, shipping included.

Happy growing

I run 1 Advanced XML 650 in a 4x4. Coverage is excellent and plants seem to love it. I am a complete rookie but am just finishing what I consider a very successful grow. The light has dials to independently control the 3w red/blue LEDs and 10W white LEDs (not a game changer IMO but a nice feature). This is a nice option for seedlings. It's also nice to view plants under the white light as well. I paid full price for mine and wasn't asked to showcase it in any way. You can find lights cheaper that will "do the job" but the XML 650 was built for. 4x4.

There are good threads about DIY panels out there and that is an option. Personally, I only need to provide for 1 person and a single setup with 2 harvests/yr will supply her 5 times over. I consider this a hobby. As I mentioned, it's a bit spendy. That being said, if you factor in the difference in performance with respect to cost over 50,000 hrs, cost is not even a consideration and warranty kicks in. Think about how, where, and what it's going to take to get a faulty panel serviced.

Only other comment... Think about a 4" inline fan instead of the 6". Even on variable control, my 6" sounds like a jet compared to the 4". I'm learning my lesson on fans. I've had my hands on 4 of them so far and had very mixed results. Like eith anything cheap, you might get that "diamond in the rough" but statistics say you're more likely to get something that "does the job". I've got all Amazon ventechs and 1 is awesome! The other 3 are out of balance, knocking bearing, or broke at 3 months. Yeah, unfortunately for me, my "diamond" was the first one I bought.

Good luck in whichever route you take! There is more than 1 way to skin a cat!!!

Back
Top Bottom