Light burn seedlings

toddtony

So I’ve been growing for the first time …MY seedlings we’re doing fine 2 are coming up on the 3rd week and the other just off the 2nd I adjusted the space between them and my led light which I believe draws 100w from wall got busy and came back plants seem to have been severely burned wondering if there’s anything that can be done or if it’s even worth continuing to grow these ?.. over the course of a day one looks far worse than the others and seems to be gradually getting worse any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

They are just in sungro organic black Gold potting soil no added anything

5AB7B6FE-1FCD-42B7-BBE3-E0769E61456E.jpeg

E8177330-4951-4119-8F49-A324AA26CB7C.jpeg

EA1DEB5B-ABF4-414A-B262-7250B69AF510.jpeg

A09EF965-06E1-4185-99C9-5BEE012D9B07.jpeg

So I’ve been growing for the first time …MY seedlings we’re doing fine 2 are coming up on the 3rd week and the other just off the 2nd I adjusted the space between them and my led light which I believe draws 100w from wall got busy and came back plants seem to have been severely burned wondering if there’s anything that can be done or if it’s even worth continuing to grow these ?.. over the course of a day one looks far worse than the others and seems to be gradually getting worse any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

They are just in sungro organic black Gold potting soil no added anything

5AB7B6FE-1FCD-42B7-BBE3-E0769E61456E.jpeg

E8177330-4951-4119-8F49-A324AA26CB7C.jpeg

EA1DEB5B-ABF4-414A-B262-7250B69AF510.jpeg

A09EF965-06E1-4185-99C9-5BEE012D9B07.jpeg

This isn’t light burn. It definitely seems root related. Perhaps the soil was too hot which is a bit odd, but not unheard of. Basically too many nutrients were too available and it overwhelmed the plants. Or this could be pest related. Perhaps the bag of soil was infested with some little baddies like fungus gnats or root aphids and since your plants are so young they’ve decimated them.

You could try rescuing them since they’re still so young but it doesn’t look promising. If the seeds didn’t cost you very much I would just restart with a seedling mix then transplant after 2 weeks above ground

If you plan on continuing to use the soil I would spread it out somewhere on a tarp and comb through it. See if you can find signs of pests. If you see no pests then you can be pretty confident you overwhelmed the plants somewhere. Maybe you added a fertilizer or nutrient you weren’t aware of. The soil says it comes with fertilizers added but I can’t find a list of what they are.

Ok I just saw your intro post. Another possibility is dehydration of the medium. The soil says it comes with fertilizer. Oftentimes those fertilizers are salt based. When the medium dries out those salt crystals expand and start frying the area around them. This can kill off the beneficials and cut into your roots.

It also looks like there’s not a lot of perlite in the mix. Between the low perlite and solo cup container your roots aren’t getting enough air either. It also appears as if they’re too dry as well. At such a young and tender age you don’t really want it to dry out completely, just most of the way. This is a tricky line that most new growers struggle with and some OG growers still stumble on. I can see the shape of your medium and it appears to be pulling away from the side of the cup this is a sign that you’re very dry.

I also read something about ziplock bags. Once they’re above ground, putting a ziplock bag over the top of the plant cuts off oxygen and prevents the plant from transpiring correctly. Especially in a solo cup. This is far more damaging to the plant than low humidity.

I don’t mean to overwhelm you with information, or discourage you lol. When it comes to growing, there are so many variables and factors that can affect your grow it’s better if you can know as many of them as possible to be able to isolate your issues.

This isn’t light burn. It definitely seems root related. Perhaps the soil was too hot which is a bit odd, but not unheard of. Basically too many nutrients were too available and it overwhelmed the plants. Or this could be pest related. Perhaps the bag of soil was infested with some little baddies like fungus gnats or root aphids and since your plants are so young they’ve decimated them.

You could try rescuing them since they’re still so young but it doesn’t look promising. If the seeds didn’t cost you very much I would just restart with a seedling mix then transplant after 2 weeks above ground

If you plan on continuing to use the soil I would spread it out somewhere on a tarp and comb through it. See if you can find signs of pests. If you see no pests then you can be pretty confident you overwhelmed the plants somewhere. Maybe you added a fertilizer or nutrient you weren’t aware of. The soil says it comes with fertilizers added but I can’t find a list of what they are.
Thanks for the info and not discouraging at all lmao I was certain I was going to screw something up somewhere seeds are just out of random buds and I have more so could restart…
question though if the soil was to powerful wouldn’t there have been signs earlier? I noticed no discoloration or anything until the day I moved them around
As for the dry soil I believe I remember the first day it had gotten to dry I figured out the tiny fan in there was effectively acting as a dehumidifier kinda drying out everything thought I had added sufficient enough water back perhaps not.

Also, prior to this all the stems have been very flimsy, and would flop/slouch all over the place wasn’t sure if this was due to young age,lack of wind/airflow they had been receiving ,( which is why I was trying the fan)or perhaps it has something to do with the roots as you had brought up?

Also my state is currently under attack by moths and they constantly get in the grow space

Thanks for the info and not discouraging at all lmao I was certain I was going to screw something up somewhere seeds are just out of random buds and I have more so could restart…

This is what I did for dialing in my inside cannabis specific grows. Growing a variety of stuff including cannabis outside versus specifically cannabis inside in containers are two different beasts so I used freely available seeds.

question though if the soil was to powerful wouldn’t there have been signs earlier? I noticed no discoloration or anything until the day I moved them around

Yep most likely would’ve seen issues right away. That’s why I gave other reasons as well because while it’s possible it didn’t seem likely. It’s definitely not light burn though.

As for the dry soil I believe I remember the first day it had gotten to dry I figured out the tiny fan in there was effectively acting as a dehumidifier kinda drying out everything thought I had added sufficient enough water back perhaps not.

Yeah it’s definitely too dry. You can tell from the coloring of the medium but also it just sort of looks dry to my eyes. You can judge this by the weight of the cup. @Emilya Green touched on watering and her link recommendation is spot on. It’s where I learned proper watering myself.

Also, prior to this all the stems have been very flimsy, and would flop/slouch all over the place wasn’t sure if this was due to young age,lack of wind/airflow they had been receiving ,( which is why I was trying the fan)or perhaps it has something to do with the roots as you had brought up?

This is usually a sign of not enough light. The plants are stretching themselves closer to the light to get more of it. They’re growing too tall for their size trying to get more light. I also recommend a fan moving air in the room enough that your plants gently sway. This will create stronger stems. The best way to avoid this altogether though is to either move your plants closer to the light, move the light closer to the plants, or get a more powerful light.

Also my state is currently under attack by moths and they constantly get in the grow space

That’s annoying. Stay vigilant. Maybe try hanging some sticky traps near where they can get in. Certain species of moth and their larva will feed on the plants so better not to take any risks.

Overall I would lean more on @Emilya Green Advice. She’s grown in containers longer than me and has seen far more sick plants than I have. She’s been around here for years and has an expert grasp on cannabis growth. Watering issues can look like almost every deficiency and issue there is. Underwatering can cause damage like I explained with the crystals but it can also just straight up damage the plant since plants require water. Overwatering can also be an issue as well, preventing the plant from controlling its rhizosphere and basically suffocating the roots.

Back
Top Bottom