Light to space ratio doubled? Thoughts?

RickieRay

yo guys long time listener havent posted in a while home fronts been a bit hectic but anyway.... I've upgraded all my nft gullies and made a mint rdwc plumbed it all outside the environment upgraded me nutes and keeping better track of my ph and ppms things are booming but I'm flipping into flower a couple of weeks earlier than wanted just wondering how people have gone adding more light into a space and upgrading fan's to keep the temps the same and adding to there yeild for instance I have 8 recirculating under 3x600w hps and fans working at 10% so I have heaps of room to move the area is 3mx1.5m.2m high and I'm thinking of adding potentially either another 600w hps or start my upgrade take out one of the lights and add In a new 1000w double ended hps with a broad shade and also a side note topic has any one ever seen people gradually feeding more and more untill it's up to double the recommended dosage and creating monsters???? these are the questions that keep me awake at night as well as the eventual doom of our planet circling a star in the middle of no where ! I'm also keen on peoples keep me awake at night topics for future reference!

Since you can vent the heat and if power consumption and money are not an issue, adding more light will definitely increase your yields. 1000w per sq/meter is a good goal for HPS, in my experience over 100w sq/foot is not worth it. You have 1800w, upgrading your 600w's to 1kw would almost double your yield if your plants fill in the space efficiently, adding a pair of 600w would also achieve the same, if I remember correctly the 600's are more power efficient.

As for DWC nutes, I don't think you could increase up to double ppm without burning the plants. Some plants can take more nutes then others, you can increase nutes slowly 100-200 ppm at a time until you see the very tips of the leaves start to burn and they get dark green, at that point you are pretty much at the max the plant can take but this can be risky especially with strong lights. FWIW I would suggest you stick to recommended ppm

1000W DE HPS Dimmabel Ballast

In my sig are 2 lighting videos. One on hoods which is a must see and you will convince yourself of an open tight hood.

If you start adding up the 10% for this and 10% for that for doing things right....you get huge returns for doing it right.

Do not cool the bulb
Do not have glass between the bulb and plant
Do not us a large hood spreading it out everywhere
Use a DE bulb
Use a modern digital ballast... (dimmable allows for fine control and distance adjustments.)

Also there is a link to a review of different lights that is good to watch. You will learn what it is you want in a light.

To cut to the chase. DE bulbs are the best. The people with the most advanced setup is Gavita using Philips bulbs. Philips makes the Gavita Bulb. Everyone else is at least 1 generation behind some 3. But many are great.

You can use your old stuff in veg or sell it. I use cheapo LEDs in Veg until they are big enough for my DE.

Lights are the place to spend money. Get spendy bulbs.

This is a generic Hydro feeding and enviro schedule. Sativa can easily be a month longer than Indicas so this is just a rule of thumb. The enviro stuff is the same no matter how you grow.

Oh and to be clear. Lights are one factor in a complex equation as to how fast they grow. Adding lights can lead to upping nutes. It can also lead to stunting or death from heat or light burn.

It is like anything. If you increase the PAR and maintain or improve the temps and humidity and increase airflow and up CO2...you will get increased uptake.

Creating your environment is actually kinda complicated. Most people find they change one thing at a time and have trouble but work it out. Like add a big light...burn the plants then go get a bigger fan. It is a process of slow improvement.

Another way is to start top notch and overbuild and be done. That doesn't mean spend money wastefully.

But lights is where its at. it is also a good idea to have a spare vent fan around in case of failure.

I would use other sizes really only for small areas. If you have the space to do it "correctly"...well um...

Just flipped tonight. Here's my room... 20181101_203902.jpg

Stardog, KGB, and orange banana sherbet....

Back
Top Bottom