Looks like we may have a volunteer

CanadianJim

Was getting some hanging baskets ready for planting and found this little guy. This particular basket was hanging under a branch of my Hindu Kush last summer after she was pollinated by my neighbour's sativa. I'm going to see if I can keep it alive through the cold snap this weekend, although it doesn't really fit into my plans this season. Maybe I'll give it to a friend to grow out.
volunteer.jpg

Any suggestions on protecting it from the frost? I'm thinking a clear dome, like half a 2 liter pop bottle, but I'm open to suggestions.

The pop bottle will work for a little guy like that.

25 years or more ago, while doing some river restoration work, I stumbled across a small guerilla grow where they cut the bottom out of 5gal water bottles and used as greenhouses for their plants. They never removed the bottle, just allowed the plant to grow up through the neck.

I am between the 2 lol just outside Windsor which you would have passed through travelling from Halifax to Windsor lol

Never been to TO short of just passing through, but have been to Windsor, ON quite a few trips and a few other places near there.

You are likely farther south than we are here but we don’t often get those Arctic Blasts that you guys get, jet stream tends to push those north of us more often than not. Here in the north end of the valley, we well are past any hard frosts unlike the rest of the province, but it’s been so wet and dreary the past few weeks, I haven’t even started my beds for this year yet and would normally have some girls out starting next week.

Windsor Ontario is pretty nice. Last time I was there was a holiday dinner a few years back.
We're at about 43 degrees North here, they say the Great Lakes are a "conflict zone" for the jet stream. It goes south of us for most of the winter letting the arctic air make it's way down here, then north of us for the summer bringing up air from the gulf of Mexico.
I was in Halifax in early August, it was 34 C here with 95% rh, and 22 there with a perfect breeze coming in off the sea.
Usually we get our last frost by about May 15th. The tradition is to wait until May 24 weekend just to make sure. Last year I got my HK in the ground by the 20th, year before that we were able to plant by the 10th. Hot peppers did great that year.

Yes, my mother and her husband lived in Windsor for about 15 years before moving back to NS a few tears ago. I used to go up there for 2 weeks to a month at a time doing renos to the old house they had bought. It was not uncommon to be walking around in a t-shirt in January there and I can see why it’s such a good agricultural area :)

Guess I am that way because most of my life I made do with what I could and not having much to begin with lol then I went back to school in my late 20s (not yesterday lol) and studied engineering and I am likely one of the few educated in engineering that hasn’t forgotten the 1st rule of engineering.

KISS - keep it simple stupid :rofl:

I'll update this thread a couple more times, near harvest and then with a yield and "smoke" report after the dry and cure, but here's what she looks like now. I hope she takes after her sister in the terps, she smelled like sweet apricots.
20200815_131833.jpgGetting close to 6 feet now.

Back
Top Bottom