Making Grow Room Checklist

How is the wiring in your basement? I have my tent in a small room where the breaker box is located. Only outlet I am using in the ceiling uses a good quality wire to the box. Wire is no more than 4’ long. I’ve eliminated the heater and humidifier from the equation this grow. 70 degrees in basement but winter is coming. I have a duct in place to run heat from the furnace if need be. Look into it. Installing a smoke detector in ceiling. Have yet to get an extinguisher.
It’s not exactly the best, I was initially going to make my basement bathroom into a grow room, but figured it’d be safer to get a tent due to insect issues in the summer (wasps, centipedes, gnats, & rolly pollies”) and I figured the cold of winter would be easier to fight in a tent. My basement has 3 breakers though there aren’t any outlets in the immediate area. My initial thought was to use a power strip (maybe two to avoid overloading) for fans and bring one of those big extension chords for tools in through a hole in the wall for the light. The hole is already there so figured that was convenient, as I cannot do any construction to the home

for basement - concrete slab can impact soil grows, use sheet foam insulation on concrete and elevate your tent above the slab by using a few pallets

dimmable LED is good - yup that Mars is 651 watts actual wattage draw running full blast
You mean the concrete floor? I assume you’re saying that the concrete floor being concrete makes the floor area colder, right? The bathroom in the basement has wood paneling on top of the concrete and tile on top of the paneling (yes its a bit wack) But the floor is lifted maybe 6-8 inches from the concrete, would this be good or would you recommend the sheet foam anyways?

Sorry for the spams, trying to wrap my head around everything I need to do and get lol. What would be better to have: an inline fan n filter with thermostat or inline fan n filter with speed controller?

You shouldn't need foam with that kind of distance. My plants in my basement only have a rug and then about a 2 inch riser under them and they are fine.
Thermo controller would probably be the most useful, but you have to look at your circumstances and figure out which will work better for you. Speed control can sort of be used like temp control, just in a very limited way, sound is mostly what is controlled by lowering speeds. I don't even have a controller on my fan, I plug it in when I need it and unplug when I don't. (extraction fan anyway, my air movement fans are always on)

You shouldn't need foam with that kind of distance. My plants in my basement only have a rug and then about a 2 inch riser under them and they are fine.
Thermo controller would probably be the most useful, but you have to look at your circumstances and figure out which will work better for you. Speed control can sort of be used like temp control, just in a very limited way, sound is mostly what is controlled by lowering speeds. I don't even have a controller on my fan, I plug it in when I need it and unplug when I don't. (extraction fan anyway, my air movement fans are always on)
Alright, so I’m thinking of getting two 6 inch inline fans & carbon filter with the temp control, since I’ll be getting 2 oscillation fans I think I should be good on fighting heat if an issue arises. I bumped my tent up to a 5 x 5 to fit the light I’ll be getting (Mars FC E6500) and I’ll be able to use this light throughout the whole grow, just change the dimness for seedling/veg/flower?

Most controllers these days have the option to plug in hygro/thermo sensors
I have mine on full constantly as it creates the negative pressure necessary for passive intake, otherwise I'd probably only run it at 50%
Yeah drop a hygrometer to confirm an indoor concrete slab stays about 55 degrees all year long
Oh alright that’s cool! Yeah I’d probably like to run mine a bit often since I don’t have access to fresh air outside. And with the hygrometers, I planned on getting a couple for different spots of the tent (top & bottom, possibly the middle) Any recommendation on where to get them?

glad you asked….

web search for hydro stores near me…. Go in person ask manager for help. Many of the standard issue made in China half decent hygrometers are on a card with slip off clamshell packaging…. Open 4 units and pop batteries in and then shop for 10 minutes and return to check on their readings….

maybe check them both ways cuz they give 2 readings…. they give local temp and rh when switched to one way and then you can press remote or outside and read thru the extended cable. The idea is that you can put hygrometer inside your home and then place the remote wire & sensor outside the window to get outside temp & rh….

I went thru a whole 12 count box to find 4 units that read close…. not even precise just close….

think hygrometers are about $12 to 15ish

You're getting some good advice, it won't be long until you're up and running. You probably only need one exhaust fan. Here's a link I found helpful for determining CFM requirements. The FC(E)6500 can fit inside a 4x4, it'll just be a bit of a squeeze if you do it. If you need to cut costs the FC4800 should also be able to flower a 4x4 just fine.

You're getting some good advice, it won't be long until you're up and running. You probably only need one exhaust fan. Here's a link I found helpful for determining CFM requirements. The FC(E)6500 can fit inside a 4x4, it'll just be a bit of a squeeze if you do it. If you need to cut costs the FC4800 should also be able to flower a 4x4 just fine.
I figured it’d be best to get 2 since my basement is very very dusty so having the fan/filter will help keep the air going inside the tent clean and the other taking air outside is to help keep the smell under control

Back
Top Bottom