Lighting questions

CS21

Hi guys, new medicinal grower here... and I am super excited to take this journey into trying to master the art!!

So I recently ran into a deal on some led lighting... now before I get hammered on for buying these I must explain...
I bought 3 600w Viparspectra Reflector series lights brand new for an amazing deal from someone who could not go ahead with their grow.
My entire setup is going to be a 3×3×6 veg tent and then the 8×4×7 flower tent... as this is my first grow I am only using the 8×4 all the way through (saves moving later) but I want to do a perpetual grow so this was my plan once I start my next batch...
Use 2 of the Viparspectra 600s in the veg tent since I heard they weren't bad for veg and then my question is what would be a good setup for my flowering tent knowing the viparspectra lights are not that good of red spectrum anyway I dont think I want to buy more of those...
Do I go with HPS or LED or a mix of both??
Please help... my goal is to grow the best green I possibly can seeing as I'm gonna be smoking it!!
TIA for your replies, and sorry for the long post.

Hi guys, new medicinal grower here... and I am super excited to take this journey into trying to master the art!!

So I recently ran into a deal on some led lighting... now before I get hammered on for buying these I must explain...
I bought 3 600w Viparspectra Reflector series lights brand new for an amazing deal from someone who could not go ahead with their grow.
My entire setup is going to be a 3×3×6 veg tent and then the 8×4×7 flower tent... as this is my first grow I am only using the 8×4 all the way through (saves moving later) but I want to do a perpetual grow so this was my plan once I start my next batch...
Use 2 of the Viparspectra 600s in the veg tent since I heard they weren't bad for veg and then my question is what would be a good setup for my flowering tent knowing the viparspectra lights are not that good of red spectrum anyway I dont think I want to buy more of those...
Do I go with HPS or LED or a mix of both??
Please help... my goal is to grow the best green I possibly can seeing as I'm gonna be smoking it!!
TIA for your replies, and sorry for the long post.

No need to apologize, Brother! Your post isn't that long! :laugh:

Strap yourself in, cuz' you're gonna' get lots of responses from people all telling you different things. There are advantages and disadvantages to all lighting options. It's best to really understand some of those and determine which would suit your style best.

The "HPS guys" will tell you that if you want "dense" nugs, you need to go with HPS. The "LED guys" will tell you that you'll get better quality with LED's due to the mixed spectrum. But, you can get mixed spectrum with HPS & CMH, and, I personally use LED's and get very dense nugs.

The LED's will cost you more up-front, but then you don't have to deal with bulb replacements; and most LED's come with a 2-3 year warranty.

In spite of the fact that you'll hear LED's run cooler and cost less in electric, I maintain that is not true. To compare the LED's with the HPS, you need to look at actual power draw from the wall and not the advertised wattage of the LED's. The same watts cost the same in electric and are going to generate about the same amount of heat.

I won't make a recommendation on which way you should go since I'm sure you'll get lots of those, but budget will play a big decision. You can get 1000w of HPS for around $100-$200. The same actual draw in LED's is probably closer to $700, even with cheap (but effective!) LED's.

I hope that helps, Bro! :goodluck:

No need to apologize, Brother! Your post isn't that long! :laugh:

Strap yourself in, cuz' you're gonna' get lots of responses from people all telling you different things. There are advantages and disadvantages to all lighting options. It's best to really understand some of those and determine which would suit your style best.

The "HPS guys" will tell you that if you want "dense" nugs, you need to go with HPS. The "LED guys" will tell you that you'll get better quality with LED's due to the mixed spectrum. But, you can get mixed spectrum with HPS & CMH, and, I personally use LED's and get very dense nugs.

The LED's will cost you more up-front, but then you don't have to deal with bulb replacements; and most LED's come with a 2-3 year warranty.

In spite of the fact that you'll hear LED's run cooler and cost less in electric, I maintain that is not true. To compare the LED's with the HPS, you need to look at actual power draw from the wall and not the advertised wattage of the LED's. The same watts cost the same in electric and are going to generate about the same amount of heat.

I won't make a recommendation on which way you should go since I'm sure you'll get lots of those, but budget will play a big decision. You can get 1000w of HPS for around $100-$200. The same actual draw in LED's is probably closer to $700, even with cheap (but effective!) LED's.

I hope that helps, Bro! :goodluck:

Yes this definately helps and I appreciate all opinions... I am a very thorough person and dont like to jump to conclusions right away and do understand that preference has alot to do with things as well. That was also one of the reasons I mentioned a mix of both possibly...
But one thing I need to mention is I was also wondering what would the actual wattage need to be in an 8×4 to be packing a real punch to get really nice yields... I'm thinking I will be around 10-12 plants per grow...
Budget is not as much of an issue as is getting the best product I can.
As I said I am a very diligent and a perfectionist so I really plan on putting alot of thought and effort into these decisions

There is no one perfect answer to your question. I agree with Mr. Krip's reply HPS vs LED. Personally I went with LED I'm extremely happy with my decision but then again this is what works for me.

cheers and best regards.

I am that I am. That being cannabis.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 41
There is no one perfect answer to your question. I agree with Mr. Krip's reply HPS vs LED. Personally I went with LED I'm extremely happy with my decision but then again this is what works for me.

cheers and best regards.

I understand that... what do you run for leds? How many watts per square foot? What are you yielding per plant? What size room you have?? You say they work good for you but what does that mean??
These are a few things that would also help... you dont really give much detail with your reply...

Yes this definately helps and I appreciate all opinions... I am a very thorough person and dont like to jump to conclusions right away and do understand that preference has alot to do with things as well. That was also one of the reasons I mentioned a mix of both possibly...
But one thing I need to mention is I was also wondering what would the actual wattage need to be in an 8×4 to be packing a real punch to get really nice yields... I'm thinking I will be around 10-12 plants per grow...
Budget is not as much of an issue as is getting the best product I can.
As I said I am a very diligent and a perfectionist so I really plan on putting alot of thought and effort into these decisions

You'd be fine with 1500w (you could get away with less, but if you have the budget...) and, if it were me, I'd probably go with TWO 1,000-1500w (actual draw!) fixtures.

You'd be fine with 1500w (you could get away with less, but if you have the budget...) and, if it were me, I'd probably go with TWO 1,000-1500w (actual draw!) fixtures.

Ok this definately helps me... thanks for the advice krip and I will continue doing some homework here to try and figure out what will be the best solution for my situation

Your welcome please ask us anything if we can help we will.
Very nice brotha!! Ok so I do still have a question or 2... is two 1000w lights better than three 600w lights?? Just asking for light spread basically??
My 8×4 only needs 1600w to make it 50w/SF.
Just wondering?? I know how important light is for big yields!!

Back
Top Bottom