Calling All lighting experts for advice

CADBOY

Let's keep this all super easy and basic.
Is 240 QB Samsung diodes sufficiently gonna grow 4 plants ina 3x3 tent ?

1st pic 60cm above floor the 2nd is 30cm above.
20201011_211043.jpg

I dont understand Par/nmol values. Just lux and watts. So basic question looking for basic answers here to help guide my choice of led lights purchase.

Let's keep this all super easy and basic.
Is 240 QB Samsung diodes sufficiently gonna grow 4 plants ina 3x3 tent ?

1st pic 60cm above floor the 2nd is 30cm above.
20201011_211043.jpg

I dont understand Par/nmol values. Just lux and watts. So basic question looking for basic answers here to help guide my choice of led lights purchase.
Par is what is will cover bro sqfootage wise.. lux. Shoes you how intense it will be umols is ppfd anything over 100 umols extra fresh CO2 needed or water hydro to my best understanding

Par is what is will cover bro sqfootage wise.. lux. Shoes you how intense it will be umols is ppfd anything over 100 umols extra fresh CO2 needed or water hydro to my best understanding

My only real concern is my diy light is square, this new one is rectangle. I'm kinda worried about light drop off further from center. But if only100 umols is needed I should be ok

Looks like it drops off quite a lot towards the outside, that might b an issue

I agree. That's why I'm looking for experience pple to give me feedback. ,) I guess I could get this new 240w light now for veg. Then add another 1 before flower, then I'd be at 480w on a 3x3 tent. I've previously been doing 185w for the whole tent...

I dont understand Par/nmol values.

Need least 500 on plant. 750 better. More that, curve flatten unless got gas and temps.

Auto 1.5x less okay - more hours yea?

1000 umols not 100

My only real concern is my diy light is square, this new one is rectangle. I'm kinda worried about light drop off further from center. But if only100 umols is needed I should be ok
No bro I edited sorry 1000 umols.

Rectangular light just position it in the middle of the tent . Maybe look at some side bars for the outsides mars hydro sells some decent bars they are a sponsor here .

it does drop off a lot to the outside.

just going on watts - 240w in a 3x3 is just enough. i flowered successfully in a similar space at 200w. my rig doesn't have the drop off at the edges though. it's gonna be an extended flower under 240w and maybe not the quality you could otherwise achieve.

i upgraded my flower rig from adequate to overkill and make use of a dimmer. would recommend that approach to anyone. i'm now running 600w in just under 4x4 in flower. i only run at about 75% though, so i'm drawing in the 450w range. i don't use c02 or anything even though my ppfd is probably up where folk say you could.

i also like running rigs that fill the top of the space / tent side to side / front to back. qb style built as platters or rail type lights act as single source on the edges, creating the drop off. led travels very directional, the greatest intensity is always straight down. multiple panel qb, strip, and multiple cob, designs are way better at avoiding this. or simply multiple lights. something to keep in mind when exploring options.

Ok guys, need assistance in this last choice...
@SmokeSara @Emilya @TorturedSoul @Stormblessed and everyone els ;)

Purely from a price vs performance decision...

Pretend this is your 3x3 tent with 4 plants and your looking to get max size plants with lowest cost possible... what option would you choose?

All Marshydro products...

2x SP150 - 150w (no dimmable)
1x TWS 2000 - 300w (Dimmable)
1x FC 3000 - 300w (Dimmable)

i think the last two are rails ...

matched pair of either of the last two.

edit: and run the dimmers. you won't look back

i am making this same decision, tho for a 3 x 3 tent,,

the local grow store guy might have me convinced to go old school,, hps,,

for less than half the price of led,, and i buy local which helps everyone

a nice little 150 watt hps unit,, i will have to research if that is adequate for a 3x3

but i might just go back in time instead of forward. i like that idea for a change,,

a nice little 150 watt hps unit,, i will have to research if that is adequate for a 3x3

but i might just go back in time instead of forward. i like that idea for a change,,

go back there and slap him..

edit: i mean it. you are getting used.

Bro.. DONT BUY HPS. LEDs my friend.

I'm also looking to buy leds for a 3x3 tent. My issue is I dont wanna upgrade next year after I buy them. I want to run them for many years to come.

i think the last two are rails ...

matched pair of either of the last two.

edit: and run the dimmers. you won't look back

1st option are "Bar lights"
2nd is Square Quantum board style
3rd is litterly exactly like my DIY build lol

Ok guys, need assistance in this last choice...
@SmokeSara @Emilya @TorturedSoul @Stormblessed and everyone els ;)

Purely from a price vs performance decision...

Pretend this is your 3x3 tent with 4 plants and your looking to get max size plants with lowest cost possible... what option would you choose?

All Marshydro products...

2x SP150 - 150w (no dimmable)
1x TWS 2000 - 300w (Dimmable)
1x FC 3000 - 300w (Dimmable)
Sorry, but I am far from a lighting expert, and to make matters worse, I have never even seen a Mars light up close so as to be able to experience their high quality, although I do hope that changes in the near future. Good luck with whichever you decide on, I am sure it will be a wise choice!

1st option are "Bar lights"
2nd is Square Quantum board style
3rd is litterly exactly like my DIY build lol

you the guy that did the cookie sheet .. :laughtwo:

i thought that killed lol ...

edit: it's not a put down. it's not a bad idea. aluminium is the perfect heat sink. i woulda done channels.

My DIY light....

edit: it's not a put down. it's not a bad idea. aluminium is the perfect heat sink. i woulda done channels.

My DIY led. Samsung diodes lm301b.
300w max - Dimmable - that black box tells me wattage, Voltage, Amps ect... Meanwell Driver.
All 100% from Scratch....

20201012_123807.jpg
20201012_123836.jpg

I was too lazy to buy heatsinks, so I strapped a 24" box fan to it for a "heatsink" and because it moves the air in the tent and the plants love it...

Back
Top Bottom